Starter Home Theatre

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Bourden, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

Hello,
    I've been auditioning home theatre's for about a month now, and have switched brands and products about a dozen times, and have finally come to what I consider my final list, depending on what I found sounded the best for my needs.
    Amp: Kenwood 509
    Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 5's
    Rears: Paradigm Titan's (don't need huge power in the rear, will be for movies only, not music)
    Center: Paradigm CC-370
    Sub: Paradigm PS-1000
    After sitting down and listening to all of these, I fell in love. I had also tried some Northwood JBL's, Acoustic Research, and Cerwin Vega's, but lost interest very quickly after hearing the Para's (all fronts were in the $600 range, Canadian funds)
    The sub is still being questioned, I want to compare againts a Velodyne a couple more times just to be safe, though the Para is downfiring, and I was very impressed.
    The selection of amps such as Onkyo, Denon, etc is next to none locally, and I am not ordering anything without hearing it first, so I've settled on the Kenwood, which I find has very good sound and options for my price range.
    Now, the big question, does anybody see anything wrong with my setup? Any equipment I should have second thoughts about? Any experience's, good or bad, with this setup, or a similar one? And no, I'm not getting an SVS sub, if I can't audition it personally, I'm not gonna order it (people have been pushing it, but they don't realize my dealers are limited locally) =)
    Thanks for any and all help you can give.

2. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

Scott,
    That looks like one hell of a starter system! I think you will be very pleased. Especially with your Paradigm PS-1000 I have had mine for 3.5 years now and it rocks in my 19X11 foot room. It is not known for excellent music performance but it rocks on movies. How big is your room?
    BTW my PS-1000 is not downfiring?
    Kevin C. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    If you live in the Wichita KS area and are interested in a local meet click here

3. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit