What's new

Pre-Order Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker & The Skywalker Saga (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Preorder List (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Decisions, decisons. I can get this 9-movie set for $192 from Best Buy because my birthday is this month so I get 10% off for that and then had some rewards points that are expiring this month along with a $25 gift card. I'm going back to bed so I'll sleep on it and make my decision later today.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think I can help.

Under THOSE circumstances with the gift card and Birthday...

Last week you were mulling over the digital codes at $174 and it almost seemed that you were close to buying.

Now for about $20 more, you can get the discs AND the digital codes.

It is sounding more like a no-brainer to me, that is unless you want to wait for a Black Friday price drop that may or may not happen.
No, the cost was $74 for the 4K digitals.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No, the cost was $74 for the 4K digitals.

Oh shit. That's right. I don't know what went through my head.

Okay, completely, completely ignore that logic then. :)

Just buy the set. I guess I say that because I finally bowed down to doing it.

I removed my statement for just being horrendously ill-conceived.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’m sorry to mention a “taboo” subject, but without the last discs having the 3D version, this set is dead to me.
Why is it "taboo"? If that's your preference then so be it as I don't see anybody having a problem with that.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have ordered many 3D blus from Amazon.uk. These are the only packages I can almost guarantee will arrive in pristine condition each time.
Yeah, I haven’t had problems with damage. Maybe I’m not anal retentive enough? :P

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Actually there are one or two people here who absolutely jump on you if 3D is mentioned in any context except one or two threads. An honest enquiry was met with a demand that I stop “trolling”, so I rarely mention 3D.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Nah. I'd rather get them now, especially because I have so much time on my hands. Assuming the world gets back to normal at some point in the not horrible distant future - gulp - I'm never gonna have as much free time as I have right now.

So I'd rather pay more money and have them now - with the opportunity to watch all 9 over like 3 days, a chance that won't come again after life resumes - then wait for some theoretical sale in the future...

Or you could just watch them right now in 4K on Disney+?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'll try not to make a very embarrassing recommendation again...

I think I said this here earlier perhaps in this thread...

Buying and watching these films on digital was something I was considering.

Bill Hunt recently reviewed the ROS disk. I was talking to him on Facebook and he said he compared it to the Vudu stream and the disc PQ was noticeably superior.

That tells me that these discs will probably look noticeably better than the comparable digital streams and most likely Disney+ as well.

These are just some of the considerations I took between waiting for a price drop on the mega set vs. watching these films on Disney+ or buying the digital versions.

Mark VH

Second Unit
Depends. How much to you anticipate watching these films between now and Black Friday? If you're just going to watch a couple of them once each then have the set sit on your shelf for the next year or however long until you watch another one, wouldn't it be better to take the money you'd planned to spend on it now and donate it to a local food bank or relief fund for restaurant workers, etc. and then get it when it's heavily discounted in November? Not trying to guilt anyone into anything here, but it seems like if you're really on the fence about whether you want it now then there may be other factors to consider beyond the immediate gratification one.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I don't do streaming! :thumbsdown:
While I DO stream Netflix, Disney+, etc., I do that for more casual viewing when I won’t care so much if the picture screws up for a second (or sometimes not work all together), so I just still greatly prefer physical discs, especially for movies I love like Star Wars. I could probably pay more per month and get a better internet speed, but I’m not entirely convinced that it won’t still crap out at times. I’m perfectly content streaming what I stream and owning on disc what I want to own.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Depends. How much to you anticipate watching these films between now and Black Friday? If you're just going to watch a couple of them once each then have the set sit on your shelf for the next year or however long until you watch another one, wouldn't it be better to take the money you'd planned to spend on it now and donate it to a local food bank or relief fund for restaurant workers, etc. and then get it when it's heavily discounted in November? Not trying to guilt anyone into anything here, but it seems like if you're really on the fence about whether you want it now then there may be other factors to consider beyond the immediate gratification one.

I'm not on the fence about buying them at all.

I'm on the fence about whether to buy the 9-movie Best Buy set - with 1 redundant movie, since I already have the "Rise of Skywalker" 4K disc - or if I should get the 8 individual titles.

That's it. Unclear if there's some compelling reason to get the 9-movie set - like it has a book or something not in the individual sets...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It has a fancier “book” design that appears to be similar to the original James Bond collection or Mel Brooks collection pressings from Fox, and includes a reproduction of a letter written by Mark Hamill to the fans. In others words, it’s kind of a “box o’ junk” edition. Disc content remains the same.

Technically speaking there’s little reason to repurchase Episodes II and III in UHD unless Atmos is really important to you. Those films were shot on 1080p cameras and locked at that resolution. I felt the Blu-rays looked better than the 4K UHD upscales offered on Disney+. To my eyes, the new masters make it much more obvious that it’s performers standing in front of blue/green screen.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Decisions, decisons. I can get this 9-movie set for $192 from Best Buy because my birthday is this month so I get 10% off for that and then had some rewards points that are expiring this month along with a $25 gift card. I'm going back to bed so I'll sleep on it and make my decision later today.
Well, I never did go back to bed so I'll order this set this evening before turning in as it will be a birthday gift to myself.:D My real decision is whether to do store pickup or have them ship it to me. I would be pissed if they close the BB stores before March 31st and I can't pick up my order.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks