What's new

Starsky and Hutch, surely time for DVD release? :) (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't know if it has been confirmed, but I believe David said that Dukes will be out this year, but that it probably won't be good news for OAR fans. I think he said it may be tilt-and-scanned like the new Kung Fu season box. Hope I'm wrong, but. . . .

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Right info, Greg, but I think it was Gord who said "bad news for OAR fans". Or maybe someone else...I forget. But I recall trusting the source, much to my dismay.

Had fun watching Smallville the other day and noting the beginning of the episode "Nicodemus" had Pa Kent driving along and listening to the radio. What was playing? "Good Ol' Boys"! :D

MattHR

Screenwriter
I just received the set. The discs are indeed "wheels" from the Torino. The inner gatefold has a nice graphic of the Torino when fully unfolded, with easy-release disc hubs. There's also an insert with brief episode details.

The various documentaries are nicely produced and feature new interviews with the main stars and various writers and producers. Paul Michael Glaser has aged pretty well. Time seems to have stood still for Antonio Fargas. As for David Soul, well, I almost didn't recognize him.

There's a nice behind-the-scenes look, with interviews, at the upcoming big-screen remake. Glaser and Soul are shown on the set with Stiller and Wilson (in matching 70's attire).

The package indicates original promo spots. They are actually the original previews for "next week's episode" that would have aired after each episode. They are run in sequence from the menu, and (strangely) include a network I.D. tag with episode # that precedes each preview. It would have made more sense to include these where they belong: between the end of each show and it's closing credits. But since most of the previews are in pretty rough shape, it was probably best to isolate them.

The transfers of the episodes themselves, however, are not in much better shape. They vary from episode to episode, and also within each episode. The film grain, combined with Columbia's increasingly annoying trend of over-filling their TV discs, causes noticeable compression problems here-and-there. If you've seen the CHARLIE'S ANGELS set, this one's similar, but not quite as clean. The style of the show is a little "grittier", which sort of "excuses" the mediocre transfers in a way.

I just wish Columbia would take better care of their older TV product. Would another disc, and another $10 added to the retail price, really hurt sales? This trend of $50 for a full season of hour-long episodes is a great thing, cost wise. However, I would rather spend a bit more for better quality presentions. But if it's this or nothing, I guess I'll have to accept it.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Perhaps the most famous TV series ever? Umm, I don't think so.

Still a welcome release on DVD though. I enjoyed the episode on the 70's Cop Show sampler.

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
You don't think so eh? Shows what you know! :D Starsky and Hutch is know all over the world. Please feel free to name five shows that are more iconic throughout the land? Its the only way I'll learn.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Baywatch, Simpsons, Friends, Cheers, Happy Days, Seinfeld, Miami Vice, South Park...

sorry Craig :P

Gord

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
I'll give you those choices. Not sure about Baywatch though Gord. I haven't seen as much evidence to suggest those shows are more well know and important to pop culture than Starsky and Hutch. Club remixes of the theme tune, a bar in Glasgow called "Huggy Bears" an award winning 70's night called "Starsky and Hutch" which takes place in clubs in London and Ibiza. David Soul, Paul Michael Glaser and Mr Fargas still seen on many shows talking about the popularity of the show. A big selling model version of the car, T-shirts being sold in trendy high street clothes stores. The well known fashion. The current big screen version etc. Anyone agree? :D

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have S1-S4 of Starsky and Hutch. I watched the show from time to time. I watch a couple episodes friday that had Roger E Mosley starring as the black baron. The episode was very well done!

This was a very good show and another police drama that i am glad i have in my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks