What's new

Stargate SG-1 Season 8 on 10/4 (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I'm also in a quandry. Do I pick up season 8 now and go through the BS, because they will only have the replacement available for a limited time? Or do I wait for a corrected repressing? If one happens, will we know when it has happened? Will it be corrected? There are too many questions.

I just started collecting this series. I only have seasons 1-3 but had planned on making a big order at DDD. Season 8 was when I started watching this show, so I have a lot of catching up to do.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm guessing it's going to be a long, long time before corrected copies show up on shelves--if at all. I bet you wouldn't be able to find a corrected Back to the Future set to this day if Universal hadn't repackaged the set for another sales push. With Stargate, I'm guessing that they are banking on the fact that most people won't know the difference, and those who do won't know how or won't bother with an exchange. At least in my area, this show doesn't move off the shelves too quickly. I've seen the same copies on shelves for years. When current stock has to be replaced, it may be the corrected version. But, there is probably enough current stock to satisfy demand.

David M.

Agent
Sony is fixing the checkmyrebate.com website to include Canadian consumers.

From my e-mail -

Dear Valued Consumer:

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your interest in Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) products.

We are in the process of fixing the Rebate website to include Canadian consumers. Please check back frequently throughout the day for this fix.

Thank you for your patience as we correct this problem.

Regards,

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Consumer Relations

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
I'm SO ticked off with SONY right now... :angry:

That whole exchange process is a joke...

Do they honestly think that we're going to send back our original discs and just hold our breath HOPING that they come through with the replacement?!? Give up our "bird in the hand" for an exchange which may or may not ever come through? If the replacement never came, we'd end up buying another complete set just to get back to where we started. I don't like them forcing me to gamble something I've already bought and paid for.

Or, do they really think that we're going to destroy the original packaging to comply with their requirements?

The only way I can see to do this would be to just go ahead and bite the bullet upfront and purchase ANOTHER complete set and use it for the swap...to avoid the gambler's nervousness and festering anger about the possible outcome. I'd rather go ahead and buy a second set, be ticked off about it (and hopefully start getting over being ticked off about it) than to have to wait, worry, and DREAD the possibility of having to buy a second set. (Crazy...yeah...admittedly.)

And, sadly, that's probably what I'll end up doing...in effect paying another full set price for the one disc which should have been included in the set to begin with.

I am NOT a happy customer.

Don't even get me started on how happy I'll be if I go this route and STILL don't get the replacement disc, after having purchased a second set for the sole purpose of using it for the exchange...

Christi P

Agent
They changed the rebate details - it says to send the dvd OR the proof of purchase.

If I am reading this correctly, you don't have to send the DVD.

Also, Amazon currently has earlier seasons of Stargate on sale for $30.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Why do you think it's a gamble? It sounds to me that as long as you get it in before the deadline next year, you'll get your disc. Of course, now that I know about the deadline, it looks like to be safe I better buy the set quick and send mine in.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Too bad they don't do it like Universal did Back To The Future. I don't recall all the details, but I'm pretty sure I didn't have to send my disc in, or even the proof of purchase.

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator

That's how it looks to me too. I hope it's the correct interpretation... It'd be nice to have *both* versions of the ep, and that way we don't need to be without the original disc while we are waiting for the replacement.

Now as far as the proof of purchase goes... I'm assuming we just need to send in the PoP square from the Disc 5 insert? Or is there supposed to be a separate PoP for the set as a whole? The only ones I can find are the ones on the inserts for each disc.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

That's the one you're supposed to use, according to the info at GateWorld:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/1...atlantis.shtml

Which, of course, necessitates partially destroying the insert itself. That may not be a big deal to everybody, but there are some folks around the forums who get upset at things as subtle as wrinkles and creases in artwork or inserts.

A copy of your original sales receipt is also required.

At least the rebate webform no longer asks for your actual account number at the retailer which you specify as your point of purchase, as it did at first.

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator
Linda, thanks for the info re: the PoP. (And no, I'm not really thrilled about cutting up the insert, but between that and sending away the original disc, I'll take the cut-up insert as the lesser of the two evils! ;) )

Was the copy of the receipt an original requirement that has since been removed?

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

No. You don't see that one until after you submit your info via the webform. When you submit it, you'll get a page offering you a choice, depending upon whether or not you have a printer available. The "printer available" choice brings up your final page, with your submitted info and your unique rebate number. You have to print that page and sign it. That's also where they tell you:

Please print and attach a copy of your sales receipt and original UPC Bar code to this form and send them to the below address. We suggest you keep a copy of this page for your records.

No mention of the "send in the DVD itself" option at this point, even though you won't have indicated (or been asked to indicate) any such choice.

BTW, turn off, or be prepared to over-ride, your pop-up blockers! All these steps come up in separate windows...

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, thanks! :emoji_thumbsup:

Edit: UPC bar code? We have to cut up the cover art too? Great... :rolleyes

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

Now you see why I said what I did earlier about just going ahead and biting the bullet for a second set, since ONE of them is going to have to be defaced to complete this disc replacement process, according to the explicit instructions at the rebate site. Even though the UPC barcode is on the BOTTOM of the outer box, we're still going to have to damage the box to cut it out and send it in.

Or, if we DON'T follow those instructions to the letter, there's a good possibility that our efforts will be in vain.

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I see what you mean. Although I assumed the UPC bar code would be the one on the back of the disc 5 keepcase cover, not the one on the bottom of the box itself. Surely they wouldn't expect us to cut up the box...

I think I'll just wait for a few more days to fill out the form, to see if they make the process a little less onerous.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

Probably a good idea. I've got mine all ready to go, except for cutting out the UPC barcode and attaching it to the form. I'm glad you posted before I got to that step! I may have thought to check for the barcode on the Disc 5 case (and use that one), but I'm not sure... So, thanks...you may have saved me on that one! :b

In any event, I guess I'll go ahead and order my 2nd set... Sigh...

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Guys, there's a solution to this. The disk that you send back to Sony to get replaced, just send back the entire clamshell and cut out the PoP tab from the disk/DVD insert that you're sending back. They did ask you to send the original DVD/DVD case for the replacement, right?

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Oh, Linda, no need to turn off pop up blockers, every time it opens up a window it doesn't act like a pop-up because I had no problem with it.

Arild

Supporting Actor
I wonder if the stand-alone version of the disc will have the full version of "Threads"...?

In any case, I suggest those of you who haven't bought the set yet and have the option to get the region 2 version, do so. It has the full-length version of Threads (though the UK release is missing the commentaries. I believe the discs released in the rest of Europe do have them).

John*D

Second Unit
I'm probably going to photocopy the POP/UPC and include a copy of my Invoice from when I purchased the set. I'm also going to include a NOTE saying, I REFUSE TO DESTROY MY PACKAGING! Now gimme my disc! - something like that, but nicer.

Shannon B

Grip
I just found out about this. I tried filling out the rebate form, but the store I bought from (Deep Discount DVD) isn't listed. What are we supposed to do then?

Thanks.

Shannon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks