Stargate SG-1 - Huge Change Ahead *BIG SPOILER*

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter D, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

I came across this on Salon this morning - it discusses what happens in an episode that hasn't aired here yet, but has in the U.K.
    Can you say 'jumped the shark'?

2. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I'm tempted to look, but I really don't want to have anything spoiled for me. [​IMG]
    Jon

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ouch! But now it makes much more sense. I have had the feeling since the last season started that they were sort of 'wrapping up some loose ends', as they say.

I hadn't heard about that episode, and I am wondering now if that is the season finale. If so, I don't think I'm going to bother to watch season six at all.

Also, with the 6 month gap, I figured that they were doing some massive re-writing to accomadate the transfer over to the Sci-Fi channel, but it looks like the going phrase is "The Sci-Fi channel be dammed!'

Really funny, Peter - - and thanks!

Glenn

4. Thomas D

Thomas D Stunt Coordinator

I remember about a year ago about Michael Shanks wanting to leave the show. I didn't think that they'd actually write Daniel out of the show. Heck, he was my favorite character.

5. Tim Maynard

Tim Maynard Stunt Coordinator

I've just seen the episode here in New Zealand, and have been looking around the internet about it. I've found a site Save Daniel Jackson where it tells how Michael Shanks felt the character Daniel Jackson was becoming less important, there only because he had to be,.. wallpaper as he puts it.
    He was my favorite character also... mainly the smart/nerdy aspect, which I guess I identify with.

6. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I haven't read the link. The program has already aired in the UK. I don't know why Showtime's been sitting on the back end of season 5, but it finally starts up again on Friday.

MS may be my favorite. However, I'll continue to watch as long as everything else that's great about the show is maintained. Apparently the exit allows for his return in films. Season 6 likely will be the last. I wished he had just stayed. It's not like he has a huge film career.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Those articles on Salon are obviously by someone that watched the show to stare at Shanks. THey say that the ratings are down 25%, well, that's what happens with 6 months of reruns!

Corin Nemic is just as cute as Shanks, and his character has great potential to be just as interesting.

Why is it, that when a Sci-Fi show creates a continuing storyline, everyone bitches and wants monster/planet of the week stuff? It's like they want their shows dumbed down.

8. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

I held off reading this thread until I actually got a chance to view this season's final episodes.

9. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

I haven't seen any of eps since 'Wormhole Extreme', but it wasn't just the death of Daniel Jackson that made me think 'jump the shark'. I could have sworn I read in that article that the Tokra and the Tolan were being wiped out in one swift blow as well (which combined with the death of a major character seemed like a giant shift in direction). But looking at it again I don't see that there, so I'm wondering what I was smoking. :b

So now I'll just have to wait and see the eps I missed and see how Parker Lewis does as his replacement. I don't think the death of Daniel Jackson is enough to kill the show myself, but the original cast did have a nice chemistry.

10. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

The last episodes of last season were pretty good. Answered a lot of questions about all of the major aliens SG-1 has come in contact with. Even though Daniel died it wasnt the writers who got rid of him. He left the show to move on. Im looking forward to this season

capt