What's new

Starrcade on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Steve_Z

Stunt Coordinator
If the Wrestlemania Legacy DVDs sells well, I hope the WWE follows that up by releasing every Starrcade on DVD.

If Vince McMahan's ego would allow it to happen, and that is a big if, these would be the issues that would have to be cleared.

1) Music rights, especially in the early Starrcade. Which used popular songs as theme music. They used the "Stayin Alive" as the theme musie for the early Starrcades. And the WWE doesn't have the rights to all of the original NWA / WCW music. For example, in the Ric Flair DVD, they took out Sting's music (the wrestler, not the singer) for his Clash of Champions XXVII interview.

2) Jessie Ventura and Gary Cappeta royalties. From what, not would they have to clear the rights to use Ventura's commentaries, but they have similar issues for ring announcer Gary Cappeta.

3) Will they use the closed circuit and Pay Per View versions. I hope they do for all of the Starrcades, but I think the closed circuit version of Starrcade 85 is lost forever. And on Starrcade 86, they should use the closed circuit version, and have the Road Warriors / Midnight Express Skywalkers promo that was used excusively on the home video release as a bonus.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

That's actually what the thread was going to be talking about. :b Good thing to know, if I ever want to watch those again.

Jason

Greg S

Supporting Actor
I for one would love to see the NWA/WCW PPVs and Clash of the Champions events getting released on DVD. It won't happen though.

If Vince was smart he would have begun releasing the ECW PPVs (and former VHS tape stuff) right after the tremendous success of the RVD DVD, the Rise & Fall of ECW DVD, and the ECW One Night Stand DVD and just kept on rolling in the dough but alas it would make is currently being released DVDs look bad if he did but hell I would buy everyone of the DVDs!

I just think you will continue to see Vince use footage from those events and thats it. Sad.

Greg

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Greg. I think you'll see Rumbles, Summerslams, and Survivor Series come out but probably nothing that Vince didn't create. Its content for WWE 24/7 and for best of DVDs and nothing more.

Sad as I'd love the Clash of Champions on DVD. I would buy NWA/WCW releases but that's about it as I stopped buying DVDs from the WWE.

Its TNA for sure, and possibly RoH for me for the time being.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
I'm all for COMPLETE Starrcade releases, and would love also to see complete Crockett Cup shows from 86 to 88 come out as well...

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Presumably you mean the one from the Dragons Lair boxed set. The Starcade webpage has one (and presumably only) disc with 5 episodes. Kinda steep at 20 bucks.

Pity - a boxed set of dozens of episodes reasonably priced (say 30 bones) and I'd probably pick it up. As it is, I've got friends recording it for me off of G4 (or whatever the hell theyre call it these days)

Sorry - back to your talk about sweaty men grabbing each other.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Well, there is a chance for Starrcade on DVD. WWE has been talking about dipping into their WCW library for some WCW DVD sets. Also, I believe that they have cut a deal with Jimmy Hart (who made most of the themes from WCW) to license a lot of WCW theme music.

Steve_Z

Stunt Coordinator
It is good that the WWE cut a deal with Jimmy Hart for WCW music. However Hart did not work for WCW till 1994. So they would still need to work deal with other people for the 80's and early 90's theme music.

Off topic but I am surprised the WWE brought back the number 2 NWA/WCW PPV The Great American Bash, yet they did not bring back the number 1 NWA/WCW PPV Starrcade. If they ever did bring it back, it has to be Raw PPV, or whatever brand Ric Flair is on. If Flair works for your company, he has to be a part of Starrcade, because he is Mr. Starrcade. Which is why Starrcade 1994 was a joke.

Let me say is again, the music from the early Starrcades are not original music, but pop songs. The original theme music for Starrcade is not original. The original theme music was the theme music for the movie "Stayin Alive."

ThomasMon

Stunt Coordinator
As on many WWE DVD's where they don't have rights, I think they would just eliminate the music instead of paying for the rights.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Yup, and replace it with generic knockoff music.
They do this with a lot of music actually even when Undertaker used songs like "American Bad Ass" and "Rollin" after awhile they started replacing those on the DVD sets. Of course, with the WWE being as horrible as it is now, they actually make me not want to watch things remotely connected to them and so I run into the problem of wanting old WCW shows but not wanting to give WWE money.

You know, I thought about this recently. I bet you don't see any NWA shows released by WWE as long as TNA is remotely connected to the NWA. If they did, I'm sure they'd edit out anytime someone says NWA. They have edited out negative WWE comments from prior WCW matches that have made it to DVD, and there's nothing wrong with that, its their right.
Would it be necessary to edit out NWA just to prevent promoting TNA, no, but Vince is nothing if he's not paranoid.

Steve_Z

Stunt Coordinator
The irony is the WWE would have to edit out negative WWF comments on NWA / WCW shows for legal reasons anyway. There are NWA / WCW PPV's and Clash of Champions when they show fans with anti WWF signs. Well they will have to edit out all references of the initials WWF.

Vince can just say "Don't blame me. Blame the World Wildlife Fund."

As far as edited out NWA references. TNA does not mention the NWA that much if ever anyway. Their World champion is recongnise by the NWA as their World champion also, but that is it. On TV, the NWA Champions is referred to as the World champion. TNA is fazing the NWA out like WCW did in 1990 / 91, and in the fall of 1993. But you never know, Ice Cube and his boys might sue, eventhough the NWA as been around forever long before the rap group excisted.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

He'd be lying since it wasn't the wildlife fund that broke the terms of the contract.

As for NWA references, they absolutely still reference it all of the time. Especially on last week's Impact when they kept referring to the tag titles as the NWA tag team titles.

I didn't say that it would be necessary for Vince to edit it out, only that he would out of spite, and I still wouldn't put it passed him. After Raw on Monday I wouldn't put anything passed him.

I like how on the Warrior DVD they left in WW & bleeped out the F. They don't have to edit the old logo just the scratch logo & they can still leave it in if someone says world wrestling federation.

Real Name
Matthew Burdette
1984-1997 WWF logo is ok but either the WWF sratch logo or WWF in plain lettering is not. The ANTI WWF signs were used in the early 90s as WWF and WCW were at war long before the Monday Night Wars, I would only want the 1990 and 1997 editions of WCW Starrcade on DVD!

Nick=Ma

Stunt Coordinator
I heard rumors that the WWE is working on Royal Rumble and Summerslam box sets. Don't know if that is true or not.

Duane Alford

Second Unit
Those of you Starrcade fans might want to check this out. My friend Dave Millican made the current NWA World Belt that TNA uses, and now has the original US Heavyweight Belt that changed hands in the infamous I Quit match at Starrcade 85. This is the original belt held by:
Greg Valentine
Roddy Piper
Dick Slater
Rick Steamboat
Wahoo McDaniel
Magnum TA
Tully Blanchard

Pics can be found here:
http://www.davemillicanbelts.com/10PoundsSilver.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks