What's new

Pre-Order Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker & The Skywalker Saga (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Preorder List (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Try translating that to our now .70 dollar. The lower the price of oil, the lower our currency!

Divide by 0.7 I guess though I guess CAD/Yen might not translate directly.
My opinion -- wait and expect teh UK item to show up. If by the end of the month it hasn't moved, you could certainly try Zavvi and hope their shipping via a different service than UK or consider other countries. Or just wait until the Fall.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Has anyone compared the new 4K discs to the Disney + 4K streams?

Any difference?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Has anyone compared the new 4K discs to the Disney + 4K streams?

Any difference?

I talked to Bill Hunt of TheDigitalBits last week and he said the discs look noticeably better than the streams

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
My discs should be arriving today from BB so I will do the same.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I talked to Bill Hunt of TheDigitalBits last week and he said the discs look noticeably better than the streams

Seems to be the nearly universal impression of most of the other forums 1st views as well (Bluray, HifiDigest, a couple reddit posters) I came across. I haven't read too many posts that thought they were too close to call or "really close"

Multiple people of different technically backgrounds, preferences, and equipment seem in agreement that the 4K discs are noticeably better -- of course you are still dealing mostly with Disc crowd who bought them out of pocket so there is likely a bias anyway

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Unfortunately my UHD disc of A New Hope appears to be defective. Starting from where Luke and Ben see the Falcon the picture freezes then steps forwards for a bit then skips slightly later in the movie where it starts all over again. I put in the new standard Blu Ray to finish watching the movie.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Unfortunately my UHD disc of A New Hope appears to be defective. Starting from where Luke and Ben see the Falcon the picture freezes then steps forwards for a bit then skips slightly later in the movie where it starts all over again. I put in the new standard Blu Ray to finish watching the movie.

I would try cleaning the disc before giving up, um, hope. ;) Seriously, even if it LOOKS clean, give it a wipe with a microfiber cloth and distilled water (if you have it), and your problem might just go away. It's worked for me in the past.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I would try cleaning the disc before giving up, um, hope. ;) Seriously, even if it LOOKS clean, give it a wipe with a microfiber cloth and distilled water (if you have it), and your problem might just go away. It's worked for me in the past.
“Cleaning discs ain’t like dusting crops, Kid. Without precise motions we could tear right through the disc or bounce too close to the shiny part and that'd end your movie watching real quick, wouldn't it?”

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My Skywalker Saga box set from Best Buy arrived today. I didn’t order it till yesterday. So that was really fast. I was feeling concerned with handling a box from UPS when many hands would have touched it. However I have an enclosed atrium in my house, so I opened the box out there and took out the Saga box set and I’ll leave it out there a while before moving it to the garage overnight. I know the Covid 19 virus can’t live on cardboard long, not sure about the shrink wrap. Just being overly cautious.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Three days on plastic, from what I’ve read in several publications.

There are no documented cases of transmission from inanimate surface to person but I share your abundance of caution.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Josh. Three days. I usually like to save the plastic shrink wrap to protect the box on these big box sets. But if the box slides open, it might be moot to try to save it. I could just wipe the shrink wrap down before I tear it open and throw it away.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks Josh. Three days. I usually like to save the plastic shrink wrap to protect the box on these big box sets. But if the box slides open, it might be moot to try to save it. I could just wipe the shrink wrap down before I tear it open and throw it away.
Yes, the box slides open so you will have to tear open the shrink wrap and throw it away. I did so then wash my hands before opening up the box.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
That seems to have worked, I blame the stupid cardboard sleeves in the Saga collection. It makes it hard to remove the discs without touching the other side.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That seems to have worked, I blame the stupid cardboard sleeves in the Saga collection. It makes it hard to remove the discs without touching the other side.
Yeah. I found the 2011 Blu-ray set to be annoying when I tried to remove the discs but you could get the discs out without worry about the surface of them. This set is much more difficult to remove and the surface of the disc seems to actually rub against the packaging to get it in or out.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Glad that sorted it, and I agree about the sleeves. You simply cannot remove the discs without touching both sides. You'd think by now the designers of such things would know better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks