Starting a collection of obsolete viewing material

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tyler T, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Tyler T

Tyler T Stunt Coordinator

OK, I am not sticking to VHS on this, but I want the original formats to watch home video. Here are the ones I am intrested in:
    CED
    MCA Discovision
    Laserdisc
    Any other obsolete format I should check out? Plus where do I get those players and discs?
    Thanks!

2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Betamax.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Do the lousy video-adventures on the Sega-CD videogame system count? I'm talking about the games like Night Trap starring Dana Plato (R.I.P.) and Double Switch with Blondie's Debbie Harry. Warner and Sega collaborated on a music disc for Sega-CD called "The Colors of Modern Rock" featuring this video technology. The most fun was with the shoot-em-up called "Sewer Shark", though. Anyone else remember these? [​IMG] (I own the last two!)

4. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

The Phillips I-TV is also an obsolete format that might be interesting.

5. Shad R

Shad R Supporting Actor

Add the 3D0, the videogame/cd player...or the Atari 16 bit Jaguar

6. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

MCA Discovision is a laserdisc.

7. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

There are the Video CDs released by Philips when Philips started marketing the CD-I digital video cartridge.

In fact, these Video CDs were the first ones ever in any market. The early ones had some bad video but the later ones(Ghost, Forrest Gump) had some good video quality. Dr. No even came with a very nice informative booklet.

Only problem was that Philips used pan & scan/open-matte transfers for these Video CDs.

8. David Lambert

rutger-s: Actually, I'm surprised I didn't bring up the CD-I units, and thought of the Sega-CD first! ESPECIALLY because of the film titles released for it!! There were quite a few, I'll point out.
    And, while we're at it, do we consider modern VCD's to be "obsolete" yet? [​IMG]
    Shad: I didn't mean to get into lists of videogame systems that, like the Sega-CD, used video technology for gameplay. BUT, if we're gonna go there, we might as well list all the multimedia game systems and their USA years of launch (I'm a museum of videogame systems, owning 30 myself!):
    * NEC TurboGrafx CD
    * Commodore CDTV (Amiga-based videogame console)
    * Phillips CD-i
    * Magnavox CD-i
    * Sega-CD
    * Tandy VIS (Radio Shack's entry into multimedia)
    * NEC Turbo Duo (integrated TurboGrafx & Turbo CD)
    * JVC X'Eye (integrated clone of Genesis & Sega-CD)
    * Panasonic 3D0 FZ-1 R.E.A.L.
    * Pioneer LaserActive
    * Sega CDX (Sega's integrated Genesis & Sega-CD)
    * Atari Jaguar CD
    * Goldstar 3D0
    * Sega 32X (upgrade able to integrate with Sega-CD)
    * Sega-CD II (exact same device in new design layout)
    * SNK Neo-Geo CD
    * Panasonic 3D0 FZ-10
    * Sega Saturn
    * Sony PlayStation
    * SNK Neo-Geo CDZ
    * Standard DVD Consoles hit the market
    * Sony PlayStation v2 (same design but w/dual-shock controls; NOT "PS2")
    * Sega DreamCast
    * Nuon-Enhanced DVD Consoles
    * Sony PlayStation 2 (“PS2”; built-in DVD playback)
    * Nintendo GameCube
    * Microsoft X-Box (add-in DVD playback)
    11 years of multimedia gaming in the home? Wow. And that was 7 years after Dragon's Lair hit the coin-ops!
    By-the-way, that list is not from a website somewhere; it is from my own personal notes and research. Cheers,

9. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Tyler

I have over 400 laserdiscs that I'm looking to kick out of my house. If you're interested, send me an e-mail.

10. Mike Friedrich

Mike Friedrich Stunt Coordinator

Tyler, there's a thread somewhere with someone wanting to off load some CED's , don't know where but you might want to do a CED in thread title search ?
    bodymov'n [​IMG]

11. Michael St. Clair

No format is obsolete if it has material that you cannot replace on newer formats.

12. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

3/4" Umatic. It never really made it as a consumer format but it thrived as a video production format for a while. I've only ever seen 1 prerecorded tape, so I don't know how much there would be to collect other than the equipment.

-Mike

13. Raymond Johnson

Raymond Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Are CED's basically movies on records?
    I see them on ebay all the time & do remmeber hearing something about it or another format on a radio show. The guest talked about various products that didn't exist very long(& has a book on it), including a RCA videodisc format trying to out do laserdisc. They where made out of the same stuff as records + looked like them as well.

14. Christian Dolan

Christian Dolan Stunt Coordinator

How about helical scan, half-inch, open-reel video tape? As I understand it, it's a forerunner to VHS, just without the cassette shell. I found a blank reel in the basment of a place where I used to work .

Also, at another job, I happened to find a CRV disc. This a is an anolog, component (YUV) optical "re-writeable" 12-inch video laserdisc housed in a plastic sleeve. It has a metal sheath that slides aside to reveal the inner disc. It looks just like 12-inch version of a computer floppy disc.

-Christian

15. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

There's also VHD (Video High Density), a third videodisc system that came out only in Japan- it was supposed to come out in the US but didn't since laserdisc and CED were already having less than stellar sales. It looks like a 10-inch version of CED (the disc is in a plastic caddy) but it supposedly worked much better.

Cartrivision came out in 1972; it was a home videotape format that supposedly only recorded and played every other field. I have a few prerecorded tapes including some rental-only tapes that are designed to not rewind in a consumer player; haven't had any luck finding a machine to play these on though.

There were a number of other videodisc systems developed in the 70's; one of the early ideas for laserdiscs was to have the laser focus on the second side without turning over, the way dual-layer DVDs work now.

16. David Lambert

Hey! Nobody has said DIVX yet! [​IMG]

17. Juan C Toro

Juan C Toro Stunt Coordinator

Obsolete viewing material... Do the slides of my family vacations count? [​IMG]
    JC

18. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Yes, I have 15 DIVX discs and a few brocures and ads saved in rememberance...

19. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit