1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by SamT, Feb 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

exactly.

2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    That is certainly a possibility. I think it will depend on execution, and we won't know for sure until we see it in 116 days.

Bryan^H likes this.
  3. AcesHighStudios

AcesHighStudios Stunt Coordinator

Mike Williams
    Always two there are, a master and an apprentice.

4. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    That's exactly what made Snoke's death so interesting, precisely because it broke with that trope.

5. MattBradley

MattBradley Second Unit

Matt Bradley
  6. The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    Sounds great to me. I thought TFA & TLJ were just OK - but, bringing the Emperor back from the dead is a great move, and definitely connects these films to the OT more than anything we've seen up to this point.

And, despite my lackluster feeling towards the first two films in the ST - I will definitely re-watch TFA & TLJ again (at least once each) before the new film comes out in December. I do definitely appreciate that each time I re-watch a SW movie, I notice something new/different each time.

True - though it was a different "universe", in TFA & TLJ Disney/Lflm. did keep some elements from the 1990's SW Expanded Universe (EU) novels/comics:

-Luke started a "Jedi Academy" to train potential young Jedi (aliens & humans). This was also referenced in TFA.

-Kylo Ren was Han & Leia's son, who turned to the dark side. Similarly, in the '90's/200X's EU novels Han & Leia had a son who turned to the dark side; this wasn't the same character as Kylo, but was still a similar theme/plot-point.

So, as you mentioned, there's no reason they wouldn't/couldn't use cloning as a reason the Emperor "survived" in these new films - if they thought that was the best explanation...since it did work well in the Dark Empire comics.

7. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    We don’t know if Palestine is back from the dead. It appears from the trailer that the wreckage of the second Death Star plays a part in the film; it may just be that he has a force ghost appearance. I love McDiarmid in this role and I’d watch an entire film of just him cackling, but I’m not expecting him to be in this for a great deal of screen time.

Tino and Jake Lipson like this.
  8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I hope not. Palpatine was Vader's to defeat, just as Vader was Luke's to defeat.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  9. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Kyle Ren is a character who worships Darth Vader. It makes sense to me that he would be interested in seeking out Vader’s mentor. But I suspect this is more about Kylo’s arc than it is about Palpatine being alive and well and running the whole show.

AshJW and Jake Lipson like this.
  10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Fingers crossed!

Jake Lipson likes this.
  11. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I would be inclined to agree that it's probably a small role -- and I do hope that is the case -- if not for the huge focus on him in that poster. If it is a small role, and yet he is placed central to the marketing campaign, that seems like it might raise expectations to the point where people will be disappointed. I wouldn't, because I really want the new film to focus mostly on the conflicts that The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi established, but some people might. We'll see.

12. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Anyone have further speculation on what they’ll be doing with Luke and what the name of the movie might mean?

13. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I think it's fairly obvious that the movie will use him in a Force ghost capacity as an adviser for Rey, in a similar capacity to how Empire and Jedi used Alec Guinness following Obi-Wan/Ben's death in the first movie. This is also part of why Luke's death didn't bother me in the way that it did for some others. If he just hopped into the Falcon and was along for the next adventure in 9, that would threaten to overshadow Rey, Finn and Poe. By killing him, it puts the focus distinctly on those three and makes the quest to defeat Kylo Ren primarily theirs, as opposed to his. Also, it allows him to be there in a different way than he was before, so it feels like that opens up more storytelling possibilities for him than if he had survived The Last Jedi.

As for the title, I have no idea but assume they are being deliberately vague in it. It feels very much as though it is purposefully incomplete, because we know Skywalker is a surname and they worded the title specifically to avoid telling us which Skywalker is being referenced. If it were "The Rise of Luke Skywalker," that would be a complete thought, or "The Rise of Ben Skywalker" (since Ben is the last of the Skywalker bloodline), or "The Rise of Rey Skywalker" (if they are going to change Rey's backstory and make her one, which I hope they don't.) Leaving it with just "Skywalker" seems like they're saying "You've got to see the movie to understand this statement," and I don't like that..

The other titles are complete thoughts. The Phantom Menace is a person, Attack of the Clones tells you that it's about the Clone Wars (although the clones never actually attack anyone in that movie, so the title doesn't make much sense, but it's not incomplete), and so on. The Rise of Skywalker is the only one that seems -- as of right now -- like an incomplete statement. Of course, it's entirely possible that it will click into place when I see the movie, but for right now it seems like more of the usual Abrams mystery box storytelling ran amok into the title.

14. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I don’t think there’s a correlation there other than they’re promoting a popular element that will generate fan enthusiasm.

Mark Hamill was given high billing and frequent mention in the TFA publicity materials and barely appears in that film.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  15. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Good point.

You are absolutely correct about the top billing. But I don't remember Luke being super-present in the marketing for TFA. I mostly remember people asking why he wasn't on the poster or in the trailers.

16. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    One of Luke’s two TFA scenes is shown in the trailer. His name is front and center on all the materials. And he was a heavy presence on the press tour. I am not saying it is 100% exactly the same situation as you seem to want it to be. I am simply saying that there is ample precedence for marketing seizing on elements that will put butts in the seats regardless of how big or small a role those elements play in the finished film.

Tino and Jake Lipson like this.
  17. Message #697 of 836 Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I honestly can not wait to see this movie when it comes out and between now and release day I will not be reading anything or watching anything about the movie!

Star Wars Collection April 2019a.

18. Message #698 of 836 Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    So I'm thinking this is all some JJ Abrams misdirection.. some Dagobah-cave like training or something, but it's a cool bit to put in the teaser.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TravisR likes this.
  19. Message #699 of 836 Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.

(Kinda sucks that the first half of this is all just stuff from the previous movies. TROS part starts at 1:12)

SamT, Sam Posten and Sam Favate like this.
  20. The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    You could very well be correct. It's clear his presence will be felt in the film, but whether he himself is still "alive" remains to be seen. In any case, nice that he's going to at least be referenced in the movie; great homage (at the least) to the OT. I.e., Palpatine remains the most evil, powerful, corrupt villain in the SW films.

Going along with this, I thought it was brilliant for Lucas to cast a relatively young actor to play Palpatine in Return of the Jedi. IIRC Ian McDiarmid was only in his 30's back in '83 when that film was released, so he was still around when the Prequel Trilogy (PT) films came out (TFM, AOTC, ROTS). And,since he was only aged to appear old & decrepit in ROTJ (but was really much younger), you could still buy that the same actor (who was older IRL) played the same role in the later PT films.

Side-note: Yes, I know a lot of fans hate the PT - but, not only did I enjoy the films - but I felt they were very much part of the overall Star Wars story/saga.

Bob_S. likes this.