Pre-Order Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker & The Skywalker Saga (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Preorder List

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Real Name
Robert Harris
I’ve ordered six of the nine. Unless one is a rabid fan, a few of these films were not well made upon release, and haven’t stood the test of time. But that’s an opinion.

From a tech perspective, I’d still prefer the original versions with cardboard cur-outs and occasional matte lines.

As to the HDCAM production(s), we’ll see.

Reactions: Osato

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I’ve ordered six of the nine. Unless one is a rabid fan, a few of these films were not well made upon release, and haven’t stood the test of time. But that’s an opinion.

From a tech perspective, I’d still prefer the original versions with cardboard cur-outs and occasional matte lines.

As to the HDCAM production(s), we’ll see.
You shouldn't talk that way about the original trilogy released in 1977, 1980 and 1983.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
That's not for everyone -- including me. I don't want to be forced to buy club fulfillment titles just to get to this price point -- which is still above what I will pay for a UHD disc title (my personal price ceiling is $20). I'll wait for the holiday sales.
Since these are Disney-owned 4K catalog titles, I'm curious to see if there are ever good sales on them. I'm not an authority but the best deal I remember seeing on Pixar 4K catalog titles (which I think are comparable to the Star Wars ones) was Buy 2, Get 1 Free from Target which does work out to $20 but I don't ever remember seeing a straight up $20 price tag on any DIsney 4K catalog discs.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Since these are Disney-owned 4K catalog titles, I'm curious to see if there are ever good sales on them. I'm not an authority but the best deal I remember seeing on Pixar 4K catalog titles (which I think are comparable to the Star Wars ones) was Buy 2, Get 1 Free from Target which does work out to $20 but I don't ever remember seeing a straight up $20 price tag on any DIsney 4K catalog discs.
Yup, I don't expect much of a discount come Black Friday on those particular titles. I think the last Pirates of the Caribbean movie discounted down to $14.99 during a Black Friday sale.

Reactions: TravisR

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
I bought The Last Jedi during Cyber Monday in 2018. I must have used Amazon credits to buy it, as my "price paid" entry in DVD Profiler is $0. However, it must have been $20 or less for me to actually purchase the title. I can wait until then again, as Disney+ is an alternative until the price hits what I am willing to pay.

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
With my club obligations fulfilled I should be getting a buy one get 60% off my order. I’ll pay $35 for one and the rest will be $14 each.

I plan to order at least 9 or 10 of the Star Wars titles.

I’m going to sell my obligation titles.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
I bought The Last Jedi during Cyber Monday in 2018. I must have used Amazon credits to buy it, as my "price paid" entry in DVD Profiler is $0. However, it must have been $20 or less for me to actually purchase the title. I can wait until then again, as Disney+ is an alternative until the price hits what I am willing to pay.
The Last Jedi was a new release in 2018. I think you'll definitely find The Rise Of Skywalker on sale during the holidays this year but the catalog titles are a different deal. Never say never and like I said, I do think Target will have a Buy 2, Get 1 sale at some point so that would make them $20 a piece.

Reactions: Scott Merryfield

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Amazon price tracker indicates the lowest price for that particular 4K title was $17.70 on 12-05-18.

Reactions: Scott Merryfield

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Real Name
Robert Harris
You shouldn't talk that way about the original trilogy released in 1977, 1980 and 1983.
The original trilogy is wonderful. Seeing the first film, as originally released, makes one both wonder, and get a better understanding of how it was created on what was a relatively limited budget. Even today, yeoman-like work from Mr. Lucas.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
The original trilogy is wonderful. Seeing the first film, as originally released, makes one both wonder, and get a better understanding of how it was created on what was a relatively limited budget. Even today, yeoman-like work from Mr. Lucas.
I think you know I was only kidding.

Reactions: PMF

atcolomb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Angelo
Did a quick a/b comparison to Star Wars, A New Hope with my old Blu-ray set and noticed the image is darker on the 4k disc but better detail and natural colors. I have the laserdiscs and the tin dvd box set of the originals so I am happy that I have the option to see them when I want to. The same goes to THX 1138.

Reactions: PMF

Sam Favate

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My copy arrived at 10 am. It's very impressive. (I've yet to play any discs -- this is a school day, and I need my kids to do their work!)

One quibble: There is no logo or text on the spine, so sitting on a shelf, it will appear to be the monolith from 2001.

Reactions: Osato and PMF

atcolomb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Angelo
I did have one slight issue on the Best Buy box set. Pulling out the discs took some effort so they are tight in their slots.

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
The Last Jedi was a new release in 2018. I think you'll definitely find The Rise Of Skywalker on sale during the holidays this year but the catalog titles are a different deal. Never say never and like I said, I do think Target will have a Buy 2, Get 1 sale at some point so that would make them $20 a piece.
I am in no hurry to upgrade the catalog tiles from BD to UHD. I have not done that with any of the traditional Disney, Pixar or Marvel titles so far, and will only do so if Disney lowers its pricing. I can live with BD for the older titles, and own just the new releases on UHD.

Reactions: TravisR

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My copy arrived at 10 am. It's very impressive. (I've yet to play any discs -- this is a school day, and I need my kids to do their work!)

One quibble: There is no logo or text on the spine, so sitting on a shelf, it will appear to be the monolith from 2001.
If this is The Saga box’s set, you’ve got to find a way to display that Death Star. I know it will take up space, but if I had sprung for that set (on a cold day in hell), I’d want to display it. IMHO, of course. You don’t have to do anything I say.

Reactions: Sam Favate

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I am in no hurry to upgrade the catalog tiles from BD to UHD. I have not done that with any of the traditional Disney, Pixar or Marvel titles so far, and will only do so if Disney lowers its pricing. I can live with BD for the older titles, and own just the new releases on UHD.
I understand that, but I'm a fanatic about such titles.

Reactions: Osato

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Popped3off