Starfighter for Xbox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Picked this one up with my Xbox last night, and I have to say that it's quite incredible. For the curious, it's better than Rogue leader, since you actually get to do things like select your targets and have actual control over rolling your ship etc. Targetting computer is also MUCH better in starfighter.

Only tried the first couple of missions so far, but I like what I've seen so far. Not as deep as X-Wing, but better than rogue leader...

2. JustinT

JustinT Stunt Coordinator

I've very interested in this game. I'll probably rent it first though. Have you tried the multiplayer yet?

3. Marvin Richardson

Marvin Richardson Supporting Actor

Well, Starfighter for the XBox is in my opinion nowhere near the quality of Rogue Leader. I've got the Cube and my friend has the XBox. Last night we got together over at his house and played some Rogue Leader and some Starfighter. I had the PS2 version of Starfighter, and was never all that enthralled by it. Partly because it has an immediate handicap being based on Episode I instead of the original series and partly due to framerate issues (which are corrected in the XBox version). Starfighter "Special" Edition is anything but special. There are only slight graphical improvements to the PS2 version. The XBox is capable of MUCH MUCH more than this (actually, so is the PS2.) The missions aren't all that exciting, either. Rogue Leader lets you issue basic orders to your wingman, and does a fair job at it, too. The land-based missions in Starfighter have a much lower ceiling than the ones in Rogue Leader. And the scale of the space battles in Rogue Leader are far and away larger than Starfighter. It seems to me that the XBox would have been better served if a NEW game had been designed to take advantage of the hardware, because although graphics don't make a game, there's simply no excuse to do a quick and dirty port with VERY few extras and limited increase in graphics. There's no reason that a Gamecube game should look so much better than an XBox game. I'm not talking about resolution here, but the amount of detail. All the Naboo Starfighters look the same in Starfighter. The X-Wings in Rogue Leader, however, have many variations in blast marks, etc.

I'll agree with you on one thing, though. X-Wing, TIE-Figter, X-Wing vs. TIE-Fighter and X-Wing Alliance were all better than either of these, not because of graphics, but because of gameplay.

4. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Well, I thought that the whole targeting system in Rogue leader was terrible-there were missions where I had no idea where I was heading. I do agree that a new game would have been better, but I'll take a port over nothing. Hopefully there's something new in the works.

I guess the point is-the prefect game would have been to take and make Rogue Leader with the starfighter control scheme and multiplayer modes. I do have to admit, that the scale for the space battles in RL (especially the battle of Endor) was phenomenal!

Actually, in a semi-on topic note-is there any word on another game in the X-Wing series?

5. Marvin Richardson

Marvin Richardson Supporting Actor

I guess I did have a hard time at first, until I started using the radar and the targeting computer. The radar was kind of confusing initially, because its 3-d, but the red cone that points where to go helped alot, and once I figured out that a red dot with a line extending downwards meant it was above me, and a red dot with a line extending upwards meant it was below me, I had a much easier time. The targeting computer, which you HAVE to use for some of the missions (at least I did) because otherwise you just can't see the TIEs (especially in the "Ison Corridor Ambush" level when you fly into the nebula.) And the scale of the battles is incredible. I remember the first time I played the "Rendezvous with the Razor" level, and the TIEs and the Star Destroyer shooting at you is very intense.

Unfortunately, I've not heard about a new X-Wing game. The Totally Games (the developer's) website has been updated with anything new about Star Wars games since last year. There is word on that site that they are developing "action" games for the XBox, but I wonder if they still have the Star Wars license, since Star Trek games are featured on the page.