1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by SamT, Feb 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    That's an interesting interview. When she says at the start:

"There’s no source material."

It made me wonder. I know they have short treatments written by George Lucas, as well as access to Lucas himself. But does this just underline that they decided not to use very much of that at all?

2. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    And when she says:

"So you truly haven’t yet decided what’s next?
    No. We’ve got various things we’re looking at and various ways in which we can begin or not. As you can imagine. You know, do you go back? Do you go forward? All those questions are being asked. Do we stay in this galaxy? Do we go to another? The universe is never-ending. [Laughs.] The good news and the bad news. They have endless possibilities. It’s liberating, it’s exciting, and it creates a lot of pressure and anxiety as well."

It makes me wonder why, again, they don't talk to George Lucas and get some help from him.

3. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Because he sold the company and property for a reason? Because he's the one who keeps changing the Greedo scene? Because nothing he's done on his own since A New Hope has been good? Because we don't need another three movies trying to retcon the new trilogy? Because the fans in general will never be happy and will skewer him no matter what, screaming "bring back JJ"?

dpippel and Jake Lipson like this.
  4. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Feige doesn't have a light 2020 schedule. I assume you are referring to the fact that they only have two theatrical releases, and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier on Disney+, scheduled for 2020. But just because the slate of films being released is down Guardians 3 doesn't mean the wheels aren't turning on future projects. Feige will also be in production on four films for 2021, plus Loki and WandaVision, which both lead into the Doctor Strange sequel and therefore must be available in early 2021 before the film arrives in May. I really don't think there was any way that Feige's film could have come out next year. I also agree with Disney's strategy of putting Star Wars on a theatrical hiatus after The Rise of Skywalker, which gives more weight to this ending than it would have if they trotted out something else next December.

5. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
  6. Message #1066 of 1251 Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
  7. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I’ve said it before. I believe The next Star Wars film will be one previously unannounced.

8. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
  9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

^I hope that Poe is making another phony phone call to the First Order.

Josh Steinberg and Jake Lipson like this.
  10. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    An outline by Lucas doesn't count as source material in the sense that she's talking about. I think what she means is that many other successful franchises today are adaptations, so you can use the source material to guide your path forward. Marvel gets to rely on several decades of comic books to pick and choose what will make great cinema. Harry Potter had an exact map guiding the narrative because they were adapting the novels directly. Star Wars is just creating new narrative every time they make a film without a source. She's not complaining or saying it's too difficult or that they need to seek help from Lucas. She's just observing that it's a different kind of challenge than many of the other big franchises at the moment.

If they wanted to use the treatments Lucas wrote, I think they would have done that for this trilogy. Lucas wrote those envisioning them as direct sequels to Return of the Jedi. Disney went another way. Obviously, they still own the treatments, so it would be within their rights to exploit them, but I don't think they will, nor do I think they should. Moving Star Wars in a different direction means not making another sequel trilogy that is directly connected to the films we've already seen. Plus, if they wanted to make Lucas' treatments, they would either have to erase the continuity of the sequel trilogy or rework them to be sequels to The Rise of Skywalker that acknowledge the events of the sequel trilogy. Neither one of those options sound like a good idea to me. They already decided not to use those outlines. They'll move on.

Again, I don't think she is looking at this as a negative thing. Because they can literally do anything they want, of course it would take a while to hone in on exactly what it is that they do want to do. I've said this before and I'll say it again: even Rogue One and Solo are directly connected to the episodic Skywalker saga even though they're not a part of it. Rogue One's entire function is to set the board for A New Hope, and Darth Vader is in it. Our knowledge of Han's ultimate purpose in the larger Skywalker story means that's always on our mind throughout his prequel, even if there aren't any Skywalkers in it. But they've made a point of saying that The Rise of Skywalker is the end of the current saga and that whatever the next film is will be something different. Of course it's a challenge to develop something new for Star Wars when every film they've released over a 42-year period is connected to the one thing they're now ending.

Also, even if they wanted his help, why would George Lucas want to help them plot out the next thing? He did his Star Wars movies. He's also the one who called Disney "white slavers" after he didn't like The Force Awakens. It doesn't seem like there is much love lost there.

+1. Best comment I've read all day.

TravisR likes this.
  11. JimmyO

JimmyO Berserker
    Supporter

Jim
    I am sure no one else cares, but I am so glad they fixed Rose's hair. It looked so ridiculous in TLJ.

12. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    New TV spot.

13. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
  14. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    I love Star Wars so much I'm both looking forward to this movie, and I'm also kind of worried about it. Probably it's better to lower my expectations.

15. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    That's probably a good thing to do with anything in the world. The higher the expectation, the harder it will be for the thing to meet or exceed the expectation.

benbess likes this.
  16. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/rian-johnson-interview-knives-out-star-wars-last-jedi-1203410899/

"What’s the status of the other Star Wars trilogy you were working on?
    I’m still talking to Lucasfilm. They haven’t announced anything.

There were some rumors that your film might be the one that’s coming in 2022. Is that true?
    Every single day there’s a new thing. Until it’s up on StarWars.com, don’t believe it.

From David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to Colin Trevorrow, there’s been an enormous amount of turnover behind the camera on Star Wars. Why is it so difficult for directors to stay employed on these films?
    I can’t speak to the experience that anyone else has had. I would caution that other people’s sets are like other people’s marriages. You think you know what’s going on with them, but the only thing that’s absolutely true is that you’re wrong. I can only speak to my experience, which was an absolute dream from top to bottom, beginning to end. From Kathy [Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy] to Bob Iger to J.J. [Abrams] to all the craftsmen."

Sam Favate likes this.
  17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Maybe I'm just an optimist but "They haven't announced anything" gives me hope. Not to say that that will be the 2022 movie but if it was over and he was being diplomatic, I'd expect "I don't know yet. We'll see what happens."

18. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Producer

Wayne
    Wouldn't you think that Johnson would get a heads up before it appears on Starwars.com?

19. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    [​IMG]

TravisR and benbess like this.
  20. JimmyO

JimmyO Berserker
    Supporter

Jim
    Something about Finn's expression here makes me lol.

AshJW likes this.