What's new

Star Wars Trilogy in 6.1 (laserdisc) OH YEAH! (1 Viewer)

Gruson

Second Unit
First off, I am one of those fans that did not like the special editions. I have always just owned the original version of the trilogy on laserdisc (THX remasters and The Definitive Collection). Both of these as you know are not in 5.1.
Well, I decided to buy the special edition for the better picture and sound quality.
I HAVE A NEW REFERENCE DISC!!!!!!!!
The Speeder bike chase is one of the best sounding 6.1 demo scenes out there (or 7.1 if you have it set up like me). There are so many directional effects and great use of the EX channel. Plenty of bass too on the explosions.
Simply amazing! Why did I wait so long to get the trilogy in 6.1!!?!?!? Well, I have it now.
I still cannot bare to watch certain scenes from the SEs but the 6.1 sound is incredible for the most part.
If you have a LD player, you need to buy the SE set, even if you prefer the originals. It is worth the $70-$100 just to hear that speeder bike chase happen all around you.
The space battles are pretty nice too as you can imagine
wink.gif

I cannot wait for these to be released with anamorphic picture. Too bad that will be YEARS away.
-JW
------------------
Equipment:
Mitsubishi 65907 65" HDTV ISFd Steve Martin
Yamaha RX-V1000 6.1
Paradigm PW2200
Paradigm Studio CC
Paradigm Studio 40s
CV LS-15s
CV LS-8s
Toshiba 6200 Progressive
Pioneer CLD704 LD
Aura Bass Shakers
1080i DirecTV

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Uh, I am a little confused, it sounds like you are talking about Star Wars Episode 1 in 6.1, the SE's are in 5.1 and YES they do sound good, but again they are in 5.1?
confused.gif

Have you heard the Star Wars Episode 1 pod race scene? If not, your are missing better sound than the SE's, IMHO Amazing
spot_cool.gif

------------------
Regards,
Todd

My HT

[Edited last by Todd Barattini on September 01, 2001 at 11:25 PM]

M

MaxY

Todd,
Actually I think he is talking about the Japanese release of the SW trilogy about a year ago in DD EX.
I had the chance to pick them up about a year ago and chose not too. They were all remastered to DD EX.
That are he got the US 5.1 version and is just forcing the EX channel.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!
[Edited last by MaxY on September 02, 2001 at 12:02 AM]

Gruson

Second Unit
Sorry about the confusion.
The SW LD SE trilogy uses a matrixed EX channel (they are 5.1 but my Yamaha receiver makes the EX channel from it). They are the U.S. release.
I was just really surprised that they sounded so good and I did not get them earlier.
The Ep. 1 LD import (which I also have) is true DD EX (6.1) and as we all know, sounds incredible. The pod race scene and lightsaber duel...WOW!
wink.gif

I know a lot of people were hesitant on buying the special editions and I just wanted to let them know they are worth the money.
Now, I have question. I thought the Trilogy LDs released in Japan about a year ago were 5.1, like the U.S. versions.
MaxY, are you sure they were released in EX in Japan?
Has anyone compared them to the U.S. release?
Just wondering.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Still not 6.1, though. For the most part that only is designated to DTS-ES Discrete.
Just being picky. :)
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

YANG

Screenwriter
STARWARS TRILOGY in DDEX?I am confused.The last DD release of the STARWARS TRILOGY was the boxset.
Are you referring to any other foreign country release...from JAPAN?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
quote: The SW LD SE trilogy uses a matrixed EX channel (they are 5.1 but my Yamaha receiver makes the EX channel from it). [/quote] You're using the terminology incorrectly, Gruson. Every 5.1 track can be forced through an EX-type decoder for the creation of a rear center channel. So, by your definition, every 5.1 track is an "EX" track. But that isn't how the term is used. The "EX" designation is reserved for those tracks where the mixer has deliberately matrixed a center rear into the left and right rears. All others (including those Star Wars discs) are just 5.1 tracks, which you're manipulating at the playback stage.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on September 02, 2001 at 10:26 AM]

Gruson

Second Unit
I know the U.S. box set is not discrete (it is 5.1).
I am just saying there are a lot of left rear, center rear, and right rear effects to show off your system if you are using a 6.1 or 7.1 setup.
I will drop it now
wink.gif

Jeff Barlow

Auditioning
The Japanese Trilogy box set reissue that I got last year says nothing about being in DD-EX. It's simply the "Special Edition" set repackaged with the Episode 2 preview added in.
[Edited last by Jeff Barlow on September 02, 2001 at 12:24 PM]

Jeff Barlow

Auditioning
Here's a link to a scan I just did of the Obi strip from the box set:
http://63.226.215.150/sw.jpg
Note the reference to "Star Wars Episode II: Behind The Scenes" in the lower right corner.
Unless it's in Japanese, there's nothing here about being in DD-EX.

M

MaxY

I was refering to the Japense Release from Last year or so.
My Buddy had them in his shop and said they were all DD EX. He is someone who usually knows what he is talking about so I believed him. I did not actually see the DD EX symbol on the packages.
Are you guys saying that last years Japanese release is not in DD EX?
Oh well, I guess I was mis-informed though.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

Jeff Barlow

Auditioning
That's exactly what I'm saying.
That rumor was floating around when the discs were released and it's never been proven. I'll go by what the packaging says until someone at Lucasfilm confirms or denies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks