Starship Troopers SE DVD video quality?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ShaunG, Mar 15, 2003.

1. ShaunG

ShaunG Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

I recently purchased the Starship Troopers Special Edition DVD to replace my original copy, however after viewing the SE version I wonder if the video quality is even equal to, let alone better, then the original.

In the SE there are a few scenes which stand out because they do not look right. The best example is the (as dubbed in the chapter selection) 'Rescue Party' chapter. During this scene the soldiers are fighting their way out of the bug hole, the picture looks like every other line is missing. This is made very obvious by looking at the rifle fire. Looking at the flash from the barrels reveals this effect.

Just to make sure it wasn't my eyes I watched my original copy the following day and compared the two at this chapter and the original does not have this effect the picture is solid and smooth it seems that the picture on the SE becomes slightly blurry when the camera is panning.

My question is, I had read all the reviews on this SE DVD and they said this new release was at lease equal to the original video quality, however this is not my experience. I am viewing these films on my computer with software decoding and was wondering if since the SE DVD is enhanced for widescreen tv's if for some reason this has anything to do with, what appears to be an interlaced presentation of the film, and the fact that I'm watching it on my computer monitor?

Thanks

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I'm moving this to the Software forum, which is where DVD quesitons should be posted.

M.

3. ShaunG

ShaunG Stunt Coordinator

:b My mistake, Thank you

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The original is anamorphic as well

5. ShaunG

ShaunG Stunt Coordinator

Yes this why I am confused as to why the picture quality is different. I thought the original anamorphic transfer was very well done. The SE DVD looks the same (maybe better) at times, but during others its not solid looking. Like a mentioned earlier the picture looks like its only showing every other line.

Has anyone else noticed this between the two copies? At this time I am unable to test them on a different setup.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

check to make sure it's not on "forced weave"

7. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i recently purchased the SE....i think it's a bit sharper and more detailed than the original, but i would love to see some screen captures comparing the two if anyone has that capability.

shaun - can you give us a timecode for the problem you're seeing? i can check it later tonight....

8. ShaunG

ShaunG Stunt Coordinator

Yes, Force Weave was on, I changed the setting to 'smart detect' and will check it out again later today. Sean Patrick I will let you know the time when I take a look at it.

9. KevinA

KevinA Agent

I had same problem in the same place with my tosh 3750.

10. ShaunG

ShaunG Stunt Coordinator

Well, I went back and looked at the scene I mentioned previously after changing the setting and sure enough that corrected the problem the picture was solid and I did not notice any blurring during camera panning. I'll have to sit down and watch the SE DVD again so I can fully enjoy the movie without being distracted by this issue.

Thanks for everyones help, by the way the time of the scene I was using to compare the two pictures was at 1hr 53min into the movie.

11. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Second Unit

Jose M Mendez

12. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i went back and forth comparing both versions and the difference i see is comparable to the difference i see in some superbits, where the first issue of the film was already quite good to begin with.
    yes, the image was a *little* more detailed, resolved, but its not an earth-shaking, or even immediately apparent improvement.

i have more respect for the ST SE than i do for the SBs though, because not only is the video slightly improved, but in this case, the rest of the package is an improvement.
    in this case, i didn't mind the upgrade, and didn't feel quite so gyped the way i do after having purchased some of the SBs i have.

i believe Bjoern Roy had some screen caps on his website- which i don't have the url of at the moment.
    you could see a little more detail evident in those.

13. ShaunG

ShaunG Stunt Coordinator

Sean Patrick I cant capture any freeze frames however if you search for 'Starship troopers Special Edition Review' you will get many hits and when I was researching it there were a couple of sites that had screen captures and you could see the different I'm not sure if the difference is as noticable when in motion compared to a freeze frame.

Jose Maria Mendez I'm not sure exactly what Force Weave is however I believe that it has something to do with the decoding and display of the DVD. I guess if a DVD is setup for Force Weave then it is to be played using Force Weave and the same for non Force Weave (I think its called Force Bob, or something like that).

Maybe someone else can be more detailed or correct me if I don't have a clue.

With my computer software decoder this option has an auto detect so I don't have to worry about it (I'm surprised I didn't catch it earlier [​IMG] )

14. Christian P

Christian P Stunt Coordinator

Hi!

15. WilliamJulien

It sounds like some fields are flagged wrong. This is a problem Sony seems to have too often even on some SuperBit titles like The Patriot. Using forced weave will not help since it uses the flags to reassemble the frames.

16. Glenn_Jn

Glenn_Jn Stunt Coordinator

17. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer