What's new

Started HT, plz review my plans? (1 Viewer)

ChrisKen

Auditioning
First, great forum. Thank you!

Scenario:
Basement room 13.5' long by 10.5' wide (I guess thats smallish?) Ceiling only 6.6' high! Particle/MDF ceiling.
Concrete walls on 2 sides, wood fiber board partition walls on 2 sides. 2 wood doors.
I already "started" by gutting all peg boards, lighting fixtures (except 1 bulb for working!) . I have to move a fridge and old Armoir out of the room (need to move outlet to other side of wall for fridge, I think I need the space with this room).
Room will be dedicated HT, mostly movies, but I can envisage this becoming main TV room (hopefully).
I've been reading this forums, especially the "I wish I did" threads, fantastic. I also took before pictures (well after I started the demo).
Room has one small window, easily becomes pitch black if needed, but I'd like a little light for drinks/food etc.
2 Heavy Duty outlets in 1 partition wall already. 2 sets of new wire already poking out of ceiling, capped off.

OK, my plans, Infocus 4805 (although I read somewhere some people see rainbows? that worries me). Ceiling mounted.

85" home built screen, do I need Screen Goo or can I use something cheaper on some MDF board?

Last row of seating (I'll start with old futon for now) 11.5' back (maybe 12', depends on speakers etc), on riser platform, I'm willing to go 6" up, small ceiling as it is.
Front row, probably splurge for recliner chairs, maybe just 2, they will be 9' back.

I found an on-line calculator that says that seating configuration is god for SMPTE (last row) and THX (front row) viewing angles(roughly). Is that correct? Too close/far away?

Is that projector good for this ? Or should I get the 5000?

My budget is very limited, but I can pant all the walls flat black and the ceiling flat black, get the projector and build my own screen/platform. I already have an older 5.1 surrond system I can re-use for this for now (not the best but better than lame).

Anyone give suggestions?

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
This seems like a really small room for a projector and 2 rows of seating. with 6'6" ceilings already, I'd not do a riser at all, that'd be really tight for anyone of average height. Getting within 4-5 inches of light bulbs even those that are recessed can get really hot. But, to each his own. I was convinced I knew what I wanted and did it despite others advising me not to. End product works for my purposes and looks great.
I'd look at doing a smaller screen, that might be a bit big for how close you have to be. My screen is about 88" diagonal and at 8 feet front row, on static, bright images I see a slight screen door effect, any closer and you can really see it.
If you are looking for a DIY screen, I've got some screen paint left over I'm trying to sell on the cheap. Not looking for much, contact me if you are interested.
Take some pics, post em in your gallery and you will get some better suggestions.

ChrisKen

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice!

I'll try to add a link to my gallery via my profile.

Obviously the walls need some TLC and paint, and the fridge and armoir are going bye-bye.

I'd only add recessed light near the doorway and maybe equipment rack. I'm an X10 buff so I'd automate all the lighting/dimming as well. I guess the fan noise of a projector over your head a few feet away would be bad eh? I assumed sitting on a coach, 6" off the ground would leave you with 3+ feet above if your 6' tall, not sure what effect that would have. I'm 5'10" and most friends/family are shorter by a decent amount save a few.

As for the screen paint, if you still have it in a month, I'll PM you, as you can see I have a lot of painting/cleaning to do first :) Must one use Screen Goo or can you use something else (like a whiteish/light grey mix 100$ arcrylic high gloss?)

Any suggestions on the 4805 vs 5000 (I read the other thread on this, but for building a room around it, any thoughts?)

Any other hints/tips?

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Chris Welcome to HTF.....I am also in the planning stages of a dedicated basement home theater haven't started the fun demolition part yet:frowning: but I'm in the planning stages drawing things out and such.;)

Here is a link for you to check out regarding the screen and there is a DIY section near the top of the screen be sure to check that out.

Here is another place to lookfor info on projectors and viewing distance and there is even a throw calculator to assist you in finding an appropriate screen size for your room.

As for the fan noise it is a concern for me too, however in searching the forums it seems that some are more "in tune" to it and others not so. And it appears that some projectors are louder than others.

As you do your searching here and other places that 4805 is very well liked.

For my application I'm looking at the Panasonic AE-900 or the Epson 550 still haven't decided on that one.

Good luck and happy HT'ing!!

FWIW I would stay away from flat paint especially if you have children it is a %$&#@!$# to clean and maintain. You could go with an "eggshell" or satin finish and would be ok IMO.

MY .02

ChrisKen

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice! I went ahead and bought black satin paint instead, wise adivce there. Tihs room is so dark anyway I don't think the flat vs satin will make much of a difference.

I also have some concrete walls to "touch up" from slight water damage. I bought some UGL patch for that.

Also thanks for the links, it seems the "size of screen issue" is hotly debated here and in that forum as well. I guess the calculators are all slightly outdated or debated as well. My new plan is to start with 85" Diag hardboard with a few coats of primer and "test it out" to see how big it should be. I can always trim back to 80" with my circular saw, or 70-75" for that matter.

I've added pictures to My Gallery but can't post links until I have 15 posts here.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

Glad the advice helped. I was trying to decide on a RPTV or a FP for my basement HT. One weekend I "borrowed" a Old Viewsonic projector from work to see what my options were and I was really impressed with the FP. If you are in a position to "borrow" a FP yourself some homework into what you find tolerable might help you out. I was working with a screen from 61 to 88 inches and in rooms that were 12x12 and 13.5x20. I sat as close to the screen as 5 feet and I could see the SDE (screen door effect) but it did not bother me. More than 8 feet away it really was a non-issue. If I looked for it I could make it out but for overall viewing it worked just fine.

Now mind you that this projector was about 4-5 years old and is used primarily for Power Point presentations so it's not ideal for true HT set up. However it was good enough to make me switch to the FP side of the HT spectrum. Nothing like setting up and watching Spider Man 2 on a 88 inch screen.:D

Too cool.....but I would really try to find, beg, borrow, but NOT steal and try out a projector in your room to see what you got and what works for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks