What's new

Star Wars Xbox games (1 Viewer)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Hi,

I just got myself an Xbox (pretty late into the game, I know), just finished Halo in hard mode and have started Splinter Cell. I have some idea of the games I know I want to play, but I would appreciate information about the Star Wars games for this platform. I've always wanted to be a Jedi Knight with a light sabre, and I played one of the PC SW games and it was OK. I've also played the pod racing game, I think on my DC.

My question is, could someone briefly tell me what the SW games for the Xbox are, what genres they fall into, and whether, in your opinion, they're good (i.e., buy-worthy) examples of that genre? I guess I could probably get this information if I did my own research, but I thought I'd take the easy way out :)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Well there is:

Starfighter - space shooter, worth the $20
Jedi Starfighter - space shooter, also worth $20
Obi Wan - 3rd person action, worth $-50
Jedi Knight 2 - FPS and 3rd person action, first levels worth $0, later levels worth $40

Soon:

Clone Wars - vehicular stragedy combat, with good Xbox Live support could be worth the $50.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Obi Wan - 3rd person action, worth $-50
Is that a negative 50?

A space shooter sounds interesting... some of the most fun I had in Halo was getting into Banshee dogfights in between blowing up the pulse power generator thingies :)

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
The two I have are Star Wars: Obi-Wan and Star Wars: Jedi Starfigher. I can't recommend buying either one since they are boring after a few hours.

Obi-Wan is a third person action game where you pretty much just walk around and get your ass kicked because both the control and camera work are lacking. Also the graphics look like the PS1 could run it, they're just plain awful. One thing nice I will say about the control though is that you swing your lightsaber with the right analog stick, which is pretty cool.

I went into Jedi Starfigher thinking I was going to be treated to another Rouge Leader on the GameCube. I was wrong. This game's main drawback is it's lack of being fun to play. I haven't played it for a while now, but I remember the objectives on some missions being hard to find. By that I mean say you have to destroy a target, but you have no clue what it looks like. Sometimes you end up just flying around shooting stuff hoping you'll hit what your supposed to. Now, not all the missions are like that, but I remember there being a few. While not the best looking Star Wars game, the graphics aren't too bad, but they're nowhere near Rouge Leader quality.

Those are the only two I've played on Xbox and in my opinion they're rentals at best. I have Jedi Outcast on PC so there was no need to get it on Xbox, but I've heard it's pretty good.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'll definitely rent before I buy, I have a good game rental store between work and home.

James T

Screenwriter
I was considering buying Obi-Wan since it's only $20 at EB now. But almost all reviews turned up negative but on Gamespot, the reader's reviews gave it a 7.6 out of 10.

Also, coming soon in the near future... Galaxies and Knights of the Old Republic

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I agree with Kelley about JK2. Once you get the lightsaber, the fun starts. For me, it REALLY got fun starting with the Bespin levels. There's nothing like walking into a room full of stormtroopers, lifting them all off the ground with Force Grip, and banging them against the walls.

Obi-Wan is terrible.

KOTOR looks very promising, indeed...

BrianS

Stunt Coordinator
I got Obi-wan in a trade and I did not think it is as bad as everyone made it out to be. I did not have high expectations though. It does get a little dull but the force powers are fun to mess with. Lots of light-saber action and the usual star wars sound effects. It does contain some pretty bad voice-over work.

I got the cheats and just ran thru it playing the levels I wanted to after I got bored with it. I thought it was worth a rental or $10 to $15 if you are a Star Wars fan.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Shame on you guys for not plugging KOTOR here! Knights of the Old Republic is coming out in early May and is Bioware's stab at a Star Wars RPG. Bioware was the company that made Balder's Gate, Icewind Dale, Torment, etc. so they are excellent RPG makers. In KOTOR you get to build a Jedi from the ground up, choosing what kind and color of light saber he/she weilds, the force powers to focus on, what kind of weapons to use (dual lightsabers ala Darth Maul or double single sabers as seen in Ep.2 movie), and all kinds of stuff. You can also recruit other Jedis, droids, bounty hunters, wookies, whatever to travel with you in the game.

It looks hot, hot, HOT! And only for Xbox so far...

Kami

Screenwriter
KOTR is one of those games that will suck up every ounce of free time you have. This is Bioware, folks.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Brian - I'm not sure, it probably is. I just meant there are no PS2 or GC plans right now.

Kami - Amen.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was coming out for the PC too?
Yes, your right Brian. Supposedly shortly after that Xbox version but word around the water tank is the PC version may be delayed to the second half of the year to possibly 4th quarter. Nothing official as of yet.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
June sounds about right. The March date for KOTOR was wishful thinking really as Bioware is pretty consistent with releasing thier products during the Summer (Baldurs Gate 2 Throne of Bhaal and Neverwinter Nights) or into the Fall/Winter period (Baldurs Gate II Shadows of Amn-September, Baldus Gate-November). In fact the earliest release I can remember from them was the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion for the original Baldurs Gate which was released in mid April if memory serves.

Looking at thier less high profile games MDK2 for the PC was also released in June. Not too mention the expansion for Neverwinter Nights is due for a 5/27 release. (Detecting a pattern yet;)) If anything the news above is a good indication that KOTOR will in fact make its June date for the Xbox. However the news above pretty much seals the PC version being moved to the latter half of the year. Hopefully we'll see a late August to early September release. Either way I can't wait. As Kami mentioned "This is Bioware people!"

Bioware was the company that made Balder's Gate, Icewind Dale, Torment
Joe, Bioware only made the Baldurs Gate series. Interplays own Black Isles Studios developed Icewind Dale I and II and Planescape Torment (Most of the members of BI are now working at Reflexive Studios which is currently in development of Lionheart for the PC). They of course used Bioware's Infinity Engine and both companies collaborated fairly heavily on the creation of both games but it was in fact Black Isle that dev'd both of the games you mentioned. Just giving proper credit where its due.;)

Leroy

Second Unit
So far, IMO, only Jedi Knight 2 would be worth a purchase. The beginning is a bit boring, but once you get your lightsaber and start aquiring more advanced force powers it gets rolling. Plus, the multiplayer is a blast (no-system Link:frowning: ). It has a lot more customizable options than UC(which I returned to get JK2), up to 15 bots and, well it's just plain fun to run around force choking and then chopping your buddies in half! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks