Starchaser: The Legend of Orin - 6/21/05

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chuck Stephens, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Chuck Stephens

Chuck Stephens Stunt Coordinator

According to dvdtoons.com this is finally getting a release. I know that i've been waiting a while for this one.

More details here.

2. Chris Stainton

Chris Stainton Second Unit

Oh my God!!! This just made my day. Excellent!!!

With this and Rock & Rule also being released, I will be in animation heaven.

3. Chuck Stephens

Wow Chris i'm impressed, I think this post had been up maybe 5 minutes when you posted. I didn't know that anybody else had any interest in this film but me. Cool [​IMG] I'm really glad that this is getting a widescreen release since the OAR is 2.35:1. This could have been a major travesty if it was released pan and scan like all the other previous releases.

4. Chris Stainton

I couldn't believe I read it correctly at first. This is the one film that I questioned would ever be released and has long been one of my most wanted movies. It is such an unknown movie. I had a VHS copy that I taped off HBO way back in the mid 80's. It died years ago. I am just so excited about this.

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

But will it be in 3-D??

6. Chuck Stephens

Unfortunately I don't think that it will. A few months back I read on avsforum that it aired on showtime in High Def and the thread over there was asking the same question about an eventual dvd release.

7. Chris Stainton

There were copies for sale on eBay that were widescreen and were supposedly in 3-D. I came close to ordering one on many occasions but held off. I am glad I waited.

8. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

The only legit 3-D home video release to date was the old Japanese VHD 3-D videodiscs (field sequential) which are long OOP.

They really should include a field sequential 3-D version on the DVD along with the inevitable modified flat version. At least the widescreen version will be out there in any case.

I was pretty impressed with the stereoscopics in this one when I saw it on the big screen. I've got the VHD disc, and the 3-D still works pretty well at home.

I've never seen the film flat, and I think that the film would really suffer that way as 3-D is really all it has going for it; it's just a cartoon Star Wars knock off after all and the novelty of seeing a feature length 3-D cartoon was really the only attribute.

9. Chris Stainton

Yeah, but it's a fun knock off.

10. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille

I have this title and many others in field sequential 3-D and I can't see watching any of them unless they are in 3-D. People who buy flat versions of films from the 1980's 3-D boom - Jaws 3-D, Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn, Spacehunter: Adv. in the Forbidden Zone, Starchaser: The Legend of Orin, Treasure of the 4 Crowns and Andy Warhols Frankenstein on DVD don't know what they are missing if they have'nt seen these films in 3-D. OK, Frankenstein was from the 1970's but it still has nothing to offer (except nudity and graphic violence) than cool 3-D effects.

11. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

Jim Barg
    I do remember seeing the trailer for this a bunch of times back in 1985 (since I was 6, family stuff was all that I saw at the theatre) but I was never able to convince my folks to take me and my siblings.

I'd be more willing to take a chance on this if it was in 3-D and I had nostalgic memories of a screening way back when. For those who do, have fun.

Also, I swear I'd read an article somewhere that this has already been released full frame last year. I'm sure my mind's playing tricks on me...

12. Jeff Kuykendall

Jeff Kuykendall Stunt Coordinator

One of my favorite animated movies when I was a kid...if only because it had swearing and violence! Kind of a PG Heavy Metal.
    I'm very excited about this coming out, but no, I don't know of anyone personally who has heard of this film.
    From my memory, it works just fine "flat." I envy those of you who saw it in a theater, though.

13. Chris Stainton

I've only seen it "flat" and still enjoy it very much. If it does have 3-D glasses, that is cool but I will be glad to just have a nice widescreen version.

14. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

As far as the 3-D goes, I remember seeing it in theatre and being completely underwhelmed. Terrible 3-D.

I haven't seen it since I saw it theatrically, but am I alone in thinking it was just an awful film to begin with?

I remember I think it was the New Yorker review saying "It is so close to STAR WARS, I am surprised lawyers weren't involved"

15. Steve Phillips

That's unusual, since the general consensus was that the stereoscopic aspect itself was quite good. (It still is on the 3-D videodisc on my shelf.)

However, since projection of polarized 3-D movies is so complicated, it isn't hard to imagine your local theatre mucked it up....these films tended to look good in one venue and awful in another. Even under the best of circumstances, the single strip over/under process reduces resolution and brightness, so if everything isn't done correctly, it isn't pretty. Luckily, my local theatre seemed to have some people in the booth that knew what they were doing...

Bottom line is that most people have never seen good 3-D....and the 80's films aren't exactly the best examples. Keep in mind that what you saw on the screen might not be what was shot, kind of like seeing a bad color print.

Anyway, I'm glad the DVD will be widescreen anyway, but I think I'll stick with my 3-D version....

16. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

The projection was fine. What I meant was, it barely used the 3-D. Only once, I think it was a character using a whip, did anything come out of the screen.

It used depth of picture, but that just made it look like a pop up book. Nothing special.

I remember coming out of the theatre and talking to people who, like us, had just been to Disney World recently and talking about how awful it was compared to the 3-D films there.

17. Steve Phillips

True, it wasn't overly gimmicky like most of the 80s 3-D films were. To me, that didn't make it "terrible" but better. Those theme park films you refer to are mostly pretty repetitive, and you can't really compare a 10 minute attraction to a 90 minute feature film anyway.

Funny....if they use a lot of gimmicks, people complain that there is no story and nothing but gimmicks. If they don't use gimmicks, people complain there aren't enough!

I've seen over three dozen of the 1950's 3-D films on the big screen in recent years, and for the most part the films used the process to enchance, not just to point objects at the camera like the later ones did. Sure, there are still some rowdy westerns with flying objects, but the films from that period didn't use the gimmicks as a crutch like something like COMIN'AT YA! did.

I liked the fact that STARCHASER (and SPACEHUNTER) and more recently THE POLAR EXPRESS harken back to the more refined era. James Cameron's BATTLE ANGEL will likely be the same...and I'm glad..

It's ironic though, since STARCHASER isn't that gimmicky, it will likely suffer less when stripped of the process than most of the other stereoscopic cinema of the era, which is a good thing for buyers of the DVD.

18. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

I personally thought the 'depth of picture' that Jon points out was a plus for the feature instead of being a detriment. And as Steve mentions, by -not- treating 3-D as a gimmick, stereoscopics goes further to enhances this quirky animated feature vs taking away. The 1953 Fox 3-D film "Inferno", is another great example, which deals with a fellow stranded in the middle of a dessert. By today's thinking it would hardly be a choice for 3-D, but the stereoscopic technology enhances the solitude and thus added to the feature vs being a gimmick. When used correctly, 3-D can be just like color, widescreen, or stereo audio.

The 3-D VHDs and older releases from 3DTV Corp gives one a nice glimpse at a 3-D video technology that actually works (field-sequential) but the late 1980's film to video transfers are somewhat dated by today's standards. I've seen private demos of some of these features using today's transfer technology, and they are a huge step forward in quality. We can only hope a major studio gives field-sequential technology another shot, while still offering a 2-D version for those who prefer otherwise.

19. stephen la

stephen la Stunt Coordinator

I saw this in the theater when I was 9 but I dont remember much.. I remember lasers and a bad blue guy..

I dont know the details of polarized 3d.. but can we mimic the effect with multiple front projectors playing the same movie at home?