1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Stargate SG-1 - Descent 6/21

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Berggren, Jun 24, 2002.

1. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I've decided now that I'm comfortable with the cast change on Stargate SG-1. They seem to be taking their time in letting Jonas integrate into the team. They didn't just throw him in as if he's been there all along. The dynamic of his relationship with Teal'c is excellent, and Jack treats him exactly as I would suspect he would. It remains to be seen how Jonas will interact with Carter, but I get the impression that she at least respects him.
    They didn't get a Goa'uld mothership, but they did grab 2 death gliders, and that's something [​IMG].
    I suspect we'll see the return of Thor before the end of the season.
    Looks like Dr. Frazier will be back next week. I'm very excited about that, I was concerned we'd lost her, and I was missing her presence.
    And is it just me or has the white haired Stargate control operator had more lines in the first three episodes of this season than he's had in the prior 5 seasons? He must be overjoyed. Now maybe if I could remember his name [​IMG].

2. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

3. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

I love the lines about trying not to crash the next mothership they get. ;-)

BTW, the technician is Sgt. Walter Davis.

He had a somewhat larger role in "2010", when he was the SGC's museum curator.

4. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

True, he has had instances of dialogue before, particularly in 2010... but it seems he has consistently had 2-3 lines in these first 3 episodes. A defined increase from seasons 1-5. I'm actually always very happy when minor characters recur & get involved, I think it shows what a strong program it is.

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I've been watching "Stargate SG-1" for the first time on the Sci-Fi channel, and one thing that struck me was how easy it is to pick things up, even though there's apparently five years of backstory. That generally means the writers are doing a fairly good job of balancing micro- and macrostories.

Of course, "Descent" did manage to hit one of my pet peeves - the idea that when someone "downloads" something, the original copy is gone. I always wonder if the writer has ever actually used a computer when they make this plot point.

6. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Season 5 Spoilers here:

The download was of a being into the ship's computer, a being who since fell into a coma and isn't likely to revive. The race he's from bases their reproduction on cloning, and thus his essence could conceivably be uploaded into a clone, and he could live again. I don't think it's quite hitting your pet peeve, but I could be wrong.

7. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

It's still data in a computer. As an analogy, you wouldn't expect a photocopier to destroy the original document.

You wouldn't believe how many times I screamed at the television when "Voyager" used this.

8. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I think I understand what you are getting at but:

1) The computer on the ship blew up with the ship.
    2) The computer that is "Thor" - a being - is in a body that will likely die. They are going to upload his essence into a new body. There is no other "computer" or "hard drive" that exists that can effectively access the "data".

9. Glenn L

Glenn L Stunt Coordinator

Actually I think you need to look at it another way:
    Thor was responsible for his own movement into the computer. He used the device that was implanted, and moved instead of copied because he didn't want to leave anything in his own brain that could be used... which is why his body is comatose now.
    ...Maybe [​IMG]

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

11. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

WOW! A thread discussing "Theories of Cloning and Quantum Physics"!

I'm duly impressed!

12. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I think Samantha Carter is smart enough to remove the part of the ship containing Thor's being/memories, but I don't think she had the parts or the ability to make a copy. Remember, it's alien technology. She didn't download him into an apple laptop, she specifically yanked the hard drive.

13. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

My impression was that a bit of both was happening. Carter "downloaded" Thor to specific memory chips, and then yanked them. My guess is that those specific memory chips already had a significant fraction of Thor's personality, and any parts of Thor left onboard after their removal wouldn't be a complete personality with enough power to save the ship.

14. Hugh Scrivener

Hugh Scrivener Stunt Coordinator

Good Luck figuring all THAT out! I have to say I'm some what pissed at the move to Sci-Fi....not only do I now have commercial interruption, but I no longer get it in Dolby Digital 5.1.....that really sucks!!! Does Sci-Fi broadcast digital sound on a satalite system? I'm on Adelphia Digital cable now, but soon will be adding an HDTV ready Toshiba to the theater, would satalite bring back that awesome, well executed Stargate sound?