Stargirl (DC Universe/The CW)

JamesSmith

Screenwriter
Still trying to imagine Mary, the girl with a 1000 tricks marrying Brainwave. Did she know he was such a villain? Had he promised to reform? Sad, that Starman's sister had such a tragic end.

Wouldn't it be kick if Courtney really isn't Starman's daughter? That she's some girl the Staff picked for her noble heart, or something like that?
--james

Reactions: jayembee

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Wouldn't it be kick if Courtney really isn't Starman's daughter? That she's some girl the Staff picked for her noble heart, or something like that?
--james
Well, next time we'll have to see who answers the email and whether he really is her father.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Lost power on Tuesday, so saw Part 1 of the finale tonight on the CW App. What a cliffhanger!

I thought the interaction between Principal Bowen and Tigress was hilarious. She sure doesn't know how to really deal with people.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Finally caught up before next week's finale. I've really enjoyed this season. My only concern is that with this show going to CW only next season, they won't have the budget they've had this season.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Finally caught up before next week's finale. I've really enjoyed this season. My only concern is that with this show going to CW only next season, they won't have the budget they've had this season.
I don't understand why they would have had a bigger budget on a failing streaming service than on the CW?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Really good season finale.

I guess the staff must provide some heat for Courtney or else she would be freezing when flying around.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The season finale was the first time the limitations of the show's visual effects budget were really apparent. But given the ambition of what the show went for, I can forgive it.

Some really great character work. They did a good job of wrapping up the season-long conflict while planting the seeds for the second season's villains.

I don't understand why they would have had a bigger budget on a failing streaming service than on the CW?
You have to remember that the first season was greenlit before DC Universe launched, and before it was deemed by WarnerMedia as a failure. For their first round of pickups, they wanted a bunch of flashy titles with showy production values.

The CW, by contrast, does not have premium subscription costs driving revenues. The shows frequently have first run viewership in the hundreds of thousands rather than millions. And as The CW has gotten more ambitious with a higher quantity of programming, the budget per series has declined.

The budget and production values on "Supergirl" really plummeted when it made the jump from CBS to The CW. One of the advantages "Stargirl" has is that it films in Atlanta, and Atlanta is already a major production hub for The CW. They have all of the sets and costumes that DC Universe paid for to make the first season. The show is heavily rooted in small town Americana, so it doesn't have the expense of trying to create massive fictional metropolises like the Arrowverse shows do.

Reactions: NeilO

jayembee

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry
I'll be curious as to whether The Shade will be a supervillain as he was originally, or the somewhat reformed character that James Robinson wrote in the 90s Starman comic.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I'll be curious as to whether The Shade will be a supervillain as he was originally, or the somewhat reformed character that James Robinson wrote in the 90s Starman comic.
From what they implied in this series, it sounded like he turned on the ISA at some point. That would indicate somewhat reformed.

Reactions: jayembee

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Stargirl panel has been announced for August 22 at the virtual DC FanDome.

DC’s Stargirl
6:45PM (Encore at 6AM)
WatchVerse – Athena
DC’s Stargirl creator/executive producer Geoff Johns joins cast members Brec Bassinger, Amy Smart, Yvette Monreal, Anjelika Washington and Cameron Gellman for a panel full of fun and inside scoop. Join the new Justice Society of America as they dive into that epic showdown and learn a little more about each other through some special lenses. (35 min)

Last edited:

GlennC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn
Having given up with Batwoman, Supergirl and almost The Flash and Legends; I really enjoyed the whole season of Stargirl. I just hope that when season 2 is on the CW we don’t get the usual endless relationship stuff and talking in corridors.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Stargirl panel has been announced for August 22 at the virtual DC FanDome.

DC’s Stargirl
6:45PM (Encore at 6AM)
WatchVerse – Athena
DC’s Stargirl creator/executive producer Geoff Johns joins cast members Brec Bassinger, Amy Smart, Yvette Monreal, Anjelika Washington and Cameron Gellman for a panel full of fun and inside scoop. Join the new Justice Society of America as they dive into that epic showdown and learn a little more about each other through some special lenses. (35 min)
It looks like the WatchVerse will be back on September 12 to watch for 24 hours from 1 PM ET on.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeLo