Starting a prewire, have some questions...

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Scott Sheridan, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Scott Sheridan

Scott Sheridan Auditioning

Mar 29, 2005
    I am about to start a prewire and was wondering if there is anything I have to be cautious of regarding the speaker wireing. All I know is to stay away from ac runs. Is there any other things I need to know? Are metal staples ok to use? Or should I use plastic clamps instead? Any other suggestions for this prewire?

Thank You,

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999
    Welcome to the Forum, Scott! [​IMG]

You should use in-wall rated wire if that’s where the runs will be. Any method of stapling that doesn’t damage the wire (especially cut through all the way down to the copper) is fine.

As far as other suggestions, I like to leave enough slack at both ends to take the wire straight out of the wall to the receiver and speakers. This eliminates the need and expense, not to mention potential for problems, of in-line termination points such as wall plates.

Unfortunately, if this is new construction where various contractors are present leaving slack may not be an option. Often it will end up being damaged or intentionally cut short by sheetrockers, painters, etc.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt
  3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

May 10, 1999
    to horn into a discussion already in process - I really don't have much to say on pre-wiring.

Nor am I likely to be involved in a situation where I will have the opportunity in the near future.

However, instead of running wire, which seems to have a number of issues already addressed by Wayne, how much does it add to the cost to add low-voltage conduit, where you can pull whatever it is you want/need as you figure it out?

Leo Kerr
  4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999

When in doubt - pull extra.

3 runs to the rear (for the rear center)

Buy blank wall plates and drill holes for the wires to fit through for the custom look. You can always put plates with binding posts on later.

Use 12 ga, in-wall rated speaker wire.