What's new

Starting a website (1 Viewer)

Martice

Screenwriter
I would like to post some pictures of my HT equipment However, I need to start a web site and would like the most cost effective way to start.

I don't anything fancy just adequate.

Thanks

Darren

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
The easiest thing to do would be to check with your ISP. Many include a small amount of webspace in the monthly fee of your service. For example, I get 10Mb free with my connection. This is more than enough for a personal site.
If your ISP doesn't offer this, you might want to try Geocities or one of the sites listed on this page: Link Removed. It seems like this site has done a fair bit of research with free web hosting. YMMV.
Cheers,

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
also check out www.builder.com and Link Removed
Check out the second one for HTML help and the first one for design stuff. For a first website I would recommend using just notepad.exe as first off thats how I learned and secondly any of those WYSIWYG apps will build a page quick, but understanding what its doing is a big part of building a nice site.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Kris already mentioned how to host it for free. If you want your own name (domain) like www.yourname.com you'll need to register the name at someplace like http://www.godaddy.com and then find a host for it. For a basic host you should be able to host it for around $10-$15 a month or less. If you need help with the HTML and can't find the answer email me and I'll try to help you out.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
You can't upload your site to Geocites using FTP anymore. They also don't allow you to remote link to them eg placing a pic on a forum signature.

Martice

Screenwriter
Thanks for all of the help guys. Kelly, I went to Gazoo.net and immediately caught on to the basic HTML formatting described on the page. Although I believe it can get more complicated than what is being shown on the site, building a descent "non business" web-site shouldn't be that hard. BTW, what does "WYSIWYG" mean?
Kris, thanks for the link. I'm sure that I will be needing those links some time shortly.
I will be checking GoDaddy.com as well and it looks like Geocities get's the :thumbsdown:.
Once again thanks.
*** Brian I may be e-amiling you shortly and thanks again for the help.

Kevin_Graham

Stunt Coordinator
Great timing of this thread! I too want to start a personal website. With my family's help we want to document our family history in addition to posting new pics of our life today. We are complete novices at building a website so I'm sure the sites listed above will be of great help. The one question I have is how do you make it password protected?

WYSIWYG - What You See Is What You Get

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
I pretty decent free WYSIWYG editor is Netscape Composer, which comes built into Netscape 6.2. It allows you to quickly move between the HTML view, the layout view, and the preview view. That's probably a good program to start with. More professional web authoring software like Dreamweaver or FrontPage are going to run a few hundred dollars.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you just want to do basic stuff, for fun, I suggest:
- Frontpage Express (I assume it's still freely available); a decent little WYSIWYG editor
- Someone suggested Netscape Composer.
- MS Word, Powerpoint (and likely others) will export documents as HTML. This can serve as a makeshift web editor.
- One of the many free HTML text editors:
Arachnophilia
1st Page
As was said, your ISP likely provides web space. And there are the various online freebies (Geocities/Yahoo, Tripod, etc.)
If you got the hosting route, you can get packages for $7/mo. I use Server Central.
Good luck and have fun!

Alexander Diaz

Auditioning
AS being a veteran graphic and web-designer and a very popular one in the community, I would suggest learning by going to Link Removed register all of my domains at www.godaddy.com but not all free hosting providers will host your domain, and if they do they require you to move your domain onto their server, not a good idea, once your registraction is up, your dot com will be owned by that hosting company and they will jack up the price. I am running a small hosting company that has very nice prices and very good hosting rates. WYSIWYG editors are very good, If anyone wants to spend a few hundred bucks I would recommend Macromedia Dreamweaver I would say its one of the best on the market, Frontpage doesn't do it anymore. HTML is very easy and can be learned in a week. If you need any questions with HTML I will be more than happy to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks