What's new

Stargate Blu-Ray reviews? (1 Viewer)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'm a bit apprehensive about picking this up today. Any reviews? I can't find any.

Mike

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Is it actually out? I've read elsewhere that the BD titles slated for today have been delayed for at least a week. This is one I'd certainly purchase if the picture quality is up to par.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Was it pushed back? highdefdigest has it listed as today.

EDIT: The BR release list above has it listed as today also.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
It is being reported by HighDefDigest that the Lion's Gate Blu-ray titles scheduled for 8/22 are delayed one week to 8/29 due to supply problems. DVD Empire is showing the new date on their site.

Lionsgate Bumps Second Blu-ray Wave http/www.highdefdigest.com
Tue Aug 22, 2006 at 06:39 PM ET

With no formal advance warning, Lionsgate has postponed its second wave of Blu-ray titles originally due in stores today by one week to August 29. Full Story

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
No kidding?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Oh, and now I'm reading reviews (WSR) where HD DVD titles have EE!!! :-(

Again, I've got to start a thread to "bash" all those that said the "problems" of DVD would not be a part of HD discs.
Yeah, RIGHT!!!

Edit:
I really do hope this title is a stunning HD disc. SG would make a GREAT HD 'ride'!!!

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Whoever said that was naive. :)
If the HD transfer has EE so does the HD-DVD. And many HD transfers have EE (and other issues as well). HD transfers have been made since the mid 90s.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the post, Michel.
Believe me, I'm taking WSR & others, with a ton of sea salt!
I knew if I posted that I'd get some responses.
I'll need more info before I "burn down" HD on disc! ;-)
Edit;
Would you have the "timeframe" that HD transfers became 'HiDef'?
Thanks, again!

MichaelPR

Second Unit

If you can show me an HD-DVD disc that exhibits EE I'd be very interested. I have seen no EE on the HD-DVDs I've seen....which is many.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I now have Stargate, Total Recall and Devil's Rejects in hand and will likely check them out tomorrow. Stir of Echos was not in the package. Also, local Best Buy did not have these titles today. I need to swap players to review as I currently have the Toshiba in place and want to view The Searchers as top priority.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Hidef_Digest has their review up, here and both picture quality and sound quality exceeded his expectations.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter

I have seen very few HD DVDs so far. One I can confirm it has EE is "U-571". The same as on the D-Theater tape. I have seen hundreds of HD transfers from TV. There are many that have EE. And I have seen quite some D-Theater tapes too. Again many had EE. Sony transfers had practically all EE as it was built into their system (Lawrence of Arabia etc.). The amount varies from hard to see to in the face ugly. Checking my notes of HD transfers I have seen here are more examples with EE:
Piano, The (1993)
Awakenings (1990)
Hurricane, The (1999)
Life of David Gale, The (2003)
Big Picture, The (1989)
Hudsucker Proxy, The (1994)
Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)
Chain Reaction (1996)
Nine Months (1995)
Speed (1994)
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, The (2003)
Gosford Park (2001)
X2 (2003)
Insomnia (2002)
Mission: Impossible (1996)
Family Man, The (2000)
K-PAX (2001)
Mummy, The (1999)
River Runs Through It, A (1992)
Tuxedo, The (2002)
Changing Lanes (2002)
Panic Room (2002)
Spiderman (2002)
Sunshine (1999)
Courage Under Fire (1996) (some bad EE)
Lost Son, The (1999)
Bandits (2001)
Monster's Ball (2001) (some bad EE)
Jerry Maguire (1996)
etc. etc.

Digital sharpening simply was and is a standard procedure for HD transfers and digital intermediates alike. And ringing and outlines caused by it are widespread. That is sad and stupid, but it's the reality. Whether you can see it on your home cinema screen or not depends on how big your picture is, how close you sit, your equipment and if you know what it looks like.
Fortunately there are also examples with (almost) no EE and they look beautiful in that regard.

Spero D

Second Unit

Looks like this will be the 1st Blu-Ray title I pick up when I get my Sony BD-S1 in September/October.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I like how Stargate is a show about time travel according to the author of the review. Man I didn't know that. :) What have I been watching all these years?

Regards

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

lol! :laugh: I really respect Peter Bracke's Reviews, but he really blew it on that one!

Ya' know ... I don't own a BD player but I just may have to go ahead and pick this title up anyway. From the way the High-Def Digest review sounds, this just may be the best quality transfer of this movie to Home Video ever!! (I own about three previous (fairly disappointing) versions of this movie on DVD.)

Unfortunately, it'll be awhile before I'll be able to actually play it!! :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks