Stargate Ultimate DVD DTS problem

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Edward Schatz, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz Second Unit

I've experienced an audio dropout on the director's cut DVD of Stargate, in the Ultimate Edition. It happens when using the DTS track at time 107mins and 3 secs in chapter 25. Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe it's my DVD but I just bought it. I am using the DVD in an Elite DV-45a with a Marantz 8200 receiver.

2. JamesDH

JamesDH Extra

I remember when I first got the disc that there is one spot that I did notice a dropout on the DTS track. I don't recall the exact time that it happened, but your time seems about right. The scene where I remeber the dropout is when they are captured and being escourted up the pyramid walkway just before the revolt. I flipped through the DD and DTS and it's only on the DTS track. I was kinda pissed but it only happens the one time that I noticed.

3. Edward Schatz

Well, thanks for the one reply. I got a new disc from Best Buy today and it has the same drop at the same time on the DTS track only. It is only on the Director's Cut disc as well. I think I can safely assume this has to do with my player. I am going to try another player and see what happens.

4. JamesDH

JamesDH Extra

I do remember checking the theatrical cut and there is no dropout on the DTS that I could detect. The dolby tracks seem to be alright on on both discs. I don't think that it is a problem with your player, but I could be wrong. I think it is just a glitch that fell through the cracks. I have a Toshiba SD-2109 connected with digital coax cable to a Denon 3802 reciever. Please let me know if the dropout does or doesn't happen when you try a different player. This glitch always bothered me, but I was too lazy to make a post at the time the disc was released.

5. Edward Schatz

I sent an e-mail to Artisan customer support regarding this. I will check another player tomorrow and report.

6. Kimo Bonnelycke

Kimo Bonnelycke Stunt Coordinator

Man, I wish I was home to check my copy. In the last 2 weeks I have aquired an almost new home theater (tv/receiver/dvd), and I finally have DTS (only had DD for last 4 years). I am a big fan of Stargate (have every version so far [​IMG] ), and would be very upset if there was a authoring problem..

Kimo B.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

layer change maybe?

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yep, sounds like a layer change to me.

9. Edward Schatz

I debated a layer change but I have never experienced one in which I lose the audio or is in the middle of a chapter. Is this player related or receiver related (the audio loss)? I am thinking it may have to do with my receiver. I have a Marantz 8200 which has a well known digital audio pickup delay of about 2 seconds. Supposedly, this delay will be fixed by an already released in Europe firmware update.

10. JamesDH

JamesDH Extra

It can't be a layer change because if you can switch it to dolby digital it doesn't dropout. Let's not blow this out of proportion. I don't think this tiny(only a fraction of a second of dropout) problem sould prevent anyone from enjoying the movie or from buying it?

11. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I just checked on my system (Yamaha DSP-A1, Sony DVP-NS900) and also heard the DTS dropout. It must be an authoring flaw.

It's definitely not the layer change (which takes place at 70:47, nearly 40 minutes earlier).

Adam

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    At what time is the dropout then?

13. Edward Schatz

107 minutes and 3 seconds on the Director's Cut disc.

14. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

yup,

the dropout is on on the DTS track, and not the DD.

15. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    I can not even get the directors cut to play but the regular release plays just fine??

16. Edward Schatz

Well, it doesn't seem like enough people either care of have the disc to have anything done about this. I e-mailed Artisan customer support and have not received a reply as of today, the 8th.

17. Derek Iverson

Derek Iverson Stunt Coordinator

It isn't that big of a deal. Just another excuse for an "extreme" edition though.

18. Edward Schatz

In the grand scheme of life, you are correct, it is not that big of a deal. I do, however, loathe the fact that quality control at Artisan seems absent. From the case designs to this disc, it is truly lacking. I want a disc or discs that have no flaws. If we let one slip by, then I am sure many more will start to slip by as well.