What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Non-Spoilers! (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I wonder if they ended up using any CGI trickery. I don’t expect to see what they did in RO, but maybe some for medium/long shots, stuff like that.
I think it was explicitly stated early on that there wouldn’t be.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think they said they wouldn’t use a CGI Carrie. But I think that statement allows wiggle room for them to use digital tools to cut and paste elements of her performance into different environments and context. Something Lucas himself did with living actors on his most recent trilogy.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think they said they wouldn’t use a CGI Carrie. But I think that statement allows wiggle room for them to use digital tools to cut and paste elements of her performance into different environments and context. Something Lucas himself did with living actors on his most recent trilogy.
Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if they got a body double for a few shots where she's not facing camera or they need Leia to move in a certain way etc.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
They are definitely going to do that and cut and paste elements into new sets that are relevant to Episode 9.

What is a mystery and interesting to me is how come J.J. Abrams could only take elements and deleted scenes from his own movie Episode 7 and nothing from The Last Jedi?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I think it was explicitly stated early on that there wouldn’t be.

Well, yeah I heard that too, but one thing I know is that nobody is doing anything until the day comes when they do it.

Not saying it happened here, but just because they once said they weren’t doing it doesn’t mean that it didn’t happen. And again, I’m not saying what they did with Tarkin and Leia in RO which was literarily digitally recreating the character.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
They meant they are not going to do 3D fake actor Leia like in the Rogue One. No face performance created by a computer.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They are definitely going to do that and cut and paste elements into new sets that are relevant to Episode 9.

What is a mystery and interesting to me is how come J.J. Abrams could only take elements and deleted scenes from his own movie Episode 7 and nothing from The Last Jedi?

Does not seem all that strange to me. TLJ was another director's film. Johnson probably would have given Abrams permission to use pulls or negotiated some sort of deal but maybe Abrams decided he didn't want to go that route.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
They meant they are not going to do 3D fake actor Leia like in the Rogue One. No face performance created by a computer.
That's how I took the statement too.

Maybe it's as simple as they're stuck with a certain hair style or certain kinds of deleted scenes to choose from.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think Todd Fisher said something at some other point about them also taking footage from The Last Jedi, but I'm not sure where I read that so can't cite it. In any case, even if they did take footage from both movies, she was in supporting roles in both of them and they were not designed to feature her in a leading capacity, so there is an inherent limit to how much footage they had available. Given that, I'm surprised and pleased that her role is as big as he says it is.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Johnson probably would have given Abrams permission to use pulls or negotiated some sort of deal but maybe Abrams decided he didn't want to go that route.
I bet that Rian Johnson does not own one sec of the movie or anything else. They don't need permission or a deal from Johnson. They own everything. :)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
So any truth to these rumors I’ve been seeing of disasterous test screenings? Or just internet BS? (I find it kind of dubious they would do test screenings of Star Wars movies)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I wouldn't think they would want a chance of spoilers getting out more than a month before the movie is released.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
So any truth to these rumors I’ve been seeing of disasterous test screenings? Or just internet BS? (I find it kind of dubious they would do test screenings of Star Wars movies)
Was this "news" posted by a You Tuber named RianJohnsonKathyKennedyRapedMyChildhood or was it DisneyHasMurderedStarWars? :)

I'm with you, I can't believe anyone outside of the production and some of J.J's closest friends or collaborators have seen the movie.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They have never test screened any of the other films. Why would they start now? It doesn't matter how terrible the film may or may not be. It is going to make money. Who knows whether it will make as much as Disney would like, but it is still going to make them money. Most people think the prequels were garbage, but none of them lost money.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
They have never test screened any of the other films. Why would they start now? It doesn't matter how terrible the film may or may not be. It is going to make money. Who knows whether it will make as much as Disney would like, but it is still going to make them money. Most people think the prequels were garbage, but none of them lost money.

only thing I can think of is that the backlash against TLJ has got them thinking “we better make sure all audiences will like this one”. I still find it highly unlikely they test screened this movie for anyone though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks