Starting a MTM Center Channel project to match my SST8's

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mike Keith, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

I posted over at HT guide and AR as well, since they host pictures, so you can go there if you want to see the pictures, although there isn't much to see right now, just messy glued up rings and the driver to give it some scale. Same boring post so no need to read it at the other forums.

I started last week on the first egg of two for a MTM center channel using the Scan-Speak 8530-K01 Shielded version, and the Vifa XT25 Tweeter. I plan to make this as configurable as possible, and do some listening tests with a vertical vs horizontal array, I'm hoping I will be able to fine so toe-in toe-out angle with the mids to help the horizontal dispersion issues that area problem with MTM's on their side. If I can’t make it work right or find an acceptable compromise then I'll just use a vertical array, but only if I have to, it'll take up more room then I can really give up. Anyway, it'll look odd like the rest of my speakers and as usual It will probably take 4-6 months to complete. I plan on turning the glued rings on a lathe to achieve a somewhat egg shape, although the ends will be more blunt, so it will probably end up looking more like bongo drums then my mains. Oh the enclosures will be sealed, and of course the tweeter will be in a separate solid oak enclosure and be adjustable and moveable for the early tests, I may leave some adjustability in the final design, but first I must find out if it works best on top or inline with the mid/woofers.

I'll post the usual picture as I progress for those who may be interested.

My DIY webpage (Nothing New)
    http://www.geocities.com/kingdaddyke...s.html?1078331

Pics at HT Guide
    http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=8146

2. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Looks good Keith. I know first hand how time consuming these types of enclosures can be, and I have a CNC machine to cut them. Here are a few links to pics of the Center Point Eyes taht I'm working on:

http://www.stryke.com/temp/enclosure.jpg
    Render of the Cabinet shape

http://www.stryke.com/pics/spy/PICT0321.JPG
    Front view of cabinet without baffle

http://www.stryke.com/pics/spy/PICT0326.JPG
    Side view of cabinet

http://www.stryke.com/pics/spy/eye.gif
    Here is a quick front view drawing of what it would look like as a center channel in it's little "bowl" stand:

I just recently put the first layer of bondo on this first pair. They will eventually be finished in a silver metallic automotive finish with curly maple front baffles. Getting the piano gloss finish on the cabinet is going to take some serious time, but they will be worth it in the end.

John

3. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

Very nice work, it's good to see a fellow DIY'er with a taste for the unconventional. One of my preliminary designs was very close to what you have, but with 2 woofers on the oval and a tweeter on top in a separate enclosure. Do you plan to add a tweeter to your project? Mine’s going to look pretty trashy for a while, until I chuck it up on the lathe, then I hope the shape I have in mind will turn out.

4. John E Janowitz

Hi Mike,

This is for the Seas P17REcoax/TV shielded 6.5" driver. It has the 1" tweeter in the center where the dustcap would normally be. The center channel would lay down the wide way and the front two channels and surrounds would stand up.

My CNC lets me take any 3d model, slice into 3/4" thick sections and then it goes back and forth across the table all day cutting the pieces each to their 3d shapes. Then I glue it all back together.

The plan was to make these to sell as a high end speaker, but there is just too much work. I have found a place that can make the cabinets for next to nothing in 250pc quantity. As woofer manufacturing gets going and money comes in I will be looking that route.

John

5. John E Janowitz

Hi Mike,

This is for the Seas P17REcoax/TV shielded 6.5" driver. It has the 1" tweeter in the center where the dustcap would normally be. The center channel would lay down the wide way and the front two channels and surrounds would stand up.

My CNC lets me take any 3d model, slice into 3/4" thick sections and then it goes back and forth across the table all day cutting the pieces each to their 3d shapes. Then I glue it all back together.

The plan was to make these to sell as a high end speaker, but there is just too much work. I have found a place that can make the cabinets for next to nothing in 250pc quantity. As woofer manufacturing gets going and money comes in I will be looking that route.

John

6. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

7. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

8. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

John - I know this is real off-topic and I should have emailed you this directly, but I am going to look for a way to get that new logo turned into a vector (*.EPS) graphic so it can be printed by most major printing firms without the jagged pixel lines caused by the raster content of the original image. This requires me to find a copy of Adobe Illustrator, though. That is what may take a while.

Back on topic now - Will there be vertical "eyes"? There should be. Also, there should be a floorstanding tower speaker with a vertical eye at the top and a couple 8" woofers down below for bass enhancement.

Will your new woofers be featuring the same sort of aluminum cone that TC Sounds uses? (Except, I still say you should get woven carbon fiber cones for the sound-quality woofers. That would just look absolutely neat-o.

9. Rory Buszka

John - I know this is real off-topic and I should have emailed you this directly, but I am going to look for a way to get that new logo turned into a vector (*.EPS) graphic so it can be printed by most major printing firms without the jagged pixel lines caused by the raster content of the original image. This requires me to find a copy of Adobe Illustrator, though. That is what may take a while.

Back on topic now - Will there be vertical "eyes"? There should be. Also, there should be a floorstanding tower speaker with a vertical eye at the top and a couple 8" woofers down below for bass enhancement.

Will your new woofers be featuring the same sort of aluminum cone that TC Sounds uses? (Except, I still say you should get woven carbon fiber cones for the sound-quality woofers. That would just look absolutely neat-o.

10. John E Janowitz

Rory,

Don't worry. We already made it in illustrator so it's in vector form. Thanks.

The eyes will be just the satellite speakers, but they do play down to 50hz pretty well. Other things are in the works too including a really big eye shaped enclosure that houses 2 6.5" drivers with a Morel MDM55 and a DMS30 between them.

Woofers will be alum cone yet, but a nicer, brighter aluminum with the logo electroplated on in a bright silver. Looks very slick.

John

11. John E Janowitz

Rory,

Don't worry. We already made it in illustrator so it's in vector form. Thanks.

The eyes will be just the satellite speakers, but they do play down to 50hz pretty well. Other things are in the works too including a really big eye shaped enclosure that houses 2 6.5" drivers with a Morel MDM55 and a DMS30 between them.

Woofers will be alum cone yet, but a nicer, brighter aluminum with the logo electroplated on in a bright silver. Looks very slick.

John

12. Rory Buszka

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=202046

So I've noticed.

I still think there should be an "Eye" floorstander to go along with the "eye" satellites, with the "eye" oriented vertically instead of horizontally (getting that narrow-baffle imaging there, and though I know these are supposed to be like the Tannoy eye-shaped studio monitors I think that this is an allowable deviation, one I recommend for the left and right front channels as well, and possibly the rears.) If there's going to be the MTM eyes, there should also be an accompanying "eye" floorstander. (Perhaps they could be the "Vision" series?) I also took a look at your upcoming woofers line-up and in order to have another woofer in there with WCF cone, you would need to be making five lines of woofers. I understand now why it's somewhat not feasible. I'm just looking forward to when I can replace the dented AV12 with a new AE Speakers one.

13. Rory Buszka

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=202046

So I've noticed.

I still think there should be an "Eye" floorstander to go along with the "eye" satellites, with the "eye" oriented vertically instead of horizontally (getting that narrow-baffle imaging there, and though I know these are supposed to be like the Tannoy eye-shaped studio monitors I think that this is an allowable deviation, one I recommend for the left and right front channels as well, and possibly the rears.) If there's going to be the MTM eyes, there should also be an accompanying "eye" floorstander. (Perhaps they could be the "Vision" series?) I also took a look at your upcoming woofers line-up and in order to have another woofer in there with WCF cone, you would need to be making five lines of woofers. I understand now why it's somewhat not feasible. I'm just looking forward to when I can replace the dented AV12 with a new AE Speakers one.