What's new

Stargate: Atlantis Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Over all I really enjoyed the first episode.

Should be very interesting to see how the season precedes.

It was interesting that the Daedalus was able to hold it’s own for a while with the Wraith ships. It got me to wondering, could a fleet of Asgard ships kick their ass?

If so why not enlist their help?

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
Given the Daedelus' performance, yes I think a small group of Asgard ships would kick butt. Given that SGC effectively eliminated the replicator threat from the Asgard, you might think they would be willing.

Of course this also re-energizes the question of why the Ancients couldn't take care of the wraith themselves. Previously, the excuse was that they were just too numerous, but if the Daedelus can take on three of them, and the Ancients had undoubtedly more powerful ships......

As for episode in total,I thought what they dud with Ford, and the cloaking of the city were lame story facets. I mean, the wraith wouldn't notice the lack of debris? At least send scouts to verify? It was too easy.

RG

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I was wondering, what happened to the opening credits?? I really liked the opening theme but the shorter version left a lot to be desired.

Chris S.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Apparently the shortened opening means more commercial time.

Although I had hoped that a shorter opening might open the shows for longer running times of actual story.

regards

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Re: Asgard and Ancients vs Wraith

My current belief (explanation) is the Asgard are generally pacifists like the Noxx and are not interested in righting the wrongs of the galaxy, a Prime Directive if you will. To do so would require they become the very thing they were fighting. Plus the political situation on their world could be: "If we are not directly threatenend, we do not get involved." Several episodes dealt with this concept using different races.

With the Ancients I assume their numbers were incredibly small with most already ascended and the remaining few occupying Atlantis. You would think Earth historians might have noticed a billion or even a few million new inhabitants suddenly showing up.

I will say that Wraith adapting to the beaming technology was too quick. What are they, the Borg? I would have prefered that they could re-enter hyperspace faster than we could destroy them all or that the beamer was damaged. Have them adapt at a later time after "studying" the problem.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

I agree! This aspect did bother me some too. Everything we've seen of the Wraith has not suggested they are exceptionally advanced in science and technology. True they are ahead in some aspects of these areas. BUt I get the impression they reached their current state a long time ago and really haven't done any work towards anything new. Now they are so quickly able to adjust their shields on their ships to block Asgard beams.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit

Only a VERY SMALL number of the wraith are "awake" right now.

It was explained that there is not enough humans to sustain ALL the wraith being "awake". The VAST MAJORITY of the ships are parked somewhere.

But when the Ancients were around, all the wraith were awake, and were able to overwhelm simply with numbers.

This is why the Wraith are so interested in SG1. The read someones mind, and learned about Earth, which has enough people to bring all the Wraith back.

Nick

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey

I believe all Wraith are awake right now and there are alot of them. That is why so many planets are in danger and partly why the Jenai(sp?) are so pissed. We woke them up and screwed everyone else while we sit safe in Atlantis. I don't think they have mentioned exactly how many hive ships they have but I assume it is in the hundreds or maybe thousands but not 10's of thousands or more.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
I also think it was mentioned last season that all the wraith have awakened and one of the reasons they are desperate to get the location of earth is that many of them are starving.

They mentioned just in this episode that they believe there are about 60-some odd hive ships plus associated cruisers and darts in this galaxy. This would help explain why the writers chose to have the wraith 'adapt' before the Daedelus wiped out too many more ships. I mean, if they had torched all 12 of that 2nd wave, 25% of the entire wraith fleet would have been gone in an instant.... all from a single earth ship with a few Asgard accessories. That's why I am having a hard time with the "Ancients were overwhelmed" story at the moment.

RG

James:

Auditioning
Yea I also enjoyed the first stargate atlantis episode. The asgards can't defeat the wraith because their numbers are not high enough, anyway the people would need the crystals to travel back to earth.

Also the wraith are the same ones who beat the ancients, so I don't think the asgard's weapons can really help anyway.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The asgard ships are capable of intergalaxy travel anyway. Jack visited one of their planets in another galaxy. The replicators were in another galaxy ...

hmmm so how did they originate in this galaxy and then only be a problem in another galaxy?

Regards

Rick Guynn

Second Unit

Did you not just watch the same season opener? An earth ship with just a couple of Asgard gadgets was kicking their butts until a plot contrivance was tossed in. With that as an example, I would say it's pretty fair to assess that a battle group of Asgard ships would wipe the wraith out. As the Ancients were at least as advanced as the Asgard, and from what we have seen in several episodes of SG-1 it would appear more so, if the Ancients had even a half-dozen ships of a cruiser-type nature, they should have been fine.

RG

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey

Wait a minute. The Daedalus got its butt kicked by the hive ships when they could no longer use the beaming technology. There is no indication that the Ancients had beaming technology. With a straight out ship to ship fight, the Wraith seem to have the advantage with their vast numbers of darts and fighters. The other is the Wraith may be better at tactical battle plans.

If superior technology is all that is required then the whole premise of Earth "defeating" the Goauld with minimal help is ludicrous. Of course it really is ludicrous but it would have been a short and not very entertaining series otherwise.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit

The 'transport' system in Atlantis (the very one that Ford used to escape from Shepherd) is a teleport device. The ancients had the technology.

Given that the ancients obviously had the weapons technology (last season's defense satellite episode as well as the end of SG-1 season 7) and the shield technology, and they could manufacture ZPM's, I have a really hard time believing the story behind the Ancients' loss to the wraith. I find it more plausible that they simply didn't feel like fighting when they could either ascend or go hang out on earth. But that's not the story that has been told.

Oh, and woth regards to the Goauld defeat, you have to remember that after Apophis' first attack and until Anubis' staged his assault, the planet was an Asgard protectorate. And almsot all of the other significant battles used the Goauld's tech against them.

RG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks