What's new

Star Wars: Visions (2021) - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Anime and the Star Wars galaxy are (finally!) coming together. Star Wars: Visions, a new anthology of animated shorts celebrating Star Wars through the lens of some of the world’s best anime creators, is coming to Disney+.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I remember they made some short stories with 2D hand drawn animation maybe it was clone wars. I remember loving them much more than their 3D work. What was the name of those shorts and are they available?

Update:

dg12mlvcxl611.jpg

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Thanks. never noticed them. I will watch them again. Had no idea there is a Star Wars Vintage section.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I remember they made some short stories with 2D hand drawn animation maybe it was clone wars. I remember loving them much more than their 3D work. What was the name of those shorts and are they available?

Update:

dg12mlvcxl611.jpg

Taken together, these 3-to-5 minute episodes equal about 2 hours, and take you up to the second that Revenge of the Sith begins. It's a very worthy addition to a viewing of the saga between Episodes II and III. When the kids and I did our "12 days of Star Wars" in advance of Episode IX, this was one of the days. (Now, I'd make it the 14 days of Star Wars, including the 11 released films, the 2008 Clone Wars theatrical movie, the Clone Wars micro-series, and the last four episodes of Clone Wars, which is a 100-minute movie that shows the other side of events in Revenge of the Sith.)

Good to know Visions is coming in September. I hadn't known the release date before.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
They have the trailer and the voice cast list (which will be in both Japanese and English) up on starwars.com. Again, I'm not an anime fan but this looks interesting because the style must be liberating since it's different* for Star Wars.

* Yes, I'm aware of the Japanese film influences on Star Wars :) but I don't see a particularly heavy anime influence on the movies.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Has anyone seen this yet? I believe it dropped today. Not sure if it's just the first episode or the whole 10. (I know Disney doesn't usually do whole-season drops, but there was some confusion about this one.)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It appears that nine episodes, each about fifteen minutes, have been added to D+. I have not had the chance to view it yet.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I just finished them.

A mixed bag. A few really caught me and engaged me, a few I was half tuned out of by the 5m mark.

The most striking for me was actually the opening episode due to the art style of it. Very interesting to look at.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I watched the first two episodes and enjoyed them, especially the first, which I imagine was done out of respect for Lucas. I thought the style was interesting to see. I like that, at least so far, the tone is dramatic but not over the top.
swv.JPG

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched the first two and enjoyed them, but this is not going to be everyone's cup of tea. My kids, who love everything Star Wars, were kinda bored. They want to see characters they know and they want the universe to look like they are used to it.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yo, this freaking rules.

Just really, really fun overall, pure SW vibes. Definitely uneven (to be expected) and if you're not into the Jedi-part of SW, this ain't gonna be for you. But the way each short plays with the totemic visual of the lightsaber, the weird wild imagery you get in shorts like "The Duel" and "The Twins" and even "T0-B1," the way "The Duel" and "Akakiri" riff on Yojimbo and The Hidden Fortress respectively, it really does feel like each studio just had fun going for it. Would honestly be down to watch a continuation of any of these.

Favorites: "The Elder," "The Ninth Jedi", "The Twins," "The Duel"
Least favorites: "T0-B1," "Akakiri" (too short, but dug the ending)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I thought this series was interesting due to the different stylistic choices made. The pacing on most of them was actually fairly laid back. There was action but it wasn't the main focus of a lot of the shorts.

The first one definitely showed the influences from "Lone Wolf and Cub" and "Seven Samurai".
Trigger's "The Twins" took some time to start showing the their stamp in the action sequences. I did kind of miss the wackiness that Trigger tends to do in their own stuff. Both of their contributions were quite toned down from their usual wacked out storytelling.

I thought most of them were decent with the Bride one being a favorite. I think the one O like least was the one with the band..

I thought T0-B1 was okay, but mostly due to it being an homage to Osamu Tezuka's style and storytelling themes.

I watched them with the English tracks. I'll have to rewatch them with the original Japanese tracks and subtitles.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1x04 The Village Bride

Absolutely amazing episode. The best episode yet. Brought tears to my eyes. It had 2 strong visual moments that I loved.

Spoiler. The Battle Droids dropping down and the look on the warlord combined with the music gave a very sinister feeling. Never thought it's possible to fear the Battle Droids. Later they were back to their comedic routine which was unfortunate.

The Jedi strike was absolutely amazing. You just hear the swoosh of the saber and never see any movements, not even a blurry thing or a ghost movement. Later the warlord realizes what has happened. I want to see that in a movie. The Jedi strike without you seeing anything.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1x05 The Ninth Jedi

Another great episode with original and very interesting story. The second episode I truly enjoyed. The less you know the better it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks