What's new

Star Wars Trilogy on laserdisc question (not covered in other threads) (1 Viewer)

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
I like to know if there is any difference in the THX "Faces" discs that were sold as a box set and as individuals?

Also were these actually sold as individuals or are people just breaking them up to get more money for each disc?

Please don't just send me a link to the SW video timeline I can't get it to load. Does anyone know if the link changed?

-EJ

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
The "Faces" versions were sold individually - never as a box set. They are the essentially the same transfer as the Defintive Collection, but are CLV instead of CAV.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
AFAIK there was a "Faces" Boxset in 1995. I've read about it in various threads, seen it on the Davisdvd timeline and for sale on eBay.
This thread is the first I've ever heard of such a beast and I've been collecting LD since 1994. I don't think it exists.

The Faces CLV movie only disc were never packed together as a box set. The only box sets ever made were the Definitive Collection CAV box that preceeded the "Faces" movie only release and the so-called "Special Edition" box set.

If there is a "Faces" box it is an import, not a domestic US release.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
First off, the time timeline isn't down, the link was changed to this:
http://www.davisdvd.com/Miscellaneou..._directory.htm
Second, there was a VHS "faces" set, but no LD set, so Alan and Philip are correct.
Then all the guys looking for it at this thread are going to be sorely disappointed!
I think they are defining a "set" as a "trio of films" and not as a "boxset". I myself say that I own the "faces set", but in reality I bought each film individually.
To recap:
Faces THX SW Trilogy sold as a boxset:
VHS=Yes
LD=No

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Not really. People saying "set" or "trilogy" aren't necessarily saying "packed together in a special box set."
Exactly. I distinctly remember the "faces" discs being sold as a set. That doesn't mean they came in a box.

M.

CraigL

Screenwriter
But...they weren't sold as a set. You could buy each of them separately at the same time...but that does not a set make...as Yoda might say.

*sigh*

They were only available separately...never as a boxed set...never bundled...never tied...or any other way you look at it.

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
They were only available separately...never as a boxed set...never bundled...never tied...or any other way you look at it.
Ok so that answers my initial question. There isn't a Faces "box set". I guess after reading about them refered to as a "set" I assumed it was sold together as a boxset like the VHS boxset from the same year (which I own). My bad.

-EJ

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
But...they weren't sold as a set.
When someone offers each one for, say, $30, or all three for, say, $75, I call that selling them "as a set". It's just semantics, and it's not terribly important, given the fact that there was only one version of each disc. Hardly worth the "*sigh*".

M.

PeteD

Stunt Coordinator
If I'm not mistaken, in addition to CAV/CLV difference I believe the Definitive box set also had commentary by Lucas over a number of chapters on the analog tracks.

P

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
If I'm not mistaken, in addition to CAV/CLV difference I believe the Definitive box set also had commentary by Lucas over a number of chapters on the analog tracks.
Yes. There were also a number of other extra features, including interviews, trailers, and a hardbound book on George Lucas.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks