What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!) (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I even said "Aww" out loud when that happened, but yes it was still fan service for that to have happened right then.
You can call it whatever you want, but I'm not getting the sense that almost all people are criticizing it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I saw that review Reggie posted and YouTube showed other reviews by other people. There’s a lot of people doing review videos!

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
This might have already been covered, but... How did your fellow audience members react when Rey and Kylo Ren kissed?

About a third of our audience went absolutely apeshit with glee. Then they all moaned with grief when Kylo Ren faded away.

It sounded like it was mostly females. Do the ladies consider Adam Driver to be hot or something?

Mark

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This might have already been covered, but... How did your fellow audience members react when Rey and Kylo Ren kissed?

About a third of our audience went absolutely apeshit with glee. Then they all moaned with grief when Kylo Ren faded away.

It sounded like it was mostly females. Do the ladies consider Adam Driver to be hot or something?

Mark
My audiences were the complete opposite.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I like the drafting idea better... They needed a huge device in Snoke's ship to be able to track in TLJ, not something that could be done in a fighter, and not instantaneous as shown in TROS.

And if there is one terrible idea from TLJ that should be forgotten, it's the hyperspace tracking.

I thought so too, but perhaps in the time between Jedi and Rise they could have perpetuated the technology.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I was in A 80% full imax. No one that I could hear said anything during the movie except for the woman behind me did a sad awe early in the movie. After thst nothing.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I LOVED that Chewie got Han’s medal!
You know why? Because it was awesome. :) I don't understand why there's anything wrong with "fan service". The whole movie shouldn't be that but it was perfectly fine to spend 20 seconds on Chewbacca ending up with a medal to make long time hardcore fans smile.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You see, when a Dark Lord of the Sith and a women really love each other...

yes but didn’t said Dark Lord of the Sith (Palpatine) impregnate shimi with Anakin through use of his Jedi ability? That would make Palpatine Luke and Leia’s grandfather

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
yes but didn’t said Dark Lord of the Sith (Palpatine) impregnate shimi with Anakin through use of his Jedi ability? That would make Palpatine Luke and Leia’s grandfather
In The Phantom Menace, Shmi says that Anakin was a virgin birth. In Revenge Of The Sith, Palpatine says that midichlorians can used to create life indicating that that's how he impregnated Shmi.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Well, after living through the disappointment from fans with ROTJ, the divisive PT and now the hatred for the ST, I don’t think most SW fans have clue what they want from a SW movie. It must not be to have a good time because I’ve seen TROS twice and it has been a blast both times. I just don’t get it, what are people really wanting from these movies?

This is beyond just not enjoying a movie, I don’t enjoy much about AOTC but, I don’t spew hate towards those involved with the film. It’s pathetic and I question whether some of these people are really fans to begin with. How can you be a fan if you’ve hated everything except ANH and ESB?

All I know is that I have had the pleasure of living this ST trough the eyes of my daughter, who was 8 when TFA came out and is now 12 (my son as well, who is now 9, but my daughter is the SW nut). This trilogy is to her what the OT is to me. She enjoys all the movies and had seen them before TFA but, these are not some old movies dad was showing her. These are her movies and her characters. Rey is her Luke/Han. She has dressed as Rey for 4 straight Halloween’s. She loves this character. She loves these movies. When the credits rolled yesterday, her first words to me were “I have a new favorite move!”

I’ve had a blast watching this trilogy with her and I have genuinely enjoyed all 3 movies.

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In The Phantom Menace, Shmi says that Anakin was a virgin birth. In Revenge Of The Sith, Palpatine says that midichlorians can used to create life indicating that that's how he impregnated Shmi.

Right, so Palpatine is Luke and Leia’s Gramps. How can he be Rey’s at the same time?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
How can he be Rey’s at the same time?

I suppose because he created Rey's parent the old-fashioned way, and then that person had Rey. I'm not even clear on whether Palpatine fathered Rey's mother or father, which I guess doesn't matter because the movie doesn't say that it does, but that just speaks to how sloppy the whole thing was. It didn't actually give her answers about her parents; it just gave her answers about Palpatine.

I think the better question is, who in their right mind would want to have sex with Palpatine?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Better yet.....consensual sex.

I have to assume it was consensual because Disney would not want to promote the idea that one of their characters is a rapist, even if it is the evil Emperor.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think the "precise calculations" thing has been a lost cause for a while.

My only issue with the hyperspace skipping is that the TIEs stayed with him, don't really get that, unless they were "drafting" somehow. But whatever.

Yeah, I asked myself that question also, since I always thought they were short range, carrier based, fighters.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I suppose because he created Rey's parent the old-fashioned way, and then that person had Rey. I'm not even clear on whether Palpatine fathered Rey's mother or father, which I guess doesn't matter because the movie doesn't say that it does, but that just speaks to how sloppy the whole thing was. It didn't actually give her answers about her parents; it just gave her answers about Palpatine.

I think the better question is, who in their right mind would want to have sex with Palpatine?

In the film, Ren tells Rey that her father was Palpatine's son. Of course, it was another out of left field revelation, because there isn't the slightest bit of foreshadowing in any of the other films that Palpatine had any children at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks