Stargate SG-1 anybody?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by jaredIS, Jun 9, 2006.

1. jaredIS

jaredIS Auditioning

I just found out that they are going to re-release the Stargate SG-1 series in 10th anniv. special ed. sets, that are not only supposed to be cheaper, but have a sneek peak at seson 10.

[​IMG] Now I have to re-buy seasons 1 & 2 so my sets will match. This sneak peek better be good!!!

2. Katherine_K

Katherine_K Second Unit

I wouldn't bet that the sneak peek will be that interesting, and the slim sets have been known to be coming for a while. Mainly its' a space savings deal. The SG1 sets took up a lot of shelf space in stores.

3. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Why worry about the sneak peak of season 10? You know you are going to get the season 10 boxset sometime in the future anyway, am I right? Sneak peaks are pretty much useless extras anyway.....watch them once and they are quickly forgotten.

As for the my boxsets, I'll just keep my oversized sets....no need to rebuy what I already have. There's other DVDs out there for me to purchase.

4. Bill_Nolan

Bill_Nolan Agent

I just want a season 9 set. Don't even care if it matches my copies of 1-8...

- Bill

5. John M. Ford

John M. Ford Agent

It would be nice if MGM would offer the smaller boxes and thinpaks to replace the larger boxes for those of us who have already purchased the earlier sets. If they were offered at a reasonable cost I would consider buying them just to save space on my shelves.
    johnf

6. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I've actually held off on S8 altogether in hopes that I'll make the switch to BluRay for both Atlantis and SG-1.

7. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Was waiting to pick the series up and today was finally the day. Got all 8 new slimpaks at Best Buy. Can't wait to dig in-been meaning to check it out for a while.

8. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

This is on my to buy list. I wish I could afford to get them all at the same time.

9. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I was looking at the 1st season set out of curiosity and noted that it had a 5.1 Dolby soundtrack. I recall that the original release for that season was a 2.0 track. Hmmmm......this one might be worth an upgrade if that is the case.....wonder if the picture quality is improved as I recall the first season being rather grainy on some episodes.

10. Blair G

Blair G Second Unit

I noticed all of the new slimpacks say "mastered in high definition". There is no such mention on the old packaging.
    Yet the packaging shows copyright dates matching the old sets.....only the revised packaging itself is copyrighted 2006.
    I've got Seasons 1 to 7 in the old packaging. Think I'll buy Season 8 that way too....at least it will match the rest.

11. Katherine_K

Katherine_K Second Unit

I would doubt there is a picture quality improvement. Seasons one, two, and three were all shot on 16 mm film which is why they are grainy. Seasons four, five, six, and seven were shot on 35 mm film, and season eight onward they are shooting on HD.

There are some exceptions. "Nemesis" in season three was shot on 35 mm and "Entity" in season four was a test for early HD.

12. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

I think since I'm watching Season 6 of RDA's other series (MacGyver) I might start to buy these up and watch them after I finish that.

13. alanR

alanR Auditioning

I heard Stargate SG-1 is coming to hi-def dvd......does it make sense to wait?? What do you think.....

14. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

I haven't read anything about Stargate, but Atlantis was announced as one of the initial Blu-Ray titles a few months ago. Whether that will come to fruition is anyone's guess...

15. Blair G

Blair G Second Unit

Just finished watching Season 3 tonight (yes....I'm 6, or is it 7, years behind)
    Glad that the picture quality will improve from here on in. I found it pretty rough on many scenes over the first 3 seasons.

16. Blair G

Blair G Second Unit

Just finished watching Season 3 tonight (yes....I'm 6, or is it 7, years behind)
    Glad that the picture quality will improve from here on in. I found it pretty rough on many scenes over the first 3 seasons.

17. Blair G

Blair G Second Unit

18. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

Blair, any chance you've just finished watching Season 3...? [​IMG]

19. Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore Second Unit

I wish I had them in the slimpaks, but I'm not going to bother repurchasing the whole set. If I want to cut back on the shelf space, I'll just buy some thinpak cases.

20. Blair G

Blair G Second Unit

Geez...I don't know what the heck happened. ;0