What's new

Started This Page To Prepare For The Release Of The Classic Flash Gordon Serials On Blu Ray! (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Hi to all! Update! All parties are in position just waiting on the studio to give thumbs up! We are just waiting to see if the Studio will do the deal and open not only these three serials but to other properties, they had apologized three weeks ago that this is taking longer than usual - sadly to be expected as they have MUCH more titles they deem important - this will happen --- the minute we know we will shout it out MEANWHILE HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Hi to all! Update! All parties are in position just waiting on the studio to give thumbs up! We are just waiting to see if the Studio will do the deal and open not only these three serials but to other properties, they had apologized three weeks ago that this is taking longer than usual - sadly to be expected as they have MUCH more titles they deem important - this will happen --- the minute we know we will shout it out MEANWHILE HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
Thanks Rob, for the updates...Let us know as you can and Happy Turkey to you!!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Thanks Rob, for the updates...Let us know as you can and Happy Turkey to you!!!
Also, can you tell us of the other possible titles that may be available from this studio for upgrading, in addition to the Flash Gordon serials? Just wondering...? Feel free to tease us, LOL!!!!

rob007

Grip
Real Name
Robert
I would definitely purchase this guaranteed, unless it was some Mill Creek-y type of outfit where all 12-15 chapters are slammed on one disc and interlaced. Is there any more news on this? I know Flash is stuck in "rights hell", but it would sure be great to see it restored.
I also wish one of the soundtrack labels could do a Kickstarter to re-record the pieces of music tracked from other films, creating a soundtrack of sorts. I would totally be up for that if rights didn't present a problem there either.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I would definitely purchase this guaranteed, unless it was some Mill Creek-y type of outfit where all 12-15 chapters are slammed on one disc and interlaced. Is there any more news on this? I know Flash is stuck in "rights hell", but it would sure be great to see it restored.
I also wish one of the soundtrack labels could do a Kickstarter to re-record the pieces of music tracked from other films, creating a soundtrack of sorts. I would totally be up for that if rights didn't present a problem there either.
Not really in rights hell but a BIG studio (NOT Universal) has the rights to them (for legit releases) they have been great to work with BUT they drag their feet. Sadly only Universal/Kino and Warners and VCI and Classic Flix seem to get the value of CLASSICS not just the next Marvel title.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Not really in rights hell but a BIG studio (NOT Universal) has the rights to them (for legit releases) they have been great to work with BUT they drag their feet. Sadly only Universal/Kino and Warners and VCI and Classic Flix seem to get the value of CLASSICS not just the next Marvel title.
And now more than a few parties involved boy is FLASH getting interest!

rob007

Grip
Real Name
Robert
Is this still imminent? Or is it now stuck in a loop where different companies are fighting for distribution rights?
I wish all studios had programs like Warner Archive. MOD can really be fantastic if done correctly. Hell, I don't mind pressed vs burned discs. If a burned disc only lasts a few years, I can always potentially buy the disc again if it's still being offered. The main thing to me is just getting stuff out there. Classic titles and TV series now have such low profit margins that getting them out, even in a somewhat compromised condition, is about all that can reasonably be asked for. I don't need to harp on about packaging or extras or compression. Once it's out and the costs are covered, licencing to other companies to release their own "version" of a previous released product gets easier. That's where tweaks can be done, such as Koch media when they did Airwolf or whatever. Sure, the episodes are missing pointless teasers and whatnot. But is it less compressed? Yes. Are there subtitles? Yes. Totally worth it for me.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Is this still imminent? Or is it now stuck in a loop where different companies are fighting for distribution rights?
I wish all studios had programs like Warner Archive. MOD can really be fantastic if done correctly. Hell, I don't mind pressed vs burned discs. If a burned disc only lasts a few years, I can always potentially buy the disc again if it's still being offered. The main thing to me is just getting stuff out there. Classic titles and TV series now have such low profit margins that getting them out, even in a somewhat compromised condition, is about all that can reasonably be asked for. I don't need to harp on about packaging or extras or compression. Once it's out and the costs are covered, licencing to other companies to release their own "version" of a previous released product gets easier. That's where tweaks can be done, such as Koch media when they did Airwolf or whatever. Sure, the episodes are missing pointless teasers and whatnot. But is it less compressed? Yes. Are there subtitles? Yes. Totally worth it for me.
There seems to be too much second rate editions out there on these serials now. Companies like Alpha, Grapevine, Millcreek, Serial Squadron and others do as little as possible to be able to say that thier releases are "Remastered"editions.Or just dropping the DVD version onto a BRD and say it's remastered to add to their catalog is BS, and yet we see this all the time!!!
Lowering the bar of expectaion is tantamount to giving up. If all you expect is a seond rate product, the studios are more than willing to give you just what you're asking for.
Being able to work with as close to the original film elements as possible, and delivering the best quality available is the goal. If done right in the first place there's no need for "licencing to other companies to release their own "version" of a previous released product". Getting it right the first time is the point, never give up, never surrender!! Who ever gets the licencsing needs to see the big picture, and not just a run for the money!! Archival Editions are what made companies like Kino and Criterion the companies that they are today.

rob007

Grip
Real Name
Robert
Never give up, never surrender? No wonder Bill Hunt went off his nut recently. For one thing, why would the major studios start an archival line of their own for outside titles? Profit margins are too low unless they already have a decent home video division in place. Even then, it's not very profitable.
I prefer to see things get released rather than grunge and moan about them. While I would purchase Flash in a heartbeat, you have to give your head a shake if the studios want to spend a dime more than the 5,000 copies this may sell. Wishing, hoping, talking about 4K when it's clearly not a reality for older serials, and putting your head in the sand simply won't get titles released. The big picture? Nobody buys this shit anymore. Maybe streaming and licencing can help but for most of our most wanted titles and shows, I doubt the streaming numbers are there either.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
There seems to be too much second rate editions out there on these serials now. Companies like Alpha, Grapevine, Millcreek, Serial Squadron and others do as little as possible to be able to say that thier releases are "Remastered"editions.Or just dropping the DVD version onto a BRD and say it's remastered to add to their catalog is BS, and yet we see this all the time!!!
Lowering the bar of expectaion is tantamount to giving up. If all you expect is a seond rate product, the studios are more than willing to give you just what you're asking for.
Being able to work with as close to the original film elements as possible, and delivering the best quality available is the goal. If done right in the first place there's no need for "licencing to other companies to release their own "version" of a previous released product". Getting it right the first time is the point, never give up, never surrender!! Who ever gets the licencsing needs to see the big picture, and not just a run for the money!! Archival Editions are what made companies like Kino and Criterion the companies that they are today.
LOL!!! Galexy Quest - never give up, never surrender!!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
KF still owns them the studio is basically doing the deals for KF
Update to all! Okay the studio now has two players in the home video biz interested, both video firms can benefit and walk away with a new partner to bring great classics to the market. Both video firms are interested in the type of product they have released for years and that this would offer them. I really hope both video firms can get deals as they both are GREAT firms and will do the titles they get RIGHT! It is the studio holding everything up. So hopefully we will know soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks