What's new

Stargirl (DC Universe/The CW) (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I have to say, though, that the episode did make me wonder something...

There doesn't seem to be any suggestion that there were any superheroes other than the ones in the JSA. Or, at least, the JSA were the best of the best. And there hasn't been any suggestion that crime has run rampant in the time since the JSA was killed off. So, once the Injustice Society killed off the JSA, what stopped them from going on a major, indefinite crime spree?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I have to say, though, that the episode did make me wonder something...

There doesn't seem to be any suggestion that there were any superheroes other than the ones in the JSA. Or, at least, the JSA were the best of the best. And there hasn't been any suggestion that crime has run rampant in the time since the JSA was killed off. So, once the Injustice Society killed off the JSA, what stopped them from going on a major, indefinite crime spree?

I am guessing that doing so didn't fit with Icicle's long term plans.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Interesting.
Hourman and Dr. Midnight were introduced together just like they were in the comics, INFINITY INC. #21.
I wish Beth was wearing her comic book uniform on the show instead of Charles McNider old costume.

InfinityInc21.jpg

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Interesting episode last night as we meet more members of the ISA. Just under halfway done with the season 6/13).

One thing about the episode,
I was surprised that Chuck didn't tell Beth some way to try to stop what the Gambler was doing. I guess things were just a bit busy, though.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Agree with you about your spoiler.

It also occurred to me to wonder if the Dr. Mid-Nite costume auto-adjusted its size like Wildcat's, or McNider was as short as Beth is.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Finally got a chance to watch Tuesday's episode.

The thing I liked the most about it was that these were four kids playing dress up and, faced with a real threat, did about as well as could be expected from four kids playing dress up. Courtney, the only one with experience fighting supervillains, did the best of the four of them. But they were all in over their heads. By contrast, Sportsmaster and Tigress had been training for decades and had years of experience fighting the original JSA besides. They dominated the fight, and it wouldn't have been believable if they hadn't.

With regard to Neil's spoiler, I think it's just a matter of Beth not thinking to ask Chuck. Despite the new JSA coming away from the fight relatively unscathed, the mission was a success for the Injustice Society and a failure for the JSA. The use of Sportsmaster and Tigress as a distraction was effective.

I wonder if Artemis Crock will be a superhero or a supervillain? She's been both in the comics. I was suprised that they used the same actress that plays young Grace on "Black Lightning" given that they're both DC shows produced by Greg Berlanti.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
[Vague enough to prevent spoilers.]

So...The Shining Knight, obviously.

I have no idea who she is supposed to be, though. I'm guessing she's from after my time.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
One of the main areas where I can tell that this show has a bigger budget than the Arrowverse shows is in the fight scenes. Not so much the choreography -- "Arrow" had excellent fight choreography, and "Batwoman" has inherited the excellent stunt team from "Arrow" -- but in the sophistication of the camera work and the complexity of the visual effects involved.

Since "Supergirl" jumped from CBS to the CW, she hardly ever has aerial battles any more; the use of flight on the show is often no more sophisticated than the George Reeves Superman, with her basically propelled off a trampoline out of frame.

By contrast, there are some really complicated physics involved with the cosmic staff, especially when it and Stargirl are moving independently of one another while interacting with one another.

Mike being jealous of all the time his dad is spending with Courtney is something I've been waiting for a while now.

I have no idea who she is supposed to be, though. I'm guessing she's from after my time.
Shiv. She was introduced by Geoff Johns along with Courtney Whitmore in the late nineties. As in the show, the comics version of the character is the daughter of the Bronze Age villain Dragon King.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Shiv. She was introduced by Geoff Johns along with Courtney Whitmore in the late nineties. As in the show, the comics version of the character is the daughter of the Bronze Age villain Dragon King.

I know that I read Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. for at least a couple of years (it started in 1999, and 2002 was about when I was leaving comics for a good long while. I just checked the Grand Comics Database, and find that she was introduced in #4, which I know I read -- it was a crossover with The Power of Shazam! I'm sure I still have it in a box somewhere. But for the life of me, I've completely blanked on the Shiv character.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Another good episode. Shiv is nasty.

The big question is how the conflict between The Icicle's son liking Courtney and the The Icicle's plans will play out. Or whether Shiv/Cindy will do anything she may regret not knowing who he is.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Renewed for season 2 and becomes a full CW show - Deadline article
I just hope it doesn't take a huge nosedive in quality like "Supergirl" did when it moved from CBS to The CW.

At least it shouldn't need to relocate like "Supergirl" did; it already films in Atlanta, which is one of The CW's major production centers. "Black Lightning" already shoots there, so if they decide to have crossovers between the post-"Crisis" Earth Prime that the Arrowverse shows are set on and the post-"Crisis" Earth-2 that "Stargirl" is set on, then "Black Lightning" would be the easiest one to pull off.

Here's the official press release:
The CW Press Release said:

THE CW NETWORK RENEWS “DC’S STARGIRL” FOR SEASON TWO

adddeed1bec8c822cf0b4273d5e3848d.jpg

The CW and Its Streaming Platforms to Become Exclusive In-Season Home
to “DC’s Stargirl”

July 6, 2020 (Burbank, CA) – The CW Network today announced it has renewed the hit new series DC’S STARGIRL for a second season. The CW will become the exclusive in-season home to the breakout superhero hit next season, airing on The CW Television Network and streaming the next day on The CW’s free, ad-supported streaming platforms. The first season of DC’S STARGIRL is currently airing Tuesdays (8:00-9:00pm ET/PT).

DC’S STARGIRL follows high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore (series star Brec Bassinger, “Bella and the Bulldogs,” “School of Rock,” “The Goldbergs”) as she inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop the villains of the past. This new drama reimagines Stargirl and the very first superhero team, the Justice Society of America, in an unpredictable series. The series focuses on the character that started creator Geoff Johns’ career as a comic book writer when he created her in 1999, lovingly inspired by his late sister who was killed in a 1996 plane crash.

Geoff Johns (“Arrow,” “Batwoman,” “The Flash,” “Titans”) executive produces DC’S STARGIRL with Melissa Carter (“Queen Sugar”), who serves as co-showrunner, as well as Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter and Greg Beeman. Based on the characters from DC created by Geoff Johns, DC’S STARGIRL is produced by Berlanti Productions and Mad Ghost Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television. DC’S STARGIRL stars Brec Bassinger, Luke Wilson, Amy Smart, Yvette Monreal, Anjelika Washington, Cameron Gellman, Trae Romano, Jake Austin Walker, Hunter Sansone, Meg DeLacy, Neil Jackson and Christopher James Baker.

Art is available online at http://www.cwtvpr.com, as well as the latest releases, biographies and other relevant press information for all The CW’s programs.

MEDIA CONTACTS:

Paul Hewitt, 818/977-6171
[email protected]

For DC’s Stargirl:
Judy Yam, 818/977-1021
[email protected]

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Nice short chat with the cast.

Ooops! Just checked the YouTube comments and apparently one scene that is mentioned hasn't aired yet. So, minor spoiler there.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
From the previews for next week's episode it seems that the one scene shown in the chat above will be airing next week.

This week's episode was interesting and brought the Seven Soldiers into continuity. I think that the actual dates in the history in this world might give people headaches if they think about it too much.

Jordan Mahkent looked a lot more interesting and perhaps slightly conflicted this episode.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Well, I didn't expect them to kill Brainwave Jr off. And I didn't expect the revelation that it was Brainwave Sr who killed his wife. That was way tragic. It's interesting that the ISA's downfall is with their spouses. Iceman with his wife and son. Brainwave with his wife and son. The wizard with his wife and son. It really has been tragic. Some of these villains developed other lives, rather than being just straight villains and this shows their humanity as well.

--james

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Well, I didn't expect them to kill Brainwave Jr off. And I didn't expect the revelation that it was Brainwave Sr who killed his wife. That was way tragic. It's interesting that the ISA's downfall is with their spouses. Iceman with his wife and son. Brainwave with his wife and son. The wizard with his wife and son. It really has been tragic. Some of these villains developed other lives, rather than being just straight villains and this shows their humanity as well.

--james
I was surprised as well. I thought he would have tried harder to turn him. As far as killing his wife, I'm wasn't too surprised, but I think he holds some some for Icicle for bringing it all to a head.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks