What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Saw the movie for the second time. Really enjoyed it, more than the first time. I think I'm going to enjoy this even more than The Force Awakens in the future. I'm going to bump up my rating and add an additional star. There are elements and ideas in this movie that I really like. It has more than The Force Awakens which was just a start. Yes it's not high art but I think it's the best in the trilogy.

And the humor lands just right with me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
And the humor lands just right with me.
Every time I saw the movie, the reveal of Hux got a laugh. I'm sure I've said it before in this thread but I love that C-3PO is funny in this one and not simply whining for the first time since 1977. The movie is all the better for using the character that way again.

"Is this the after life? Are droids allowed here?"

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What part is the reveal of Hux that gets laugh? The severed alien head on the table? ( I bet you know the alien's name by heart! :D)

I still think that Domhnall Gleeson is miscast. He is doing the worst acting compared to everyone else. I do not like his acting in this.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
However, at times, purchasing these multi-movie packages is a little cheaper than purchasing those titles separately.
True - and I make exceptions for those. In those cases the big box and contents are looked at once and put in storage. However, I've often purchased the titles in these "collector edition box sets" as they've come out, like I did with the Star Wars movies, so have no use for another "box-o-junk."

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I love Domhnall Gleeson in everything I’ve seen him in...

...except Star Wars. Lol! I blame the role though, he’s obviously playing it how the part is written.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
He is way over the top, like he is trying really hard to be evil.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
e02901c2b09cc9d3-600x400.jpg

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
J.J. Abrams’ Editor Still Feels Very Strongly About ‘Last Jedi’ Consciously Undoing ‘Star Wars’

J.J. Abrams' longtime editors say the director was in a tough position with "The Rise of Skywalker" after what Johnson did to the story in "The Last Jedi."

The outrage over Rian Johnson’s “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” just won’t go away. On a recent episode of the “Light the Fuse” podcast (via CinemaBlend), J.J. Abrams’ longtime editor Mary Jo Markey shared her belief that “The Last Jedi” made conscious storytelling decisions that undid the narrative setups made in “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” which Abrams directed and Markey co-edited with frequent collaborator Maryann Brandon. Abrams returned to direct last year’s “The Rise of Skywalker,” which Markey defended against claims it retcons Johnson’s “Last Jedi.” Markey did not edit “Rise of Skywalker,” but her career with Abrams also includes “Mission: Impossible III,” “Star Trek,” and “Star Trek Into Darkness.” Markey was Oscar nominated for her work on “The Force Awakens.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” Markey said when the conversation turned to Johnson’s “Last Jedi” script “undoing” Abrams’ “Force Awakens” story. “It’s very strange to have the second film so consciously undo the storytelling of the first one. I’m sorry that’s what it felt like. I don’t even feel that’s true about the third film. It took where the second film ended and just tried to tell a story. I didn’t feel like it was consciously trying to undo — it just didn’t feel that way to me.”

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I just don’t see it. TLJ was completely in line with what TFA set up in my eyes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
J.J. Abrams’ Editor Still Feels Very Strongly About ‘Last Jedi’ Consciously Undoing ‘Star Wars’

J.J. Abrams' longtime editors say the director was in a tough position with "The Rise of Skywalker" after what Johnson did to the story in "The Last Jedi."

The outrage over Rian Johnson’s “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” just won’t go away. On a recent episode of the “Light the Fuse” podcast (via CinemaBlend), J.J. Abrams’ longtime editor Mary Jo Markey shared her belief that “The Last Jedi” made conscious storytelling decisions that undid the narrative setups made in “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” which Abrams directed and Markey co-edited with frequent collaborator Maryann Brandon. Abrams returned to direct last year’s “The Rise of Skywalker,” which Markey defended against claims it retcons Johnson’s “Last Jedi.” Markey did not edit “Rise of Skywalker,” but her career with Abrams also includes “Mission: Impossible III,” “Star Trek,” and “Star Trek Into Darkness.” Markey was Oscar nominated for her work on “The Force Awakens.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” Markey said when the conversation turned to Johnson’s “Last Jedi” script “undoing” Abrams’ “Force Awakens” story. “It’s very strange to have the second film so consciously undo the storytelling of the first one. I’m sorry that’s what it felt like. I don’t even feel that’s true about the third film. It took where the second film ended and just tried to tell a story. I didn’t feel like it was consciously trying to undo — it just didn’t feel that way to me.”

I'd say that's fair but I don't mean that as a critique. The Last Jedi has Luke just toss his lightsaber which was the big end of The Force Awakens, mocks & gets rid of Ren's mask, they present a much different Luke than expected, they kill Snoke, they kill Phasma, etc. Nearly all things are good moves in my mind but I could see how Abrams and his collaborators might take some offense. The Rise Of Skywalker just tried to appeal to the people who didn't like what TLJ did by either moving in a different direction or ignoring as much as possible TLJ. I don't think Abrams or Johnson were being malicious in what they did, they just had different ideas.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I just don’t see it. TLJ was completely in line with what TFA set up in my eyes.
I think Luke's story in TLJ is only one really dictated by TFA. What TLJ did with Luke was vastly better than some silly thing like "Snoke put a Force curse on me and I can't leave the island!" so Luke could then kick everyone's ass or whatever people wanted to see instead.

lastjedi-fan.jpg

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Saw the main documentary The Skywalker Legacy. Very much enjoyed the second half of it. Especially the music was great.

The first half kind of felt standard. It's different than The Phantom Menace documentary. It doesn't have the same narrative. It doesn't particularly say the story of the making of the movie from start to finish.

Don't know how to describe it. With the great music it had, it made my imagination running wild which is what you want to do in a movie. I was thinking about stuff that you don't see on the screen. The emperor room and all that stuff, Rey, Ben. If you don't go too fast in a movie and let the audience breath and think a little, they start to imagine things, which is the best thing, half of your work is done. Imagination is more powerful than what you can create on screen.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

“‘Like, you guys knew what to do with Daisy Ridley, you knew what to do with Adam Driver,” lamented Boyega, adding that when it came him and Tran, it was like “f - - k y’all.”

Normally, I'd say this is unbecoming of an actor (especially given the A-list status of the films he starred in) but I can't disagree with his view.
Wit the exception of TLJ which is the only film in the trilogy I cared for, and showed a lot of promise, I think the blame is more on the writing (I don't think Kylo Ren had great character development either), and not having strong story arc for Finn rather than racist intentions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks