What's new

Stargate Universe Season 1 Announced (1 Viewer)

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Right no adventure at all. And all those switches back to earth with those stones are very confusing to me and boring as well.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

Other than the issues raised by this latest episode, I've enjoyed the series. It's kind of a shame that the thread about the DVD announcement has to be of the, "Stay away, it's shit" variety.
I don't think that anybody here is saying "Stay away, it's sh*t". I think we're saying "Stay away: It's being presented in half-season sets, *plus* it's boring!!" I certainly understand that this is a linear series and there's no question but that the chair introduced in this episode will come into play later. But the series is just moving much too slow for what is being presented as sci-fi/adventure. (And with the "Stargate" in the name, that *has* to be what is expected by the fans.) We're nearly done with the first half of the season. Where are the antagonists?? All this crew has done so far is survive. What little exploration that we've seen was involved with that. That's fine for about the first five eps (max). Perhaps this show just wants to be like "Lost". Well that's fine, I suppose: but please lose the "Stargate" moniker!

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Plus, there's the other problem. The ship only stops in order to get supplies for the ship or the crew. The crew are just trapped on the ship and there's only so much you can do, plotwise, because the series becomes dull and uninteresting. I think it's simply going to run out of steam.

By the way, the whole point of these topics isn't just to discuss the DVD release but to discuss the series related to that DVD release and that's what we're discussing. When you limit discuss to just the DVD, these topics become boring. Bear in mind, we're discussing here what every other topic in this forum has done before.

At any rate, this release has two things going against it. The series isn't all that good and when you combine that fact with the fact that MGM has fallen into the pantheon of other studios releasing half season sets, they're absolutely going to single handedly kill the DVD market. I just refuse to buy any DVD release where the studio doesn't offer the release as a complete set.

I just think that MGM is worried about this series and are trying to get current fans to buy the DVD's before they lose interest, as well.

Glenn Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
The problem is that the views of people on SGU seem to be split into two camps. Those that like it and those that hate it and there is very little in the middle.

Those in the "hate" camp are primarily those who liked SG-1 and SGA (like me). I did start to watch it because of the "Stargate" name and have only continued to watch because of the "Stargate" name and at the moment to see if it can get any worse. So far it hasn't failed me (ie getting worse). I did not want it to fail as after all it was supposed to still be Stargate.

The DVD releases are interesting because a majority of Stargate fans will buy Stargate DVDs no matter what (I own all of SG-1, SGA, the tv movies and even the BluRay SGA disc).

For me SGU is totally different and despite the Stargate name, I will not touch SGU in half-season or even full season sets for that matter.

If MGM have put into the equation existing Stargate series sales for how SGU will do, they are in for a shock especially as they seem to be fleecing fans with the expensive 1/2 season set.

Now if SGA was to be released on Blu-Ray, I'd buy it in a shot.
The mistake of both MGM and the producers is calling this series "Stargate Universe"; had they just called it "Universe" from makers of Stargate there wouldn't have been so much of an uproar.

Saying that the show wants to be like Lost may be true but the difference is that in Lost the story is interesting and the characters fascinating. In SGU they are neither.

The only other example I can think of is if when Dr Who was revived in 2005 they had changed the format and filled it with gratuitous sex thus compromising the integrity and reputation of the series that had preceded it.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I'm a *sci-fi* fan: I liked Star Trek (all iterations), Farscape, Babylon 5, BSG, Firefly, Terminator: TSCC, SG-1, and SG-A. And I own all of those series on DVD.

My problem is that I don't *hate* SGU. I recognize the really fine production values on the show, and even appreciate the efforts at increased characterization. It's just that the show is (mostly) *boring* from a sci-fi perspective. The only eps that have been interesting to me so far were "Air" parts 1-3, and "Time" which actually seemed like a "Stargate" show, but was, unfortunately, the ultimate "Reset Button" ep. ("Time" was at least somewhat innovative; and provided exploration, adventure, and good sci-fi mixed together with appropriate character moments. And it was "fun" to boot.) So out of 9 hours aired-to-date I found only one outstanding hour, three mediocre hours, and five boring hours. Sorry, but that's just not good enough. Not for a Sci-Fi show, and especially not for a Sci-Fi show that purports to take place in the Stargate universe. The main thing I need at this point is an antagonist of some form. Certainly, the shuttle that left the ship at the end of "Air" hints that there might be one out there somewhere. If this is not addressed in the mid-season "cliffhanger", then I'm crossing this Sci-Fi series off my list.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
The only exception where two shows from the same franchise series were being funded by the same network was the Star Trek series. Star Trek TNG/DS9 running at the same time and then there was DS9/Voyager airing at the same time when TNG ended its run.
Uh, not to nit-pick here... but I will anyway... Out of TNG, DS9 and Voyager, only Voyager was on a network (UPN). TNG and DS9 were syndicated and would appear on whatever local station wanted to buy them. Mostly independents (when there were still indies) and FOX stations as I recall.

As for SG-U. I am also find ing the show a chore to get through. There are probably still 3 or 4 on the DVR that I have yet to watch.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
The episodes that I had watched were basically just those episodes that are available through Comcast's On-Demand service. The problem that I had with watching some of these episodes is that the characters in the series seem too one-dimensional and I have a hard time understanding if this is due to the writing or to the actors themselves.

I think that while Brad Wright may have wanted to go in a different action with SGU, that it may have backfired on the director because we're already several episodes into this first season and it still feels as dry and boring as the first episode. While the first episode got the series off to a roaring start, racing through the Stargate in order to escape the firefight that had transpired on the planet they were on, it just sort of fizzled with the second episode.

The series just doesn't have that 'Stargate' feel to it and unless the directors, producers and writers figure a way to get the series out of this slump that it could be doomed for cancellation. I would recommend that the powers-that-be halt production and come up with a way to reboot the series. If I'm not mistaken, studio networks have done this with various shows that were in danger of being canceled. Knight Rider 2008, Sarah Connor Chronicles, Dollhouse and some others I'm forgetting at the moment. It's not that this hasn't been done before but considering that there are more dissenting fans of the Stargate series who dislike the current direction that SGU is going in isn't doing the creative staff any good.

Most of the fans of the Stargate franchise fell in love with the SG1 series and the SGA series. While I've never watched one single broadcast episode of any of these shows, my introduction to the series and my immersion into watching both of these shows comes from the purchase of every single season set that has been released. There's just something about the way the SGU is being produced that is failing to hook fans and those who find themselves watching the series, hoping that it's going to get better, are becoming rather impatient that the series isn't going anywhere.

While I don't know if anyone has been checking the forum topics on Sci-Fi Channel's own website, there are multiple topics from their own users about how dreadful the series is and most are ready to abandon the series if the producers cannot turn the series around:

http://forums.syfy.com/index.php?s=f483ecaf214fc473d4cc285de236bc79&showforum=167

The one thing is that there are more angered fans of this latest series then there are from those who enjoy it.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Originally Posted by Joseph Bolus

Certainly, the shuttle that left the ship at the end of "Air" hints that there might be one out there somewhere. If this is not addressed in the mid-season "cliffhanger", then I'm crossing this Sci-Fi series off my list.
Apparently the shuttle is dealt with in the first episode back. At least, that's what Mazolli's blog noted. There's more information in the SGU viewing thread.

Arild

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge

The one thing is that there are more angered fans of this latest series then there are from those who enjoy it.
Pfft. That is always the case with scifi shows. Or at least, it's always the case with Stargate. No matter how much they may appear to be the majority, don't make the mistake of thinking that angry fans on the internet are representative of fandom in general or the overall audience, because they're not. The ones with an axe to grind are always the ones who scream the loudest. This is why I don't hang around Stargate fan forums anymore (and I used to - a lot). I just got sick of all the whining. And yes; this has been going on since long before SGU came along. Believe me - the "fans" complaining about Stargate? That's just business as usual.

Also, from what I understand, SGU currently has more viewers than SGA had towards the end of its run. So I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the producers to "fix" the show to fit the old mold.

Me? I like SGU. It's not without its flaws, for sure, but when you guys talk about how "boring" it is or that it's a "chore to sit through" I'm just scratching my head wondering if we're watching the same show. Because IMO, although like I said it's not perfect, it's certainly engaging. And I like that they're going in a different direction this time. As much as I loved SG-1 and Atlantis, I don't see the point in doing the same thing yet again. I do hope the series picks up the pace a bit, though, it feels to me like it's still building towards something.

qmeister84

Auditioning
Real Name
Quentin
you guys are crazy SGU is sooooooooooooo much better than SGA. and the reason SGA really got canned is because people dont like to watching almost the same exact TV series as SG1 they made that whole style of show and all SGA was is a rip off of that. and come on Sga was just a little to flashy and bright the whole set of SGA seemed like i was about to watch Barnie like he was about to come through the gate singing AAAAAHHHHHHHH and come on was it really a surprise that SGA got cancelled they were trying so hard to try and keep that sinking ship afloat and they were just trying way to hard with it esp with bringing Amanda Tapping to the show maybe and i stretch maybe if she was the original first comander of Atlantis the show mite have lasted

SGU it the new Stargate and i say its about damn time

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Interesting, if contradictory comments from some. Someone noted that SG-1 was a rare 'original' sci-fi show (though it was based on a movie), and then suggested that SG-U should be more like the previous incarnations (which wouldn't be very original!).

I liked SG-1, and I find this new show refreshing. It has an interesting vibe about it, and being a more conversational and character driven show than alien world of the week, I am a fan.

It's a shame that long-time SG fans aren't feeling this new show - but I think this latest incarnation may be bringing in a new batch of fans to the franchise.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister84 ">[/url]

you guys are crazy SGU is sooooooooooooo much better than SGA. and the reason SGA really got canned is because people dont like to watching almost the same exact TV series as SG1 they made that whole style of show and all SGA was is a rip off of that. and come on Sga was just a little to flashy and bright the whole set of SGA seemed like i was about to watch Barnie like he was about to come through the gate singing AAAAAHHHHHHHH and come on was it really a surprise that SGA got cancelled they were trying so hard to try and keep that sinking ship afloat and they were just trying way to hard with it esp with bringing Amanda Tapping to the show maybe and i stretch maybe if she was the original first comander of Atlantis the show mite have lasted

SGU it the new Stargate and i say its about damn time[/QUOTE]Actually, you have it all wrong. Stargate Atlantis was getting prime ratings. However, Sci-Fi didn't want to pay to produce two Stargate TV shows at the same time, and considering the state of the economy, the Sci-Fi channel didn't want to pay for two shows. This caused a decision to be reached to end SGA in favor of SGU. However, Sci-Fi has been getting hit by longtime fans of the Stargate series as well as SGA fans who only liked the SGA series.

SGU has been getting slammed on most online forums and it's only getting worse. The main complaint is that the series is too dull and boring and that it has nothing to do with the Stargate aspect of the series. What's also worse is that there are no likeable characters on the series, with the exception of Lou Diamond Phillips, who isn't even a regular cast member, which Sci-Fi deliberately misled fans on.

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by [b]Neil Middlemiss[/b] [url=/forum/thread/295280/stargate-universe-season-1-announced/30#post_3637536]

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I don't know if I would so far as to call it an original show. The problem with the show is that the writers, producers and directors take too long to develop the characters and the screenplay for each episode is like watching a very bad movie while on dramamine. I'm a fan of SG1 and SGA but I just can't get into SGU.

I've watched a lot of sci-fi shows and this one is really the worst of the lot. The show has a lot of problems with the first being the cast. They're just very unlikeable and Dr. Rush is the worst of them all. There are no real threats on the show to make the series interesting.

With SG1, the series had the Gou'ld and the Replicators with the Ori replacing both at the end of the series. Then, there were the Asgard and the Ancients. Interesting characters, most of them. With SGA, we had the Wraith and the human-form Replicators. SGU doesn't have that factor to make it interesting.

I did not call SG-U an original show, just refreshing.

I would disagree with your assessment that the show has no real threats to make it interesting. I like the exploration of the folk stranded themselves being a threat (as order frays at the edges). Also, the show has dealt with lack of air, water, food etc - which have been interesting 'threats' to deal with.

Perhaps you are not suggesting this, but one of the elements of this show that I find refreshing when compared to the almost labyrinthine foes and mythology of SG-1, etc, is the lack of foes/aliens etc on planets from week to week. That to me is the common, expected foil for Sci-fi heroes. SG-U, to me, is attempting (and to me, mostly succeeding) at making a human drama out of a sci-fi setting, based on some basic tenets of the SG universe (no pun intended). This show is more accessible, and thus far, more interesting than SG-A ever was or a retread of SG-1 would have been.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Neil, while I appreciate what you are trying to say, I have to say that I've been unimpressed with SGU to date. It's lack of connection to what made the previous two shows interested, it's lack of a threat to keep the show focused just relegates the show to a generic sci-fi show combined with uninteresting characters.

Like many other fans, I tried to give this show a chance. But, I couldn't stay interested in the series.

The problem with the show is that it lacks this common threat. With every sci-fi series that has ever been produced, the main characters of the series has had a single or multiple alien threats to deal with. Battlestar Galactica has the Cylons. Star Trek has Klingons, Romulans, Borg, Dominion, etc. Buck Rogers had the Draconian Empire. Babylon 5 had their war with the Shadows. Sliders had the Kromaggs.

Matter of fact, I think you would be hard pressed to find any sci-fi series that didn't have such a visible threat to the main characters of the series. While there may be a few shows out there, I can't think of any that are the exception to this rule. If the series were a good series, then there wouldn't be as many sci-fi fans who have been expressing their disinterest in this show. Just one look at the Sci-Fi.com forums, which produces the series, has more detractors against this new show than there are those who like it.

I think if the show were more focused and more stable, and included such a threat, that the series could be more enjoyable by sci-fi and Stargate fans. However, this whole "trapped on a starship' just isn't impressing many sci-fi fans and has been done to death. There just isn't any direction or stability among the creative and production staff.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex

Neil, while I appreciate what you are trying to say, I have to say that I've been unimpressed with SGU to date. It's lack of connection to what made the previous two shows interested, it's lack of a threat to keep the show focused just relegates the show to a generic sci-fi show combined with uninteresting characters.

Then stop watching and just wander off to another show. I agree that this release is garbage, and I won't be picking this up (I'll be waiting for a "complete" season 1 after it's all aired), but I'm going to keep watching the show. I find it interesting. It's not the "old" Stargate, but it's still interesting to me.

The problem with the show is that it lacks this common threat. With every sci-fi series that has ever been produced, the main characters of the series has had a single or multiple alien threats to deal with. Battlestar Galactica has the Cylons. Star Trek has Klingons, Romulans, Borg, Dominion, etc. Buck Rogers had the Draconian Empire. Babylon 5 had their war with the Shadows. Sliders had the Kromaggs.
B5's badguys didn't really show up until late season 1. Star Trek and TNG never really had "bad guys". They just had people they had issues with. Repeatedly. The bad guys in DS9 didn't really show up until late season 3. Just a few examples.

For all we know, SGU's baddies will show up early in the second half of the season. Joseph Mazolli's (sp) blog has suggested exactly such a thing in fact.

Either way, there's an SGU thread for discussing the show and one for discussing the upcoming release. It makes the most sense to keep conversations about the release in particular in here and the show over there.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Actually, DS9 (s1-3) dealt with the continuing threat of the Cardassian Empire as they attempted to try and regain control of Terok Nor. Might I also remind you that the Dominion began emerging in Season 2 of the series. While only mentioned by name, and the Jem Hadar appearing in the season finale, they did start to appear as a threat in the second season.

Babylon 5? Well, Season 1 dealt with Commander Jeffrey Sinclair and the important role that he held in regards to the Minbari. Season 1 set up the storyline that would dominate Seasons 2-4, the Shadow War.

And, discussing the DVD release is exactly what everyone is discussing here and why most are disgusted with the show and why a lot of fans won't be buying the release. It's hard to separate the two when discussing the DVD release because episode discussion containing to the DVD release permeates every topic in this forum.

;)

SGU just has a lot of faults and I figure the only reason this set has been rushed for release is because of the recent financial problems regarding MGM and the fact that many of the properties MGM owns are in danger oh shutting down production. James Bond, Stargate, the Hobbit and many other shows under their banner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks