Starship Troopers reg. 2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sune Svanekier, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Sune Svanekier

Sune Svanekier Auditioning

Buying DVDs in Europe you have to consider not only the differences between regions 1, 2, 3 etc. but also the differences within the same region - code 2 in this example.

DVDs manufactured in the UK tend to be cut, i.e. material that has been censored (mostly due to graphic violence) from the theatrical releases will also be excised from the DVDs. Other parts of Europe, Denmark, where I live, for instance, don't censor films like the UK does, and the DVDs produced in Denmark won't be cut, so one has to be careful when one is scouting for DVDs.

I bought Starship Troopers, happy that there was finally a region 2 version with the same extras as the old laserdisc and with Danish subtitles. Later I discovered that this was a UK DVD, and I noticed that the running time was shorter on this than on the code 1-disc and (as far as I remember) on Danish code 2-discs.

This might mean that the copy I have has been censored, and it is very annoying. I don't know the film that well and am not able to tell if it has been cut.

Does anybody know this? And does anybody know about any other discs with the same problem? (I know of the Lethal Weapons-series).

Yours' sincerely,

Sune Svanekier

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The UK censors a ton of ludicrous things. Headbutts (WHY?) until recently nunchucks, hot wiring cars, just little stupid things that only piss people off. Usually it's just a second or 2 of violence, which ST has in spades

3. Didier

Didier Agent

In the early days of DVD, a few French DVD releases were cut the same as the U-K releases. This was heavily criticized here, and now nearly all French DVD releases are totally uncunt.

Didier.

4. Thomas Agermose

Thomas Agermose Stunt Coordinator

Thomas Agermose Jensen
    Hi Sune. Nice to see a fellow dane in here.
    If you go to www.bbfc.co.uk and search for Starship Troopers
    you will notice that it was not cut by the BBFC.
    At least some of the discrepancy on the running time can
    be explained by what is known as PAL speedup.
    This means that all movies in PAL format will run 4% faster than their theatrical (and NTSC) counterparts.
    Try and multiply the running time of your old LD by 0.96, and see if you get about the same time as the DVD.
    One more thing. Some studios actually release more than one version of the DVD, for different parts of Europe.
    If you look on the disc sometimes it will say D1, D2, D3 or D4. D1 is UK discs, D4 is Europe incl. UK discs. D2 and D3 are european discs.

5. Bob Partovi

Bob Partovi Stunt Coordinator

i'm so sick of censoring. here in the us movies don't get censored by the government, only by the movie studios so they can fit a demograhic(pearl harbor for teens was cut from R). I don't get why the UK is so strict with censorship and a country like japan isn't

6. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

7. Mike H

Mike H Stunt Coordinator

Then how was Requiem for a Dream released? It is unrated.

Mike

8. Greg_D_R

Greg_D_R Stunt Coordinator

9. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer