What's new

Starship Troopers 2 - Straight to DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Digital bits reports that Starship Troopers 2 is being released on DVD on June 1st. I haven't heard a single thing about this movie. I loved the first one, does anybody know anything about this movie, other than it's a direct to home release (which usually means suckage)?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
There's a fansite at http://www.starshiptroopers2.net where you can find information, pictures and a teasrer trailer. At least Ed Neumeier and Phil Tippet are involved as writer and director respectively, but I'd be surprised if this is any good. But let's hope! :)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Hi Gang,
I was acting with Casper Van Dien back in August and this topic came up. He was obviously disappointed that this movie was going to be a low budget affair and that he was not even asked to be in it. I would not expect much of this movie, but one can always hope!

(On a similar note, Casper said that he also was never contacted to voice the animated "Roughnecks" series. When he finally talked to the producers of that series, they said that they just assumed they could not afford him. Too bad they never asked!)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Too bad indeed. But it is nice to see he cares about the franchise.

ps-- Judd Nelson, John Rhys-Davies, Allison Eastwood, and now Casper van Dien?? Have I mentioned lately how much I envy you? :D btw, what project did you work with Van Dien on?

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Sony always intened for ST2 to be a direct to DVD in the US if someone could do it for a much lower budget. The good news is we have the screenwriter from the first one behind the screenplay of ST2 and Phil Tippett as the director.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator
Its out on Region 2 DVD on 19th April....had it pre-ordered for about a month now.

Looks like a half decent disc, director, writer and producer commentary and a couple of featurettes.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I have no idea. I know that I have worked with other big name actors who had small roles in movies that got about $30,000.00 per day. It really depends upon the budget of the movie and how busy the actor is and how hot an item they happen to be.

Me...I am about $2.50 a day. :D

(Just let me at the free food!)

Erik*R

Agent
Scott is that Canadian or US dollars? :D

because at a $1.86 US (converted from $2.50 canadian) I can think of plenty of movies here in FL that would hire you. :) heh

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
It is ashame they couldnt do a big budget follow up. I thought it had a big enough following to warrant a theatrical release.

I wouldnt have minded another shower scene with Casper either.
He was big there for a while. I wish he would do more.

Was Casper cool?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
A good old friend of mine named Eric Leven got a promotion working on Starship Troopers 2. Previously one of Tippett's more talented worker-bees, Eric was in charge of ALL the CGI work in the sequel!

He still hasn't seen the movie as a whole, but I know he's very proud of his effects work here. I did a little interview piece with him a while ago, which you can read here.

So I'm psyched for the movie because A) I loved the first one, and B) I get to see my pal's handiwork!

As far as the DTV label is concerned, I know for a fact that this sequel was always intended for the video market; it's not a movie that was made for multiplexes and then remanded to the video shelves because it sucks.

Once again I break out my 'cautiously optimistic' perspective... ;)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

Big in the shower scene? :laugh:

I know what you meant to say, but those two statements together... :laugh:

I'm looking forward to this one. If it was intended for the video market all along, then it might end up being good.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Just for a side note, I had also worked on that Hollywood Flies movie and I personally would say it had some good b rated talent but it's budget was not that big. I think it was 7 million. I believe I meet you once or twice at parties Scott but as always, I was a drunken mess, sorry. On the may note though, Starship didn't do to well till Video release correct? Personaly I'm not surprised by the straight to video release but I thought some of the main talent might have come back.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks