What's new

Pre-Order Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker & The Skywalker Saga (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Preorder List (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm not on the fence about buying them at all.

I'm on the fence about whether to buy the 9-movie Best Buy set - with 1 redundant movie, since I already have the "Rise of Skywalker" 4K disc - or if I should get the 8 individual titles.

That's it. Unclear if there's some compelling reason to get the 9-movie set - like it has a book or something not in the individual sets...

Buy the box and sell your redundant copy of RoS.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It has a fancier “book” design that appears to be similar to the original James Bond collection or Mel Brooks collection pressings from Fox, and includes a reproduction of a letter written by Mark Hamill to the fans. In others words, it’s kind of a “box o’ junk” edition. Disc content remains the same.

Technically speaking there’s little reason to repurchase Episodes II and III in UHD unless Atmos is really important to you. Those films were shot on 1080p cameras and locked at that resolution. I felt the Blu-rays looked better than the 4K UHD upscales offered on Disney+. To my eyes, the new masters make it much more obvious that it’s performers standing in front of blue/green screen.

You underestimate what a completist I am! I can't own 7 of the 9 - I'd go insane! :D

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
In that case, hold on to your Revenge of the Sith DVD - it has several extra frames compared to all other versions!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
agreed it’s the purest version / cut of the film.
I never watch the blu ray because of this.

(Nerd hat on.) It’s actually not - the BD is the correct version. When they did the DVD, a wipe that was present in the theatrical version was (accidentally?) changed to a cut. The BD restores the wipe as present in theatrical release.

...not that I’ve watched the movie too many times or anything :D

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
(Nerd hat on.) It’s actually not - the BD is the correct version. When they did the DVD, a wipe that was present in the theatrical version was (accidentally?) changed to a cut. The BD restores the wipe as present in theatrical release.

...not that I’ve watched the movie too many times or anything :D

I think Sith is the one that I’ve seen the
Least. Hands down.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think Sith is the one that I’ve seen the
Least. Hands down.

The most by far for me, which is quite an achievement considering how often I watched Jedi as a kid. Don’t worry, I’ve seen it enough for you, me and probably half the western world.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The most by far for me, which is quite an achievement considering how often I watched Jedi as a kid. Don’t worry, I’ve seen it enough for you, me and probably half the western world.
You don't even want to know how many times I saw it in the theaters. I was unemployed in the summer of 2005 and I figured I should spend my time seeing the last (ha!) Star Wars movie in the theater over and over.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
You don't even want to know how many times I saw it in the theaters. I was unemployed in the summer of 2005 and I figured I should spend my time seeing the last (ha!) Star Wars movie in the theater over and over.

I saw the phantom menace 9 times. There are things I like about it. Plus I was just so excited to have a new Star Wars film. Being in my twenties helped too. Lots of free time to go.

I also saw phantom when they did the 3D version too!!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I pulled the trigger and pre-ordered the box from Best Buy. :cool: I’ll have to get the individual 4K disc for Rogue One.

Nice!

Disney and George Lucas thank you for your patronage! $270 now and another $30 for rogue one.

i did pick up Solo on UHd Blu ray for $20 a few weeks ago.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

We might have been close. I had just finished college, was still working at Blockbuster, and that summer moved from one apartment close to the first run theater to an apartment close to the second run theater right as the movie moved along that same path. And I also had a copy of that leaked version with the burned in timecode that came from one of the places outsourced to caption or dub the movie.

At this point in my life with grown up responsibilities I don’t think I will ever have the time to watch a movie again and again as many times as I watched that one. I regret nothing. :D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve been following along with most of the posts here. From what I gathered if I read them right, Ron is not a fan of some of the prequels. I actually like them. There’s been a few Star Trek TNG epsodes I wasn’t fond of but upon my recent reviewing them, I actually liked them now. Maybe that will be the case for Ron.

When this set was announced, I planned to pick it up. I don’t have any of these films in 4K, though like all of you, I do have the blu rays. Even though I don’t have a 4K set yet, I’ll be ready. Now that California is a locked down state with the Coronavirus, having this set will be one of the things to enjoy as I won’t be a Disney + customer. At least not in the immediate future.

I’d rather not venture out to Best Buy, if they are even going to be open much longer (due to the lock down), so I guess I’ll order it and have it delivered.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Here's the total viewings I did theatrically for each - I think:

-Star Wars: 8 (6 across 1977-78, 2 1997)
-ESB: 4 (2 1980, 2 1997)
-ROTJ: 4 (2 1983, 2 1997)
-TPM: 3
-AotC: 1
-RotS: 2
-TFA: 3
-TLJ: 2
-RoS: 2

Used to be a tradition for me to see all at the venerable Uptown in DC, but "AotC" broke that trend. Despite my disdain for the film, I did intend to see it a 2nd time at the Uptown, but by the time my unhappiness had settled, it was gone!

I did see "RotS" and "TFA" there, but the presentation quality had declined by 2015, so "TFA" was my last visit. The Uptown was a great theater once upon a town, but they let it go and it just wasn't as impressive anymore! :(

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Nice!

Disney and George Lucas thank you for your patronage! $270 now and another $30 for rogue one.

i did pick up Solo on UHd Blu ray for $20 a few weeks ago.

I don't have "R1" ordered on 4K and probably won't bother unless it's cheap at some point.

Yeah, I called myself a completist earlier, but that meant for the Episodes, not the spinoffs.

I have "R1" 3D and that's probably good enough for me.

Though because I have "Solo" 4K, it's possible the completist in me says "'R1' is the only title you don't have 4K - gotta catch 'em all!" :D

"Solo" is the only 1 I currently have 3D and 4K, though that'll change when I get the 4Ks of "TFA" and "TLJ".

Not sure which will end up as my go-to version. I like the 4K "Solo" more than the 3D, though...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Here's the total viewings I did theatrically for each - I think:

-Star Wars: 8 (6 across 1977-78, 2 1997)
-ESB: 4 (2 1980, 2 1997)
-ROTJ: 4 (2 1983, 2 1997)
-TPM: 3
-AotC: 1
-RotS: 2
-TFA: 3
-TLJ: 2
-RoS: 2
If I remember correctly, Return Of The Jedi is the one I've seen the least theatrically and I still saw it 6 or 7 times.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
If I remember correctly, Return Of The Jedi is the one I've seen the least theatrically and I still saw it 6 or 7 times.

Ha - you're a maniac! :D

I said I saw it twice in 1983 but I'm not 100% sure about that. I know I saw it opening day and I think I saw it a 2nd time, but the mind goes hazy.

I distinctly recall the added viewings of the others but not "ROTJ", so maybe I only saw it once in 1983!

I know I saw the SE versions 2X each in 1997 - and I was all excited about opening night of "ROTJ" SE because they gave away an exclusive action figure for the first screening!

I was big into "SW" toy collecting back then so I got to the theater like 90 minutes earlier to beat the inevitable surge of nerds out for free action figures.

And I was the only one there! :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks