1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by dpippel, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    What is it from?

2. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam

3. Greg.K

Greg.K Cinematographer

Greg K.
    Apparently a pageant competition from 1993.

Reggie W likes this.
  4. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

5 minutes of that was enough, especially when "Mr, Plnkett" there was going on about how Abrams should have directed the prequels and Lucas should have directed people to their seats.

He gets his wish and now it is Abrams can't write a good story. He is the classic example of be careful what you wish for.

AshJW likes this.
  5. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

Not untrue. Hell even Weinstein had a pretty hot wife when the metoo thing broke.

still I hope a few people recognized that I was referencing Dark Helmet’s like from Spaceballs (slightly modified for course, referencing Druish Princesses wouldn’t have made sense in this context.)

6. Message #306 of 828 Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I agree that none of these people are attempting any sort of film criticism. I assume they make the videos because they are disappointed fans that really want to express that disappointment. Some of the videos are amusing because these guys appear to be some sort of stunted growth man children that just have never grown up...like the guy in the first video I posted that appears in some sort of costume with his lightsaber and acts like he has lost his mind over how this picture turned out.

Some videos are OK, I posted some Brit reviews because they tend to be a bit funnier and more witty than the American reviews where weirdos seem to need to be hospitalized because they did not like the picture.

For the record I did not watch that guy's two and a half hour video it just came up as the next video in line when I watched his first rant. I was just sort of amazed that he made a second video that went on for another 2 1/2 hours. Ha!

One thing I learned from watching these videos is that I know next to nothing about Star Wars "canon" and all that minutia. It seems that knowing all this stuff is what ruins the films for these people. I mean these guys will reference books or comic books that came out decades ago or things like this for reasons why these new films are not following whatever it is they think the stories should follow.

I have never read these books, comic books, nor have I created any charts to show how the force is supposed to work, who has it, and what sort of "magic" you can perform with it.

Basically, I have no idea what these people are talking about and what they are referencing to judge the films.

I don't know if this makes me a better audience member or one not worthy of attending these films because I have not studied all this stuff. I know it makes me a lot more easy on the product because I am not as invested as these guys are.

I'm always open to what other people have to say or think and it does not upset me. So, I just see these things as an opportunity to hear out someone else.

Brian L likes this.
  7. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Calling them stunted man-children does not accomplish anything. These guys make their living as YouTube personalities. They are competing in a crowded sphere, so they have to create a "personality" to attract viewers. TIf being an "angry nerd" was what created their popularity then that is what they roll with to keep their viewers. If they change their schtick, they lose viewers because they are not giving their audience what they expect.

Their YouTube personalities are no more reflective of their actual personalities than actor's role is reflective of the actual actor

sidburyjr likes this.
  8. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    That's interesting and with some of these guys I do get the impression they are acting. That Brit guy I posted sitting in the cool wooden chair for example. He seems to just be putting on a show and I don't think he is truly having any sort of breakdown. That first guy though, the one American guy I posted...I don't know, he seems honestly very invested in Star Wars in such a way that it is much more than a motion picture to him.

And on these guys "making a living" from these videos? I just do not believe there is that kind of money in making them. I mean some of these guys, like the Plinkett people, I think they work for someone or something but even with them I doubt there is "making a living" money in making those videos. I've talked to a lot of podcasters and most them make nothing at all or hardly anything. I can't believe that these guys doing what appear to be just rants in front of a camera to post on youtube are "making a living" doing it.

Where do you get that idea from?

9. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    For the sake of clarity, I did not call them all that but was referencing that first guy with that comment. I will say though that here in the US, don't know how many other cultures have to deal with this, we do have a lot of "stunted man children" in this country...but I will also say our culture sort of encourages this.

10. Ross Gowland

Ross Gowland Stunt Coordinator

Ross Gowland
    He has over three million subscribers. He’ll make money through advertising, Patreon subscribers, sponsorship, and personal appearances.

11. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I never thought anybody could make money doing unboxing videos. I was reading about how grade school influencers were being used by toy companys to promote sales. One of the examples was a 7 year old that made 22,000,000 last year just doing unboxing videos of toy surprises.

So it wouldn't surprise me if some of those guys are making pretty good money, especially if they get a lot of views or have a lot of followers.

12. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Producer

Wayne
    Yup, with enough viewers you can make at least enough so it can count as your full time job. Especially if you live in an area that doesn't have a huge cost of living.

13. Message #313 of 828 Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Third time for me today. Saw it with my kids and my oldest friend, the guy with whom I saw the original films when we were 10-16. It was a great experience.

We picked up a few things; one of the most interesting is: The opening scene is set on Mustafar, and Kylo finds the artifact in the remnants of Vader's castle from Rogue One. What looks like dirty snow on the ground is ash.

All four of us agreed that we like the movie more on subsequent viewings. My friend agreed with me that The Last Jedi left him cold; he wasn't moved by it (same with me). This movie had the opposite effect.

Daisy Ridley really is terrific in this. You feel what she feels. She makes the movie happen.

BTW, before the movie, one of my kids was talking to someone and mentioned that he'd seen the new Star Wars movie. "You did?" the man said, "How was it?"
    "It was awesome," my son said, "and by the way, did you know that Rey is a Palpatine?!?"

Ouch. Teachable moment.

SamT, TravisR and Tim Glover like this.
  14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    There is little doubt that this film's rating will increase for many people after repeat viewings. It's that kind of movie when initially viewed can look messy until you start to pick up things more clearly after seeing it again and again.

15. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I also think Adam Driver has acquitted himself nicely, not just in this movie, but in all three. IMO one of the better actors of his generation.

16. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Definitely. His character's redemption is a key plot point, and something I didn't think would be possible, but Driver makes it work. He is one of the better actors of his generation. Loved him in Black Klansman and this year's The Report.

TravisR likes this.
  17. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    His performance in Marriage Story is his best yet.

TravisR likes this.
  18. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Also looking forward to his starring turn in Nolan’s upcoming film. I enjoyed the nearly ten minute preview in front of my RoS showing. It’s funny, I hadn’t heard anything about an upcoming Nolan project but as soon as I saw the filming style I leaned over to my friend and said “oooh a new Nolan film!”. With the 9 minute preview it didn’t feature Nolan’s name, but after the movie we IMDb’d Tenet and she asked how I knew it was his film. He just has a very distinct way he films action sequences (as well as the audio effects he uses).

19. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    That’s funny. I did the same thing. I was alone but I said it to myself. That it looked like a Nolan movie.

20. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I don't really care for Driver's acting in these films. I'll have to watch some of "The Report" and see what he is like in that.