What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, each trilogy has come to a close with an ad campaign saying that “the saga is complete”. They’ll put it on pause for a while and one day resume it, and when that next trilogy’s final installment is out, the ads will once again say that the saga is complete.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, each trilogy has come to a close with an ad campaign saying that “the saga is complete”. They’ll put it on pause for a while and one day resume it, and when that next trilogy’s final installment is out, the ads will once again say that the saga is complete.
You never know because when there's money to be made studios, filmmakers and actors do have a tendency to change their minds.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Re Palpatine

Lucasfilm creative Matt Martin reiterates Palpatine didn't create Anakin Skywalker with the Force

'This is all in Anakin’s head ... I can tell you definitively, as someone who worked on the comic, that is 100% not the intended implication'

According to Lucasfilm Story Group Creative Executive Matt Martin, Palpatine did not create Anakin. In fact, this is one of several mysteries in Star Wars that George Lucas never wanted to be revealed.

https://dorksideoftheforce.com/2019/12/23/star-wars-lucasfilm-story-group-palpatine-created-anakin/

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I really think the Skywalker Saga is done.

The difference between the "completion" of the OT and then the PT is that Lucas announced plans for 9 episodes early on - either late 70s or 1980, IIRC.

So for years and years, fans had the notion this was a 9-part saga. The "middle trilogy" we got in 1977-83, then a prequel trilogy, and then a sequel trilogy.

There was never a "grand plan" for Episodes beyond that. Lucas didn't say "we'll have 9 Episodes about the Skywalkers and then another 9 about Bloppo Blippo" or whatever.

The series was at Lucas's whims for years. He bailed on the original 9-movie plan in 1983 because he was sick of "Star Wars", and he declared the series done in 2005 because he didn't want to continue to deal with "Star Wars".

So the 1st 2 trilogies allegedly ended the series just because of Lucas's emotions. Based on his statements, they were supposed to go to 9 movies, and now they have.

I think there will be more trilogies, but they won't revolve around Skywalkers...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Maybe I didn’t state that right. I think that there will be an Episode 10-12 one day, and it’ll focus on where the galaxy is in the years or decades after Episodes 7-9. But I agree that they won’t be Skywalker-centric. But that they’ll take place after those events and be made in a similar style, with the numbering and opening crawl and all that.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I’m really tired of this notion that Lucas had 9 movies planned out because it’s not true. I know what he says but, he’s been inconsistent over the years. In fact, soon after SW was released in ‘77 he mentioned in a few interviews that there were 12 movies.

Problems is, none of his talk lines up with what we know about the writing of Star Wars. We know about the story treatment he wrote and all the different drafts of Star Wars and none of them had a grand 9 part plan. This is a myth that even Lucas has pushed since the ‘70s. Now maybe he had some vague ideas in his head but I don’t believe he ever had a master plan penned to paper. I mean, Vader wasn’t even Luke’s father until the second draft of Empire. In the first draft Luke actually meets his father’s spirt while training. So even as late as Empire’s first draft Vader and Anakin were 2 different characters.

Look, I’m not trying to dog on Lucas, I just think he is given too much credit for a master plan that didn’t really exist. People tend to talk like he knew every single detail about his 6 movies back in the ‘70s. I don’t buy it.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Yeah, from what I remember reading in the Rinsler books (HIGHLY recommend those, BTW), he wrote a big long draft for the first movie that he had to cut a few things out of. Essentially a sequence on Alderaan, which would have been designed like Cloud City, and a Jungle planet (I think it was meant to be the Wookiee planet which then became Endor by the time of ROTJ) at the end which corresponds with the attack of the Death Star. There’s a LOT in Empire and Jedi created from scratch because he really didn’t have three movies worth of material in mind. And his notes on doing a prequel trilogy were also probably very vague. There’s a very basic outline somewhere in there with a “prologue” movie, and an episode 1-3 that he labels as a “clone wars thingy”.

I’d have to dig out my book to see what else it may have had in regards to his early plans (circa ‘75-‘76) when it came to multiple trilogies. But it’s clear it was quite vague ideas that evolved a lot. I believe he even had a first draft of what eventually became the original movie labeled “Episode I”, probably before he had inspiration enough to expand his vision.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think Lucas has overstated how much he had at the beginning. But of the early drafts and outlines that circulate, its clear that Lucas at the very least had enough ideas to envision an entire world that could sustain multiple films. And I honestly think that’s an achievement in and of itself; the reality is impressive enough even without the myths.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Saw it this morning, FINALLY, so I can post in my own thread! My IMAX 3D presentation was very good. Overall I liked it a lot, and even loved it in places. For me, the best part of the whole film were those final moments with Rey on Tatooine. PERFECTION as far as the final scenes in this story.

The movie in its entirety was a mixed bag, but there were so many small moments that I loved I’m able to forgive some of the other stuff. 3PO’s arc, Daisy Ridley’s performance, the Han Solo cameo, the scene between Oscar Isaac and Keri Russell, the bromance between Finn and Poe... the list goes on. I really think that a little more time in the editing booth would have helped TRoS out quite a bit, but I’m not going to complain too much.

There was SO much to digest that I’m looking forward to seeing it again!

Last edited:

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Maybe I didn’t state that right. I think that there will be an Episode 10-12 one day, and it’ll focus on where the galaxy is in the years or decades after Episodes 7-9. But I agree that they won’t be Skywalker-centric. But that they’ll take place after those events and be made in a similar style, with the numbering and opening crawl and all that.
Maybe they use „baby Yoda“ as a new protagonist.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just got back from my second viewing. I confirmed what someone else has said is probably the biggest problem with the plot; 80% of the movie takes place within 16 hours including Lando travelling to the core worlds and ending up with hundreds of ships.

J.J. also lifted a joke from his pilot for LOST and the actor who told the joke in that episode was in this movie.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
F6D88267-7112-49E9-AB96-412AC13EE38F.jpeg
J.J. also lifted a joke from his pilot for LOST and the actor who told the joke in that episode was in this movie.

Can you just say what it was?
We don’t all have Lost memorized.

Anyway we just got back from the second watching of Rise.

Soo glad I watched it twice.
Liked it the first time but I had too much baggage going in.

Knowing what was going to happen allowed me to be at ease this time.
I was able to take it in and enjoy it and See it.
I really think it’s a beautiful movie. It’s spectacular to look at.

Doubtful I’ll see it agoan until I see it at home but for me it’s a satisfying end to the Skywalker Saga.

So anyone else think Hamill’s face looked odd.
Something just didn’t look right.

Also here is the past Jedi credit list.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
As already mentioned, Lucas obviously didn't have a 9-movie arc planned from the get-go. As many realise, one of the problematic elements is showing a potential romantic triangle between Luke/Leia/Han and then it's conveniently resolved because...Luke and Leia are brother and sister?:blink::eek::cool:

The other big question is, if he did have 3 trilogies planned, then why did he start...with the middle one? Hmmm...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For me, the best part of the whole film were those final moments with Rey on Tatooine. PERFECTION as far as the final scenes in this story.
I had no idea what the final scene would be so when you see the Falcon fly past a sandcrawler (they managed to get a "Utinni!" in there), I was wonderfully surprised. The Han Solo scene and the Tatooine scenes- especially the final shot- are my favorite points in the movie.

I just got back from my second viewing. I confirmed what someone else has said is probably the biggest problem with the plot; 80% of the movie takes place within 16 hours including Lando travelling to the core worlds and ending up with hundreds of ships.
I said it earlier in the thread but Abrams is a wild man with hyperspace. Previous SW lore had hyperspace travel take hours (or maybe even days) depending on just how far a character was traveling but now in the Disney era, it's almost like teleportation.

Thanks for the list!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
View attachment 66547

Can you just say what it was?
We don’t all have Lost memorized.
Poe just fell down the quicksand and called for Rey and Finn. Threepio responds that he is C3PO and he is fine. In the LOST pilot Kate goes calling for Jack. You can see it at about a minute and 28 seconds into the below clip.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I’m really tired of this notion that Lucas had 9 movies planned out because it’s not true. I know what he says but, he’s been inconsistent over the years. In fact, soon after SW was released in ‘77 he mentioned in a few interviews that there were 12 movies.

Problems is, none of his talk lines up with what we know about the writing of Star Wars. We know about the story treatment he wrote and all the different drafts of Star Wars and none of them had a grand 9 part plan. This is a myth that even Lucas has pushed since the ‘70s. Now maybe he had some vague ideas in his head but I don’t believe he ever had a master plan penned to paper. I mean, Vader wasn’t even Luke’s father until the second draft of Empire. In the first draft Luke actually meets his father’s spirt while training. So even as late as Empire’s first draft Vader and Anakin were 2 different characters.

Look, I’m not trying to dog on Lucas, I just think he is given too much credit for a master plan that didn’t really exist. People tend to talk like he knew every single detail about his 6 movies back in the ‘70s. I don’t buy it.

I never claimed Lucas had a "grand plan". He clearly made crap up as he went along.

But after "SW" came out, he did state that he planned to make 3 trilogies. He later tried to convince us that this was all planned out when he was an infant! :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Happy Holidays / Merry Christmas to everyone!

Just happened to have TLJ going this morning while getting ready, and I admit that despite its flaws I'm more on the side of a "fan" of TLJ than not.

However at the beginning of the film I saw the one scene that always triggered me. How does Rose's sister flip over so f'n fast to catch the falling release hatch switch?!?!?! Seriously that defies all logic. One second she's on her back, watching it fall. Then it's past her, while she's still on her back, her head turns but the rest of her body is totally still as it passes her. Then the next frame her hand catches it in a backhand manner (implying she's still on her back) but then the next frame she's on her belly looking through the metal floor she had just been lying on her back just a millisecond ago.

Yes, of all the flaws (perceived and real)...that's the hill I'm going to die on. :rolling-smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks