What's new

Pre-Order Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker & The Skywalker Saga (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Preorder List (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The U.K. version of the set contains the exact same content and package design, is region free, and is about half the price. If you really want it on physical media in UHD, that’s probably the best bang for your buck.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The U.K. version of the set contains the exact same content and package design, is region free, and is about half the price. If you really want it on physical media in UHD, that’s probably the best bang for your buck.

On the UK set the digital codes can’t be redeemed in the United States though right?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The codes from U.K. don’t work here. It’s up to 230 now? I didn’t realize. When it was first up for preorder it was going for like 140.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The codes from U.K. don’t work here. It’s up to 230 now? I didn’t realize. When it was first up for preorder it was going for like 140.

I wonder if I can trade in my old Kenner Star Wars toys in exchange for the new set.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Maybe initially, but when I looked a few weeks ago, it was $260 with the exchange rate at the time.

Now it appears to be sold out at Amazon UK. Oddly, when I first got to the link, it claimed there was a 3rd party copy - I guess - for 200 pounds, but it vanished right away.

That would've been $228 with current exchange, and that's probably the copy Osato saw.

Honestly, I'd want a price no more than like $200 for the UK set if I pursued it over the US one. Simply easier to deal with defective copies if I get it from Best Buy vs. a UK seller.

Since the UK is sold out - at least for now - and the price isn't any better anyway, I'd go Best Buy if I bought it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

But digital codes don't work and I risk box damage with overseas shipping/handling.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
But digital codes don't work and I risk box damage with overseas shipping/handling.

Digital codes mean nothing to me - I've never redeemed a single one - but I do use the "Disney Movie Rewards" codes. That's one benefit to getting the US set - and maybe a reason to get the individual titles, as they may amass more points total than the box would!

Though it may also come with the same individual codes as the separate titles...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Done and done! ;)

I'm still on the fence about whether I should get the box or the 8 individual titles.

C'mon, people - make my decision for me! :D

I have said this before. There is a very small handful of titles that I have put in my collection that I really cannot stand watching.

I have continually bought all the Star Wars movies in every format.

When the Blu-ray mega set was introduced I bought it knowing I would never again watch the prequels.

I am basically doing the same with the 4k set.

This is more of a completist thing for me than anything else. And I know my reasoning is beyond reasoning.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I have said this before. There is a very small handful of titles that I have put in my collection that I really cannot stand watching.

I have continually bought all the Star Wars movies in every format.

When the Blu-ray mega set was introduced I bought it knowing I would never again watch the prequels.

I am basically doing the same with the 4k set.

This is more of a completist thing for me than anything else. And I know my reasoning is beyond reasoning.

We're all collectors here - we understand! ;)

I find value in all 9 "Star Wars" episodes. Obviously I like some a lot more than others, but I still enjoy the prequels.

This purchase will be more of a "completist" thing for some of the titles, as it seems unclear how much of an upgrade E2 and E3 will be due to the limitations of the source.

Still, I like the movies, and I look forward to the 9-movie marathon I'll conduct when they arrive!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
We're all collectors here - we understand! ;)

I find value in all 9 "Star Wars" episodes. Obviously I like some a lot more than others, but I still enjoy the prequels.

This purchase will be more of a "completist" thing for some of the titles, as it seems unclear how much of an upgrade E2 and E3 will be due to the limitations of the source.

Still, I like the movies, and I look forward to the 9-movie marathon I'll conduct when they arrive!

Colin, sounds like you made up your mind to buy the set.

I would do that.

This is who we are. And you know what? This is one of the very few movie series we would consider doing this for. When it comes to STAR WARS, we generally take the good with the bad just for the franchise itself.

Let us know what you decide to do here.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
As much as the emotional part of me wants to throw caution to the wind and buy the new set....

I have access to them on Disney+.

the price is about $100-$150 too much imo.

I’m going to wait as there is nothing really special about the box set.

I may buy them 1-2 at a time over time.

with other 4k releases coming this year and also I just bought an Apple 4k tv I am prepared to wait.

as much as I love Star Wars they are not the most watched films too.

I too have bought the lm multiple times on vhs, dvd and then blu ray.

just how I’m seeing it at the moment. I am by no means right.

I do think in 6-12 months pricing on the titles may be better too.

so these have gone from essential purchases to wait and see for me.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Colin, sounds like you made up your mind to buy the set.

I would do that.

This is who we are. And you know what? This is one of the very few movie series we would consider doing this for. When it comes to STAR WARS, we generally take the good with the bad just for the franchise itself.

Let us know what you decide to do here.

I'm going to buy something.

The question is whether to get the 9-movie Best Buy release - with a 4K for "Rise" that I don't need - or just get the 8 individual 4Ks!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
save your money and wait.

Nah. I'd rather get them now, especially because I have so much time on my hands. Assuming the world gets back to normal at some point in the not horrible distant future - gulp - I'm never gonna have as much free time as I have right now.

So I'd rather pay more money and have them now - with the opportunity to watch all 9 over like 3 days, a chance that won't come again after life resumes - then wait for some theoretical sale in the future...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks