Starship Troopers- sound defects

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mark McConnell, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Mark McConnell

Mark McConnell Auditioning

I just bought the Starship Troopers SuperBit DVD and I noticed some crackling noises during the big action scenes(usually during an explosion or other deep bass moment on the soundtrack). The crackling noises aren't obnoxiously apparent, but they are noticeable. At first I thought it was my surround system, but then I tried the DVD on my other TV(which is not connected to any surround system)and heard the same crackling sounds at the same spots in the movie. I also tried the DVD using headphones connected to my receiver and got the same results with both the Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks. I swear these are sound defects from the original soundtrack source. I just wanted to know if anyone else has noticed this or if I'm just crazy.

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Yes, I notice this distortion as well, and the original non-Superbit DVD had the same problem. The Fifth Element also has particularly bad clipping. It's really quite a common source flaw, but isn't usually bad enough for people to notice unless they're listening for it.

Adam