Star Wars THX LD Pan-Scan?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark E J, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

Does anyone know if the THX remasters of the original cut of the Star Wars trilogy was released in Pan-Scan as well as LBX?
    I ask because I want to buy the original trilogy on LD. I see a lot of used LD's for sale on the net for pretty good prices but they don't always say what the AR is. However if the THX versions were only LBX on LD then I don't have to worry. Thanks for any info anyone can give on this subject.
    [​IMG]

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Any of the THX discs that became available (Definitive Collection boxed set, individual CLV releases and 5.1 Special Editions) were all widescreen only.

3. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

All THX versions of the Star Wars films on LD were widescreen.
    Daniel L

4. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Let me rephrase it in a different way. All the widescreen LDs of Star Wars are THX! [​IMG]

5. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

Thank's for the fast response. By the way, since there are so many diffrent THX versions out there, (I was refering to the last version that came out right before new edits) which would you recomend as far as picture and sound quality? (Note I do not have a 5.1 set up unfortunately so that's not a must for me.)
    [​IMG]

6. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

The SE versions are the cleanest looking, thanks to the extensive restoration, but if you want to see the original film without all that Greedo shooting CGI silliness then either the individual releases or the Definitive Collection will see you right. I can't really tell a difference in their quality, and I've heard those that can argue both sides. The Definitive Collection box is CAV with nice extras, but if you just want to see the films then the individuals are a lot more convenient and are easier to buy.

7. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    quote: Let me rephrase it in a different way. All the widescreen LDs of Star Wars are THX! [​IMG] [/quote]
    I hope that big-grin means you're joking because there is a 1989 set of widescreen editions of the trilogy releasd by Fox that are not THX. It's the set that used Fox's older style jacket artwork with the black and gold "widescreen edition" box in the middle of a grey top band (all black for ROTJ) above the artwork.
    I had that set before getting the Definitive Edition (then promtly tossing the old ones in the trash).
    Only the very earliest (around 1982) LD release is pan and scan, and there were 2 pan and scan versions, one CLV set and one CAV set.
    quote: Thank's for the fast response. By the way, since there are so many diffrent THX versions out there, (I was refering to the last version that came out right before new edits) which would you recomend as far as picture and sound quality? (Note I do not have a 5.1 set up unfortunately so that's not a must for me.)[/quote]
    You only have a choice between the two THX sets for the original edits. The Boxed set (Definitive Edition - all CAV) or the individually available ones (all CLV). Sound wouldn't matter becuase they were only in 2-channel PCM Dolby Surround. Lucasfilm never made a 5.1 home video version for the original trilogy prior to the Special Editions.
    Joel
    [Edited last by Joel Fontenot on October 25, 2001 at 08:47 AM]

8. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

Thanks alot guys, I know exactly what I'm looking for know. BTW is WAS the original edits I was talking about. I have the "Greedo shoot's first" edition on VHS which is just fine for me.

9. Mike_Skill

Mike_Skill Stunt Coordinator

To get even more technical.....The THX LD releases available just prior to the Special Edition Box that were available individually, had two different pressings. The first batch were done at Pioneer and were very good, but the second pressing, which are probably easier to find now, were done at Kurari in Japan. These discs have virtually no video drop-outs, and are just a better all around manufactured disc. Much less prone to 'rot'. Some agree this is because the very clean edges to the discs themselves don't allow air to penetrate and become stale over time, thus leading to 'rot'. One of a few theories. Bad glue being the other. Whichever it is, I've never heard of Kurari discs rotting. They're identifiable by the 'K' on the ring just outside the disc label.

10. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

11. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Mike, that's some interesting info. I checked my collection and my SW and ROTJ are Kurari pressings. However, my Empire is a Pioneer disc. Another interesting thing about these is that the Kurari discs came in "elephant condoms" while my Pioneer discs came with the paper sleeves.

12. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor