Stargate leaving Showtime?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Galvin, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Galvin

Galvin Agent

If this is moving to scifi it will be bad in two cases.

Sci-fi is not a digital station, so picture is not as clear, and we'll have commercials. ick.

2. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Galvin,

Very old news. But look at the upside....

No move to Sci-Fi, no more Stargate. That my friend would certainly have been worse.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Stargate is ready from the get-go to have commercials put in it.Why do you think it's only 44min?

4. Galvin

Galvin Agent

I'm not stupid. I been watching it on showtime for 5 years, the change sucks, but oh well.

5. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

No one said you were stupid Galvin. Just showing an up side to the move.

6. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    I had heard about the move to SCI-FI channel, and the departure of "Jackson", but has anyone else heard about SG1 hitting the big screen?

I had heard somewhere, that a motion picture is in the works and expected to hit theaters in late 2002, or early 2003?

Does anyone have any details?

Thanks,

Spence

7. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

What departure of Jackson?
    He's a central character WAY back from the movie. Without Daniel...no Stargate, No Wormhole, No Movie, No Series!
    Where did this come from??????
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]!

8. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    Michael Shanks has decided to leave the series. The usual actor gripe about their character not getting enough focus.

I had read an article describing his character's fate, and that fans are leading a boycott of the series.

There was a thread with a link to the article somewhere here in HTF, but I'm at work and don't have time to search for it.

The character of Jackson was an integral part of the first motion picture, but the ensemble cast containing the few new characters made him expendable.

As long as they keep the character of Samantha Carter, with her pools of blue (eyes), and maintain somewhat intelligent scripts, I will remain a fan of the series. In fact I look forward to how this character's demise will effect the others. It will be interesting to see how things play out.

Spence

9. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

However Jackson leaves (or left - Season 5 has run it's course in the UK), they are leaving an opening for his return in Stargate films, which are "tentatively planned". Take a look at the "Coming Attractions" website if you'd like to see how many films get to this stage and no farther. I hope Stargate fares better.

Yes, Stargate is moving to Sci-fi. There is no way that Showtime would have run it beyond season 5, and they have a relationship with Scifi on their Friday Scifi programming. I'll reserve judgement until I see it on Scifi.

I didn't become a fan of Stargate until the Season 1 boxed set. I thought it was going to be a mediocre series based on a mediocre film. Boy was I wrong. My appreciation for this series grew with each episode all the way through 5.12. I hope the back end of season 5 and season 6 can maintain or build on that quality.

I honestly think Michael Shanks is making a mistake. SG1 will run one more season, and he could have stuck it out, making it easier for him to return for the films. He doesn't exactly have people pounding down his door for films or series. He's my favorite character/actor on the show, but I'll still watch without him.