What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I was finally going to get out and see this for a second time this weekend. Just wondering if the rumors ended up being false about an extended cut coming out. I thought the rumor said this Friday the 24, but all the showtimes around me still list it as the normal runtime. Going to go see it either way, though.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I was finally going to get out and see this for a second time this weekend. Just wondering if the rumors ended up being false about an extended cut coming out. I thought the rumor said this Friday the 24, but all the showtimes around me still list it as the normal runtime. Going to go see it either way, though.
A quick Google search yields only articles referring back to that original post, which is not exactly well known journalistic source. Since that report can't really be "disproven" short of simply time passing and it never happening, and/or JJ saying "absolutely not going to happen" the most accurate thing I think we can say is "no other well established news source has confirmed that story". So it's really up to you to decide if sntstory.com has some awesome inside info that has eluded just about every other news source and wait.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just wondering if the rumors ended up being false about an extended cut coming out.
Indeed a false rumor. It will never happen imo. There has never been an extended cut of a Star Wars film ever. And there won’t be. ;)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
IF an extended cut happens, I think they're saving it for Disney Plus. This weekend seems like it would have been the best time to release it (the new movies are a weak crop in terms of business) or MAYBE next week when there's still almost nothing opening but the week of February 6 is that Harley Quinn movie so this week was the time if it as going to happen.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
IF an extended cut happens, I think they're saving it for Disney Plus. This weekend seems like it would have been the best time to release it (the new movies are a weak crop in terms of business) or MAYBE next week when there's still almost nothing opening but the week of February 6 is that Harley Quinn movie so this week was the time if it as going to happen.
Do you really think it’s gonna happen Travis?? I’m shocked you even think it’s a possibility.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I simply don’t believe that there are nearly an hour’s worth of fully completed deleted scenes in existence for a high budget, high effects movie that had a rushed production and barely made the finish line.

I believe what co-screenwriter Chris Terrio said: that they had a lot of ideas at the beginning of writing and had half-heartedly wished they had more screen time than they did. Most of those ideas would have been left by the wayside as they started writing a script that was intended to be shot. I would guess that the most substantial bit of deleted material is probably the ten minutes or so of scripted material that Terrio talked about filming with Rose with the plan of integrating Carrie Fisher footage into it, that had to be cut when the CGI tricks didn’t produce as good of a result as they had hoped for.

I’m sure there are completed or partially completed deleted scenes that will be on the home releases but I seriously doubt the amount of unique, usable footage (as opposed to scene trims and unworkable material like the aforementioned Rose/Leia segments) totaled anywhere near what that website was claiming.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
...but I seriously doubt the amount of unique, usable footage (as opposed to scene trims and unworkable material like the aforementioned Rose/Leia segments) totaled anywhere near what that website was claiming.
Oh yeah, I agree. 50 minutes longer is likely a fantasy invented by some nerd who equates length to quality or thinks that since Avengers was 3 hours, Star Wars should be too. Maybe an assembly cut ran another 50 minutes but that version would be nearly unwatchable. That being said, I'm not saying that it's going to happen BUT I believe it's possible that some scenes could be put back into the movie for a video or streaming release. I wouldn't mind having a few scenes that let the movie breath a little more but any problems I have with the movie aren't going to be fixed by it being longer so I'm good if the theatrical cut is the only one that is ever released.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I believe it's possible that some scenes could be put back into the movie for a video or streaming release.
But why would Disney do that for this film and not the others? It just doesn’t make sense to me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
But why would Disney do that for this film and not the others? It just doesn’t make sense to me.
I hate to sound like a press release but Disney Plus has potentially really changed things. Having an exclusive longer cut of a franchise movie like Star Wars is only going to be a plus for Disney Plus.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Indeed a false rumor. It will never happen imo. There has never been an extended cut of a Star Wars film ever. And there won’t be. ;)

Technically, the ANH special edition is an extended cut since it did add a deleted scene. The other 2 special editions also added a few newly created shots here and there as well.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Technically, the ANH special edition is an extended cut since it did add a deleted scene. The other 2 special editions also added a few newly created shots here and there as well.
The Phantom Menace is also an extended version (it adds some stuff to the podrace and Anakin's ride in an air taxi on Coruscant) on DVD, Blu-ray and streaming. The theatrical version was only on VHS and the Japan-only laserdisc.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
True. I stand corrected.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
A breakdown of Colin Trevorrow's Episode IX script: Duel of the Fates.

https://imgur.com/a/lX9JG8F
Concept art has also surfaced and been verified by Trevorrow to be from Duel of the Fates.
I would love a giclee on canvas of this!
2020.01.23-10.18-boundingintocomics-5e2a1bd3e4609-1340x657.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks