What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I agree with you on this, I didn't find this movie disrespectful to Rian Johnson at all.
I'd argue that TLJ takes some direct shots at TFA (making fun of Kylo Ren's mask, turning Hux into something of a goof, having Luke just toss his lightsaber after that being the climax of the previous movie). TROS just didn't follow the tracks that TLJ set down and to me, that isn't disrespectful, it was just that Abrams and company went in a different direction.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
So did Ben figure out the secret to keep people from dying that Anakin was trying to find? I'd say yes but there's a heavy cost. Rey used the power a couple of times leading up to that moment and made a comment about how she was transferring her lifeforce to another. Perhaps it took up all of Ben's lifeforce to resurrect her.

The kiss between Rey and Ben got some moans in a theater that was mostly enjoying the film by cheering at different points throughout.

So much to digest...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The kiss between Rey and Ben got some moans in a theater that was mostly enjoying the film by cheering at different points throughout.
Quite a few people in my theater were audibly grossed out by their kiss as well.

I get it... But on the other hand, the two of them definitely had chemistry. The only pairing with more chemistry was Poe and Finn, the bromance of the century.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice his one shot.

Also, did Lando say he was from the Colt system? I hope he was born on the 45th moon.

Good work by JJ because I thought I read that they tried to get him back for TFA but he was completely uninterested. Wonder how much he got.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I think that kiss was unnecessary. Or at least I don't read it as romance. It was like they were happy they succeeded. I thought they are going to hook up Rey and Poe.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I think the worst cameo was John Williams. He should not have been in there. It was distracting and he is bigger than life. He does not need a cameo.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Quite a few people in my theater were audibly grossed out by their kiss as well.

I get it... But on the other hand, the two of them definitely had chemistry. The only pairing with more chemistry was Poe and Finn, the bromance of the century.

Yes. There was sexual tension built up between them in TLJ. Though I’m still in movie land conflicted about that kiss, but it’s not all that uncommonly in real life.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The Rey and Palpatine lineage I had heard many many times before. I think it is a well established fan theory.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I loved it. Up there with Episode V for me at the top of my ranking (V, IX, VII, IV, VI, III, VIII, Solo, R1, I, II). I'll post more thoughts once I've had time to gather them.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
I remember reading about Rey's Theme being a re-write of the Emperor's Theme in The Force Awakens. Will have to look back and see if I can find that.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Was guy who was setup to be mole but not really mole a character in the OT, because he said something to Palps like “I served you in the old wars”

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just got back.

My initial impression is it is entertaining but an epic disappointing mess of a Star Wars film.

All over the place. In good ways and bad ways.

As the magician from Frosty The Snowman would say......

Messy.....messy....messy.

Seeing it again Sunday morning. Perhaps it will improve. Right now I would rank it on the Star Trek scale...7 of 9. ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’ve seen it! Getting ready for my second showing. First impression, it’s okay so I’m not entirely happy with it. It’s a bit of a mess. More to come after my second viewing as I further process this movie.
Again, the movie is a mess, but I did enjoy it more on my second viewing. The kiss wasn't necessary and my audience had audible groans during it. More later as I'm freaking tired.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Also

Loved John Williams cameo

Rose completely discarded in this film after being a major part of TLJ

Billy Dee Williams was terrible and added nothing to the film but fan service and bad acting.

Luke looked like The Big Lebowski in his cameo. The dude does not abide.

Didn’t notice much of Williams score. Will pay more attention Sunday.

And I agree the film is not convoluted. It was an easy to follow mess. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation730
Recent bookmarks