Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!)

Mark-P

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
BTW, before the movie, one of my kids was talking to someone and mentioned that he'd seen the new Star Wars movie. "You did?" the man said, "How was it?"
"It was awesome," my son said, "and by the way, did you know that Rey is a Palpatine?!?"

Ouch. Teachable moment.
Haha, your son is Homer Simpson!

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I thought this article was kinda funny: In the Star Wars Universe, Love Is Dead

I saw the film today. The lady next to me was pretty outraged about developments about halfway through, and didn't mind verbally expressing it. I didn't mind her mini rants. It was entertaining (perhaps more so than some parts of the movie).

I thought the best part of the movie was the end on Tattooine.

Most of the scenes with Fisher footage felt awkward.

Admittedly, I did not see Rey's heritage coming, but then I always pictured Palpatine as an "evil eunuch" type, so considering him pro-creating the old fashioned way was never a consideration.

I would have been fine with Rey coming from nobodies and think her taking on the Skywalker name would have been more poignant that way, as opposed to her becoming a Skywalker to reject her Palpatine lineage (which seems a little contradictory to the underlying message that it doesn't matter where you came from).

Reactions: Timothy E

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
I think Driver was in that Midnight Special movie from a few years ago. Personally, I have loved him in every role I’ve seen him in, SW included.

Reactions: TravisR

Tim Glover

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Sam, Like you on my second viewing I liked it much more & was able to really take it all in. Instead of waiting for the next scene to happen I found myself really enthralled.

Would like to catch a 3D showing. #1 was an IMAX, then #2 was in Dolby Cinema. Both AWESOME.

BTW, I thought the score was kind of a greatest hits in some ways BUT the more I listen the more I love it.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
"Uh oh!" is still Adam Driver's greatest moment:

By the way, take a look at Driver's IMDB to see how many incredible directors he's already worked with and he's not even 40. The dude is just fantastic.
:laugh: Thanks for sharing as I completely forgot about Driver being in this movie with Issac.

Reactions: TravisR

Edwin-S

Lead Actor
Premium
IMO, Driver's acting in these movies got better with each movie. I thought he was excellent in this one.
His acting did improve, so maybe it is less his acting that I disliked and more that I just didn't care for the character that he was playing. He was actually pretty good in "Lucky Logan". I just forgot he was in that movie since it has been a while since I saw it and Daniel Craig's performance was the most memorable from that film.

John*Wells

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Is there anyone besides me who feels that the Star Wars feature films should be considered closed? I mean, it’s clear that George Lucas has a plan for a sequel trilogy even if he chose not to do it. However, I remember him saying that Star Wars was a story of Fathers and Sons (Palpatine, Anakin, Luke Han, Ben). That story has now been told and I think to go much further would become a repetitive cycle which would become boring at the very least as I know Disney says additional films are planned.

that said, I would not be opposed to additional anthology films. Perhaps one about Lando ( I know Solo sort of covered Lando)as well as the child hoods of Luke and Leia

perhaps I am in the minority but just a thought

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Is there anyone besides me who feels that the Star Wars feature films should be considered closed? I mean, it’s clear that George Lucas has a plan for a sequel trilogy even if he chose not to do it. However, I remember him saying that Star Wars was a story of Fathers and Sons (Palpatine, Anakin, Luke Han, Ben). That story has now been told and I think to go much further would become a repetitive cycle which would become boring at the very least as I know Disney says additional films are planned.

that said, I would not be opposed to additional anthology films. Perhaps one about Lando ( I know Solo sort of covered Lando)as well as the child hoods of Luke and Leia

I think it should be close in regard to the Skywalker family.

Reactions: Tino

Reggie W

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

Well, I don't know how you "close" a property like this considering how much they have invested in it. My assumption is that they will eventually remake this...I don't even know what to call it...Skywalker Saga. Perhaps in remaking it they can improve upon the story aspects because they have some sort of blueprint to start from these 9 films...something Lucas never had and which made these last three films appear to be sort of all over the place.

The other side of it is, do younger audiences really care about this at this point as much as they are invested in later film series that came out during their lifetimes. All the kids I know have no interest in Star Wars. They are all about Harry Potter and/or Marvel films. Those seem far more relevant to them.

When we had a bunch of friends over with all their kids a while back I showed some films including The Last Jedi. The kids had nearly ZERO interest in it. They were far more interested in Harry Potter and oddly Coppola's The Outsiders.

I have two nephews that have shown some interest in Star Wars but this is only because their father is a fan and has pushed it at them. I would say though they don't seem in love with it they seem to just take some pride in knowing what it is because their dad likes it. If you give them a choice of what to watch and include Star Wars in the list they never pick that.

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
IMO, Driver's acting in these movies got better with each movie. I thought he was excellent in this one.
I was most impressed by Driver in "Force", but that's partly because I went in with a negative view of him.

I can't even recall why, but I didn't like him prior to that.

I thought he was great in "Force", so I've been less impressed since just because I expected him to be good!

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Yes, but as a practical matter, the battle for democracy seems won and the story of the family resolved. I don’t see where you go from there to keep the audience interested
It's a huge galaxy (far far away). Lots of stories to be told.

Will audiences care if those stories aren't directly connected to characters/situations from the Episodes?

Dunno, but there are still bunches of tales that can be brought to life. No reason to cap that universe because we won't focus on Skywalkers anymore...

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2ephecks