What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Non-Spoilers! (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Name one corporation that doesn’t have the same concern.

Why would I have to qualify my statement about Disney by referring to other corporations? Lucas didn't sell to any other corporation. He sold it to Disney, so that is who I talk about. It wouldn't be any different if he had sold his "baby" to ComCast or any other monolithic corp. He gave up his right to feel betrayed as soon as he sold the company.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
In Star Wars you can't breath in space. It's established. Being in atmosphere is an explanation, but still a Star Destroyer is a huge thing, how low they can get?!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Why would I have to qualify my statement about Disney by referring to other corporations? Lucas didn't sell to any other corporation. He sold it to Disney, so that is who I talk about. It wouldn't be any different if he had sold his "baby" to ComCast or any other monolithic corp. He gave up his right to feel betrayed as soon as he sold the company.
I agree with that. My point is that all corporations are in business to make money. Disney is no different.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I agree with that. My point is that all corporations are in business to make money. Disney is no different.

Of course, but none of them is as far along the track of recreating the old studio system as Disney is.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You mean this

star-wars-rogue-one-star-destroyer-1.jpg

I always had the impression that Star Destroyers are so huge that they should not come close to the surface. How they can destroy stars if they are so mini! :)

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Wasn't there a scene from Attack of the Clones where a whole fleet of star destroyers was just taking off and well within the atmosphere? I could have sworn I remember that.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
4C64805000000578-0-image-a-5_1526633457946.jpg

And they looked so bad. Awful, like rendered on Play Station 3. And the Clone troopers were always 100% CG. They didn't even make real uniforms and real Clone troopers.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
And they looked so bad. Awful, like rendered on Play Station 3. And the Clone troopers were always 100% CG. They didn't even make real uniforms and real Clone troopers.
Our standards are different now than they were then.

And a big part of why we have what we have now -- digital cinematography, realistic CG characters and environments -- is because of the ground that George Lucas broke then.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It's not by today's standards, they looked bad then. It was at the time of release that it looked bad, especially Episode II.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I read that John WIlliams has finished recording the score for The Rise Of Skywalker.

I think I've mentioned it before long ago, but around 2011 or so I got to hear and experience John Williams conducting the Louisville Orchestra live doing a large selection of his amazing music. I'd been a big fan of his music since I bought the LP record of the very first Star Wars score in 1977, along with about a million other people. Anyway, for this concert in 2011 they released the playlist on Facebook about a week before the concert, and it was a very nice list. However, for whatever reasons "The Imperial March" has been a favorite of mine since 1980, and I made a small note on the FB listing saying it was such a wonderful list, but I just wished that somehow that piece might be added too. The night arrived, and I was there with my daughter, who was then about ten years old, and already a fan herself. John Williams walks onto the stage, so gracious and filled with humor and stories, and it seemed like the members of the orchestra LOVED him. I've seen many conductors conducting them, and almost always there is great respect, but my impression was that this was something more. Anyway, he announces that because of special requests they've changed their line-up here and there, and then they begin playing "The Imperial March."

The whole concert was magical and wonderful, with John Williams telling amusing and moving stories in between some of the pieces. My favorite story was the one he told about writing the score for Schindler's List. After screening the movie with Steven Spielberg right beside him in the director's own screening room, John Williams recounted that he was understandably overcome with emotion. He told Spielberg that he needed a little bit of time to think, and so he walked around outside and then returned. Williams told Spielberg that the movie was a masterpiece, but that he didn't feel up to the challenge of writing the music, and that Spielberg needed a better composer for it.

Spielberg replied, "I know. But they're all dead."

!lol! Everybody in the sold-out hall laughed, and then the lead violinist began a beautiful rendition of what I think is the most poignant tune John Williams ever wrote.

John Williams also told that same story, and said some other interesting things, when he was honored with the AFI Life Achievement Award. For fans, I think it is well worth watching this c. 5 minute video:

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
As much incredible music as Williams has made, I think the Main Title to Superman is just an incredible piece of music and the best thing he's ever done. And I say that as a massive Star Wars and Jaws fan.
Man that’s tough. But I gotta go with Jaws. I mean imagine Jaws without music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks