StarChoice receiver gone bad

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Smith, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Don Smith

Don Smith Extra

I've only had my Star Choice system for a little over a year and my Navigo 301 receiver has died. To make matters worse, the warranty was only for one year on the receiver. [​IMG]
    To me it seems like there is a problem with the connection to the dish because everything works, but my signal strength reads 5. I also had my father-in-law come over tonight with his Star Choice receiver to hook up to my satellite and we are getting a signal reading of 99.
    Looks like I'm gonna have to get a new receiver. Maybe this can be a good excuse to upgrade to the 405 instead of the 305 [​IMG] .
    Has anyone else had similar problems with their satellite receiver?

2. BobV

BobV Second Unit

The receiver may in fact be bad, a reading of 5 is somewhat 'code'. If the receiver is reading anything from 0-8 it usually means that the LNBF (dish feedhorn) is not receiving enough voltage to power and switch. Now, this usually occurs when a cable has gone bad, detrioated. etc or an end on the cable has been damaged, possibly from moisture, etc, or maybe even possibly the LNBF is beginning to fail. BUT that you plugged another receiver in and everything was fine means that, more than likely, the cable and dish infrastructure is ok... you may in fact have a bad receiver. BUT (again [​IMG] ), you may have also had a change in the "Network Data Status" on your receiver for some reason. If this is the case, you will notice that you actually get a signal on some channels (actually, half of them). You can see this number by going to the System Status screen (Options/6/4) and scrolling down the list (on most receivers, line K). That number has to 'match' your dish style, LNBF, and location, for instance, here in BC, if you have a quad feed elliptical dish the last two digits of that line should read '80', if you have a single dish/single feed, they should read '57', etc. Being in the east, you numbers will be slightly different. If you wish, you could post those numbers, along with your dish style, and I could tell you it should be. If the numbers don't match your setup, it's one simple call to get it changed back. But if all of the above is correct and in working order, you most likely have a failed receiver... what do you do?? First thing, do not tell Star Choice yet. The second thing (if you have a failed receiver) to do is go and purchase a new receiver (whichever model you wish) and activate it under your account. Now that you have TWO receivers, you now have a Lifetime Warranty on both of your receivers. Yes, that's correct, own more than one receiver, get a lifetime warranty on all of them, no matter when they were purchased. Now call Star Choice and tell them about your problems and that you have a failed receiver. They will ship a replacement one out to you directly. Take the failed receiver, put it in the replacement receivers box, and ship it back. You're done. Easy as pie, an now you have two receivers.
    PS. Right now is the perfect time to buy too because they have just come on sale starting Nov. 1... great pricing.

3. Don Smith

Don Smith Extra

Thanks for the advice Bob.[​IMG]
    It was too late for me to purchase another receiver and claim lifetime warranty on both of them though because I had already spoken to StarChoice about my bad receiver.
    Last night I purchased a new 405 system with the dish for $139.99 at Radio Shack. The 305 system was the same price so naturally I went for the 405 system. The price for just the 305 receiver alone was $149.99 and just the 405 receiver was $249.99. It's funny because it is cheaper to buy a whole new system with a receiver than it is for just the receiver alone.
    Anyway, I hooked it up last night and I my satellite is up and running again. [​IMG]
    Just a quick side note; StarChoice implemented their new phone system yesterday so instead of waiting on hold for 30 to 45 minutes, I was not put on hold at all when activating my new receiver.[​IMG]