What's new

Starfox Adventures or Mario Sunshine? (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Hi, guys

I just got a Gamecube as well as Eternal Darkness, and I LOVE it! Now, I'm just feeling the need for something a little lighter and happier. I'm thinking about either Starfox Adventures or Mario Sunshine. Which one do you all think is the better game? I'm leaning towards Starfox because there seems to be a little more variety in things to do, but if this isn't so, please correct me. Please just steer me towards the better game, because it'll be little while before I can afford another one after this. Eventually I'll have both, but I want the best now. Thanks for any guidance! Later!

Rob

BorisM

Stunt Coordinator
I did not buy Mario but did get Starfox. I am not a fan of the game at all. It seems to have been developed for 3-6 year age group. The game is pretty much a joke to play. This is actually what I thought Mario would be. But now, I would probably swap and try out Mario instead.

Just one view...

GaryP

Second Unit
Robert,
As an owner of both, I would give the advantage to the Mario title. As frustrating as Sunshine is, I just couldn't put it down until I was finished. I was completely amped up for Starforx to come out, probably more than most, but, when it finally did, I found it wasn't interesting enough to tear me away from SOCOM. It has some nice things going for it too, but with the wealth of good games on the horizon, and SOCOM still garnering 95% of my current gaming time, I doubt I'll be revisiting this title (Starfox) anytime soon.

Gary

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,

I currently have both. They are both great games, but Mario is a little childish. And I also found it a little short. Starfox is pretty cool, some good puzzle solving. Either choice will brighten the mood after Eternal Darkness.

My recomendation, Rent Mario, buy Starfox.

Just my 2 pesos.

KC

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
If you want variety go for Mario. You will find more variety in the gameplay department in that title than you will Starfox. However I want to say that I enjoyed sections of Starfox quite a bit more than Mario. Both games are very good and worthy purchases. For variety of gameplay though and a lighter tone, go for Mario (or get both:)).

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I bought Star Fox and decided to take it back within a few days. I still haven't been able to put my finger on what I didn't like about it... but I had a hard time justifying the $50 price tag.

I enjoyed Mario quite a bit, even when I was playing the "retro" levels that nearly frustrated me to the point of throwing my controller. I didn't really think that the game was all that short though. Maybe that's just me.

I'd be more inclined to pick up Mario at this point.

Glen

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
Try renting both first.
I rented Star Fox and didn't even have the urge to finish it (which I usually do). The interface is similar to Zelda but the the game is nowhere near as good. I enjoyed it for a while and think it is definitely worth renting. The graphics are amazing but the rest of the game is so so. The fact that the battle system is REALLY weak(just keep mashing the A button), the story uninteresting, and the game is very linear IMO, ruined it for me. Like the previous poster said it seems like it was set up for a young kid, I felt like I was just going through the motions.

I bought Mario w/o playing it and while it didn't capture my attention like Mario 64 did, I think its a pretty solid title. I had no trouble putting it aside for awhile. In fact I don't even think I half way through the game yet but here I sit on the computer while Mario sits upstairs. Although I'm sure I'll get back to it eventually.

For comparisons sake I loved Eternal Darkness and sat in front of my TV until I beat it with all 3 different gods. The replay value after that is pretty weak though huh?

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i have both.

both mario sunshine and starfox dont really have something new in them, but, frankly, mario sunshine has something that is more unique on each level, while starfox...i havent seen anything in it that is really new. i am 60 percent into the game, and so far, there is no intensity at all. the game progresses really slow, and interesting battles and sequences are far in between. if you want more variety in gameplay,mario sunshine wins.

if you like to collect things...go with starfox. mario sunshine WANTS you to collect blue coins, yellow coins, red coins...and thats it. in starfox...you become a collector. really. you need to collect something to do a specific task. starfox's gameplay is also contrived. meaning that you can only do something on a specific point. you wont have to do something crazy to figure out how to solve a puzzle ( compare it to the 3D mario games ), but you do have to run from a to b, b to c, and backtracking to a.

overall i think mario is still the better one, even though the camera sucks big god damn time. all the trouble i have got in the game was caused solely by the freaking camera.

have you paid a visit to gamerankings? mario is 92 percent, starfox is around 80.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I just got a Gamecube as well as Eternal Darkness, and I LOVE it! Now, I'm just feeling the need for something a little lighter and happier.
It's funny you should say that. After I finished with Eternal Darkness, I thought to myself, "Self, we need to play a happier game next." Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed ED as much as anyone (I even went through it three times for the uber-ending), but the dreary mood of that game does weigh you down eventually.
Anyway, I shall cast another for Mario. I've played through both Star Fox Adventures and Super Mario Sunshine and I can tell you that the latter is far more fun and challenging. Yes, you may break your controller in two trying to pass some of those "secret" worlds, but this game will suck you in far more than Star Fox will because of that challenge. As much as I liked Star Fox, felix is completely right. The game doesn't offer much in the way of challenge and your only task throughout the entire game is to collect objects of all shapes and sizes. It may look and feel like a Zelda game, but it ain't no Zelda--not even close.

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Thanks for all the response, guys! One more question: In Starfox, do you build up your character as you do in Zelda? Do you learn new magic and such? How is this system? Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Rob

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Sunshine is the first game I've been this desperate to get home to play since Super Monkey Ball, so I'd definitely say to go for that one. I've not tried Starfox yet, but Mario is simply wonderful, even if its hair-pullingly hard at times.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
In Starfox, do you build up your character as you do in Zelda? Do you learn new magic and such? How is this system?
Yes, it's very much like Zelda. In Starfox, you find these underground chambers (your staff goes rumble-crazy around them, so don't worry about missing them) and the lightning gizmo inside teaches the staff new tricks. Eventually the staff is able to fire blasts, emit cooling ice mist, start ground quakes, open portals, disguise you as a SharpClaw, and rocket boost you up onto high platforms. Since the game keeps the upgrades from you until you need them, it keeps you on the story track (which is a little different from Zelda, where some upgrades could be gotten before they were needed).

Overall, I'd recommend Starfox over Mario. Starfox plays like a sprawling animated adventure with a pretty coherent story and the gaming used to service the plot (i.e. solving puzzles, crossing terrain, kicking butt in order to advance the story) The graphics are some of the best, if not *the* best, I have seen on the Gamecube. Super Mario Sunshine is more focused on play and less on plot. It has really lovely graphics that really mesh well with the graphic design. SMS is the first GCN title that made me want to throw my controller through the TV screen, though. It really depends on what you want out of a game in the end.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
SMS is the first GCN title that made me want to throw my controller through the TV screen, though
You say this like its a bad thing. There are two games on the Cube that have given me that urge, this and Monkeyball. They are my two favorite games for the machine - you've got to struggle a bit to get any sense of achievement, surely?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks