What's new

Star Wars-TMP or Star Trek-TMP anticipation poll (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It occurred to me that Star Wars: The Phantom Menace is coming to DVD next month. And I thought, "oh yeah". What I really am waiting for in anticipation is Star Trek-The Motion Picture. It will be the DVD of the year for me.
Both are Special Editions, both have enhanced effects, both have extras. The Star Wars disc of course will have a greater amount of extras and even some done specially for the DVD like Star Trek. Both will be spectacular, but I think that the Star Trek plot and story will have an edge on Wars, from my point of view. Of course, I¹m a long time Trek fan too.
What do you guys think?
Nelson

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Definitely Star Wars. I haven't seen it since around the second week it came out (saw it opening day and about a week later), so I'm itching to see it again "for the first time," to use a cliche.
I'll also get ST: TMP, but it was never a favorite. I am interested to see this "completed" version, but it's not a priority. Then again, it comes out nearly a month later, right? No conflict for me. I'll probably get it the day it streets or soon thereafter.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'm definitely picking up both. While not my favorite SW flick, I enjoyed The Phantom Menace and the SE looks to be a lot of fun. I'm also very interested in seeing the refurbished ST:TMP.
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain
[Edited last by SteveGon on September 26, 2001 at 12:27 AM]

William Ward

Supporting Actor
[anal retentiveness]Star Trek: The Motion Picture vs. Star Wars: The Motion Picture.....hmmmm..
I think Star Wars would win this one...
wink.gif

There will be a closer call with Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
[/anal retentiveness]
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I am drooling for Episode 1, just anything to give me a taste of Star Wars... that scrolling opening intro and that music (sigh).
orangeman
------------------
Link Removed

Jaime m

Agent
I'll probably get both, but if i had to choose between the two SW:TPM would be my top priority.I'm just more of a Star Wars fan than a trek fan, and while the "Menace" wasn't the best of the SW series it was still entertaining and took me to a universe i get a kick out of.
My favorite Star Trek movie is Wrath of Khan and hopefully they will do an SE of it.As far as The Motion Picture it has been and remains my three least favorite of the ST franchise behind ST5,And ST:insurection. But sense they have put alot of work and time into the SE i will pick it up and give it a chance.
The main problem with the movie is not the story, it's an ok concept(i guess) it's.....just...so....drawn out and ponderous, hopefully they have made some re-edits to tighten the movie up.
LOL :) hey william i just got your post!
SW:TPM not SW:TMP :)
[Edited last by Jaime m on September 26, 2001 at 12:42 AM]
[Edited last by Jaime m on September 26, 2001 at 12:45 AM]

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Opps-I didn't realize there was poll area here. I've not been here a while.
I'm a little surprised at the Wars tilt so far. From all the Lucas bashing early on about no DVD, I was sure that there would be some coolness here towards Star Wars. But then again, how quickly we forget when the DVD news came out! :)
William, you caught my little typo on TPM. Thanks, I was in a hurry.
I still think that Wise's completed vision of the first Trek film should be pretty exciting. But I'll get both DVD's There is not conflict on release dates.
Funny thing, I have the Phantom Menace LD from Japan. It sounded great and I watched it....once! After all that trouble and cost to get it from Japan. But I admit I watched the Pod Race a few more times and the climatic sword fight at the end. The story just was not that involvng to me, or the characters were not that involving to me. Not like Luke, Han and The Princess were in the first Star wars film.
Nelson

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Star Trek I wasn't called 'The Motionless Picture' for nothing, you know. I will probably pick it up as it wasn't that dull and it is a special edition. I'll be grabbing Episode I for sure.
I just realised how you can turn on all the buttons for inclusion of smileys. I thought you guys were just ninjas at it!
blush.gif
biggrin.gif
crazy.gif
laugh.gif
eek.gif
yum.gif
icon14.gif

Theo
------------------
My band is @ http://www.mokita.net

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I'll be getting both (I didn't like SW:TPM, but my six-year-old did), but Star Trek: The Motion Picture is my favorite of the series and one of the dozen or so great science fiction films of all time. My anticipation of it could not be greater...

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I'm a fan of both series, but I've always had a soft spot for the much maligned 'Star Trek The Motion Picture', watched it many times over the past 20 years, more times than I would ever watch The Phantom Menace, it's my favorite of the odd numbered Treks, and Episode I is my least favorite Star Wars.
If I had no choice but to pick just one on dvd than I would have to say bye bye Jar-Jar.
ps. I can't wait till both these dvds are in my collection.
[Edited last by Steve Christou on September 26, 2001 at 08:31 AM]

Patrick Wilmes

Stunt Coordinator
I've never even watched one episode of Star Trek and I haven't seen any of the movies yet(no plans to either)but I LOVE Star Wars and will definately be picking up EP1 when it comes out.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Although I'm not much of a Star Wars fan, I think that TPM was a far better "first" movie.
LL cool B

David Ely

Supporting Actor
I'm looking forward to Star Trek more than Star Wars. I've always enjoyed The Motion Picture. I'm actually a little upset that the original version of this film in not included.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I love both Star Wars and Star Trek but I'm more excited about having The Phantom Menace on DVD. Just to have a Star Wars movie on DVD is absolutely incredible!
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'll probably grab both, but if you put a weapon to my head it better be a phaser, not a lightsaber.
The Phantom Menace, while not as bad as all the Jar-Jar bashers say it is, was definately (IMO) the weakest of the 4 releases so far.
The Motion Picture, while not as good as Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country, or First Contact, is still better than most Star Trek film fare (read: the best of the other 5), and the most majestic of the whole lot. With the improvements supervised by the legendary Robert Wise himself, YOU BET this is a must-have.
TPM ain't gettin' any better, folks, and it's a long wait before the rest come down the pike.
TMP is here to finish the set of 9, is the first of the special editions, and will be the best the movie has ever been. Finished, for a change. Something Mr. Wise can be proud of, for the first time.
It's definately higher on my list that that munchkin with the midi-chlorians.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TwinTowers.jpg

Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks